Everything else

Editor’s Letter

February 2012: Obsession

Welcome to February! The theme this month is Obsession, and so we are indulging all of our creepy, only half-ironic interests in the sickeningly girly and sweet. Do not be fooled, however, by all the pink and hearts—there’s something really creepy about obsession too, you know? When I emailed our staff about what they wanted to write and take pictures of this month, lots of them were interested in stalkers and hoarders and Toddlers & Tiaras.

I would say we are a pretty qualified group to talk about obsessions of all kinds because most of us are bloggers, and I know that feeling the obsessive need to record everything is probably my biggest reason for using the internet as I do. I feel slightly less pathetic about it when I can assure myself that I am true to my obsessions in real life. Here is one of my many bedroom shrines that no longer exist:

Sometimes I worry about this passion I have for the ever-glowing flame of LIFE, though. I can only think of the part in Ghost World when Enid compliments Seymour’s room full of records and antiques and he says, “You think it’s healthy to obsessively collect things? You can’t connect with other people, so you fill your life with…stuff?” I have chosen to pretend it was a technical error in the movie’s sound, and we will put off discussing what obsession means for a social life until we’re on our next month. I’m sure what Steve Buscemi actually said was, “It is really good to be a hoarder and, Tavi, you are the best of them all. Please be my wife.” Speaking of, yes, this month will have quite a bit of the love stuff going on, too. May as well start that now. Along with acrostic poems, I write love songs. It’s a little embarrassing, and maybe I’ll regret putting myself out there later, but here goes anyway:

Why does glass cut through our love?
Why do you insist on [mumble]-ove?
You said to call, you said to beep
Now you’re not there, even though I’ve reached

It’s about one time when I was walking my dog and a house on our block had Kim Possible on their TV so I tried to watch it through the window without volume while my dog was pooping (and for the rest of the episode after that). Now that I have glamorized this profession, I would like to remind you that it’s not too late to submit something you wrote/photographed/drew/made/etc. regarding Obsession, or a picture of your own shrine that you might have. You should do it! I promise we are really nice (and pretty) (and cool) (and modest). Seriously, though, doooo it.

Love,
Tavi

• Susann February 1st, 2012 3:06 PM

Tavi, I really liked your poem/love song! You perfectly captured a very certain feeling!

I might finally submit something this month :)

xx, Susann

• mangachic February 1st, 2012 3:24 PM

Can’t wait!!! though i was looking forward to the social scene bosession when you guys mentioned obsession
    and since i’m 14 a month seems like a year.
    loved the poem!!

• KinuKinu February 1st, 2012 3:24 PM

Yeah!! Shrines!!

• Cruicked February 1st, 2012 3:32 PM

I am really excited about this month’s theme! I’m particularly looking forward to seeing everyone’s shrines. And Tavi, you are an excellent singer and I hope that your relationship with Stece Buscemi works out.

• TheLittleMermaid February 1st, 2012 3:38 PM

Tavi that bedroom shrine is beautiful! I would love to see pictures of any other ones if you have them. I just want to say that rookiemag is so well done, I love everything about it. I read your blog (the blogspot one) for a really long time and it has inspired me to to be creative with my personal style and to really not care what people think. You’re my idol Tavi.

• Tavi February 1st, 2012 6:37 PM

well thanks! i have a bob dylan shrine and a hole shrine to post too. and we have tons of AMAZING ones from readers that’ll really make you wanna be crafty.

• littleDani February 1st, 2012 3:39 PM

I regret not sending anything in :c I have a huge, almost creepy obsession with Disneyland.

• fizzingwhizbees February 1st, 2012 3:50 PM

Oh my goodness I’m so excited for this month!!! I can’t wait for the shrines.

• Abby February 1st, 2012 4:09 PM

Okay, I just wanted to take a moment to say how glad I am that I found Rookie. It’s literally the best thing ever (anyone catch the reference??). I’m just so glad that I have this community of girls to talk about anything with. I love that we can broach any subject, including terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days, masturbation, sex, rape, drugs, and silly things with no judgement whatsoever. I’ve been feeling pretty down lately, but came here and read a bunch of silly articles and the bad day one, and I instantly felt better. Thank you to Rookie writers and readers, too, for giving me such a great support community.

• brynntheredonethat February 1st, 2012 5:44 PM

The bad day article pretty much perfectly captured my bad days, AND how to fix them. I agree that Rookie is literally the best thing ever!

• tove February 1st, 2012 4:29 PM

YES! every single thing about this is freaking perfect.

• stylepukka February 1st, 2012 4:33 PM

omigawsh. that kim possible story. now my dad thinks i’m super creepy for staring at the computer then suddenly laughing.

stylepukka.tumblr.com
    stylepukka.blogspot.com

• MissKnowItAll February 1st, 2012 4:56 PM

so excited!!!!
    can i still send in a submission?

• amylaurel February 1st, 2012 5:18 PM

I had a very strange obsession with the Titanic when I was about 7 (the maritime disaster, not the film). I knew the exact numbers of fatalities, survivors, how many people were in each class, how many life boats were used and how many weren’t… how the boat broke up as it sank, what weird things were recovered from the wreck… everything. Recently met a girl who also had this obsession when she was younger. Needless to say, she is not my best mate…

Looking forward to this months posts! (Especially the one that’s coming up, that is teasingly just a photo of Ryan Gosling. YES!)

• Ginny February 1st, 2012 6:12 PM

That’s an awesome obsession!

• Jamie February 1st, 2012 6:49 PM

i was obsessed with the titanic too at that age. i read EVERY BOOK IN THE SCHOOL LIBRARY about the titanic. still kind of into it

• brynntheredonethat February 1st, 2012 5:42 PM

I have so many obsessions. So many. XD Right now, I’m working on a Where the Wild Things Are painting. But it will be a while until it’s finished (not because it’s intricate. Because I procrastinate.).

• February 1st, 2012 6:15 PM

“Why do you insist on [mumble]-ove?” – The beauty… My heart aches ;-)

• chelsear February 1st, 2012 6:30 PM

This is such a great theme! I am an expert at obsessions, especially when it comes to movies. Probably my biggest is Rocky Horror Picture Show. That cult following, yeah that’s me. I’ve probably seen the movie at least once a week since October, I quote it on a daily basis. In fact, I went to see the monthly screening of the film in my city just last Friday and then I brought it up in my Society class at school. Not that my Rocky obsession is fading but I’m moving into another, which is pretty much any creepy movie: from Eraserhead to practically any Hitchcock movie.

xo

• Phoebe February 1st, 2012 6:45 PM

I’m super excited for this month, luckily not bordering on obsession for it yet though, that would be awkward. I finally kicked my butt into gear and submitted something, but regardless, the theme is awesome and I can’t wait to read and see everything you come up with.

• Faith February 1st, 2012 7:34 PM

Ahh shrines. Is it too late to send some more in? I’ve made so many shrines in the past, but somehow they’ve all been “knocked” down like legos. Not intentionally to destroy them with a sinister smile on my face, that’s just shameful. I have sort of like this portable shrine. It’s in this boxy bag my mom used in college, with a lock! I feel so Adventure Time, weirdly, when I bring it everywhere I go.

• delirium44 February 1st, 2012 7:42 PM

Tavi, Rookie makes months go by so much faster. THANK YOU for creating it. Whenver I get home from school, I immediately check for the after school post, and I can’t wait until 6:00 when a new post comes up. Lately, I’ve been studying for exams (thank goodness they are over!) And Rookie has helped me get through this month!!
    Luv ya guys!<3

• Nomi February 1st, 2012 8:16 PM

but but but
    my obsession is rookiemag.com :)
    also: i write some songs too, and i never thought of the mumbling-rhyming trick. very clever Tavi.

• impromptulove February 1st, 2012 9:47 PM

Oooh I have so much I could say about obsession. Is there a deadline for submissions?

• Tavi February 1st, 2012 9:55 PM

the sooner the better, but any time the first 3 weeks or so of this month should be ok.

• Hedwig February 1st, 2012 9:52 PM

Nice obsession banner<3<3

• SpencerBowie February 1st, 2012 10:19 PM

HEEEEY!,

I hope it wasn’t too late to send in a playlist I made on 8 tracks for y’all!

Did ya get it? Do ya need a list of the songs on the playlist? If y’all don’t use it, that’s cool, I’m still Obsessed wit Rookie! :)

Just hope I wasn’t too late!

• Anaheed February 1st, 2012 10:39 PM

Hi, SpencerBowie! I just sent you an email.

• SpencerBowie February 1st, 2012 10:48 PM

THX! AHHH! Love ya Anaheed! Just sent back!

KISS! :)

• poppunkgurrrlx February 1st, 2012 11:19 PM

this is making me soooo pumped for this month’s theme!!!

• samhatt February 2nd, 2012 12:08 AM

looking forward to this month!! valentine-hearts-pink-kitsch bliss! :D

• Camille J-E February 2nd, 2012 12:29 AM

great quote from Walter Benjamin to do with hoarding and obsession: “The great collector, at origin, is affected by the confusion and the scattering of things in the world… Collecting, is not only about the assembly of things but compensates for the fragmentation of the collector himself”.

• Jamie February 2nd, 2012 9:16 AM

shit just got theoretical

put for real that’s a great essay

• RockinRollinLady February 2nd, 2012 1:44 AM

Rookie is the best thing on this here internet.

• rayano-banano February 2nd, 2012 7:41 AM

can I send in a photo of my shrine to Tavi?

Just kidding…I am!

• emily newton-john February 2nd, 2012 4:13 PM

The Leo background is breaking my teenage heart.

• OliviaBiba February 2nd, 2012 5:01 PM

Hi! Well, I never comment here, but… Leonardo DiCaprio was my obsession when I was young. I mean, he was every girl’s obsession, but this was more than TEN years ago, so I’m surprised to see his young pretty face here. But then again, this would mean that me, not being a teenager nor american girl, shouldn’t be reading this magazine… Huh.

• Elisa February 2nd, 2012 5:40 PM

omg LEO

• erin February 2nd, 2012 7:08 PM

Oh, I can’t wait for this month! Though I’m sad last month is come to an end (all the glitter! Bowie! glitter!), this month will be great! Great poem, Tavi. The amount of crap poems I have on my desktop about boys I’ve been infatuated with over the years, and the amount of times I used the words “adore” in them… is too embarrassing to submit to Rookie.
    keepingupwithunstuck.blogspot.com

• ThePuNkR0ckeR February 2nd, 2012 7:40 PM

:( You don’t put up your moodboards anymore. And what’s the theme for next month?

• Julia845 February 2nd, 2012 7:55 PM

oh, I’m so excited! as a seventeen year old girl I feel I can relate to this in a variety of ways (TV shows, books, plans, certain people…). I can’t wait to see how this month turns out!

• Sea goddess February 3rd, 2012 2:52 AM

Interesting theme Tavi….I shall look for the photo of Jonas Brothers posters that used cover my entire walls…Rookie is just about the BEST website, thankyou and thankyou again because you also inspired me to fully take my fashion side out! total inspiration! God Bless!

• radicalpossibility February 6th, 2012 11:55 PM

recently, I’ve been getting into riot grrrl bands, guess kathleen hanna’ll be getting a shrine

• KHansen February 10th, 2012 11:16 PM

Hi Tavi – Love your stuff!
    By any chance do you have small feet? I have a old 60s70s pair of Jerry Edouard boots which may be perfect for u!

• atticus February 21st, 2012 9:32 PM

what is next’s month theme so i can send stuff in?

• ella xx February 26th, 2012 1:07 PM

fab, love it xx

• clady February 27th, 2012 3:59 AM

i indeed don’t kow what is valentine but i like if someone gimme a bar of chocolate :)

good theme!