Sex + Love

Crazy in Love

My favorite obsessive young paramours.

Love! It can be so fun. It can also drive people insane! That’s when I get interested, because bananas, obsessive teen love is my favorite type of love to read about or watch onscreen or otherwise enjoy while it stays the hell out of my real life! Which is why the characters on this list are my favorite young lovers.

1. Sailor and Lula from Wild at Heart (1990)

This David Lynch movie showcases rampant teen sexuality at its craziest. After Sailor (Nicolas Cage) gets out of prison he meets his sweetheart, Lula (Laura Dern), at the front gates and they decide to run away to California, away from Lula’s crazy mother and Sailor’s parole officers. When these two lovebirds aren’t being total metalheads and moshing in the desert, they’re having wild sex and breaking the law any way they can. I love Sailor and Lula because they are just so WEIRD. I love when he serenades her in the metal club with his own rendition of “Treat Me Like a Fool” I love how she is this colorful, gum-popping, Marilyn Monroe–type character who will always wait for Sailor no matter how long his prison sentences are. Not to mention that they can’t keep their hands off each other, that’s how obsessed they are. Aw, young love!

2. Jade and David from Endless Love (1979)

“The love every parent fears!” Ahhh! Endless Love is the story of Jade and David, two teenagers who are so madly in love with each other that houses are set on fire and restraining orders filed in order to keep them apart. Although Jade’s bohemian parents are open-minded about the relationship at first, they set boundaries once Jade’s schoolwork and whole LIFE start to suffer (she can’t sleep at night because they’re having too much sex and being in love and STUFF). But parental restrictions are no match for insane teen love! I wish I had a boyfriend who would burn my house down because he loves me so much! (Just kidding. Or am I?)

Although Scott Spencer’s novel was adapted into a movie starring Brooke Shields in 1981, the book is soooo much better. Seriously, read the book. It’s emotional and overly dramatic and devastating. It’s one of the most romantic novels I’ve ever read in my life.

3. Bella and Edward from the Twilight series

They might be the couple that you hate to love, love to love, or love to hate, but one thing is for sure: Bella and Edward are definitely obsessively in L-O-V-E. It’s sort of hard to understand why they are so attached to each other—perhaps Bella’s blood is Edward’s personal brand of heroin, or maybe Edward’s beauty is just irresistible to Bella. Maybe it’s because nothing EVER happens in Forks, Washington, so resorting to twisted forms of love (vampire + human isn’t exactly a normal relationship) is the only thing to do! And Bella and Edward’s drama-queen affair, with its many INTENSE trials and tribulations, is so fun to watch/read. Remember when Edward saved Bella from that gang in the first book by swooping in from nowhere and rescuing her? And don’t forget that time when Bella could barely live after Edward left her in New Moon! Wow, love sure can make you crazy (and a vampire!).

4. Pauline and Juliet from Heavenly Creatures (1994)

There’s some question as to whether Pauline Parker and Juliet Hulme were actually lovers, but they were definitely obsessed with each other—so much so that they were driven to commit murder when their parents tried to separate them. In this movie, based on a true story, the girls (played by Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey) maintain a fiercely loyal bond that spirals into a strange and disturbing relationship and draws them deeper and deeper into a fantasy world of their own making. Side note: in real life, the girls were convicted of killing Parker’s mother; after serving five years they were released on the condition that they remain apart for the rest of their lives. Juliet Hulme became the mystery writer Anne Perry.

5. Deanie and Bud from Splendor in the Grass (1961)

Bud (Warren Beatty) and Deanie (Natalie Wood) are in love, and they want to DO IT. But it’s 1928, and their parents are all up in their business. Her parents are like “you have to remain a virgin until the day you are betrothed” and his dad is all “if she won’t do sex with you, find someone who will!” and Deanie and Bud do the worst thing possible: they obey. It all goes downhill from there, and Deanie goes mad and is institutionalized. Which goes to show you: never listen to your parents; it will drive you insane.

6. Edward and Kim from Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Although their first meeting is messy and awkward (wouldn’t YOU freak out too if you found a stranger with SCISSORS for HANDS sleeping in your room?) not even a broken waterbed can keep Edward Scissorhands and Kim Boggs from falling in love. Even though her asshole boyfriend sees Edward as a freak, Kim stands by Edward when nobody in the town will. The pretty, popular cheerleader and the pale, scarred scissor boy don’t make a good couple on paper, but that’s why their relationship is so perfect. It’s the most unconventional kind of love, the kind that is doubted by all and nearly impossible, and therefore just incredibly TORTURED and PASSION-FILLED. How romantic and amazing is that scene of Kim dancing under the snow that Edward hand-crafts for her? Decades later Kim hasn’t forgotten Edward, retelling the story of their time together. OH WHY didn’t they stay together forever! WHY!?!

7. Romeo and Juliet

DUH. This is the story that all teen love stories after its publication in 1597 are—directly or indirectly—influenced by. The idea of unrequited young love dates back to antiquity, but Romeo and Juliet’s story bottles up all of those heart-crushing teen emotions that come with falling in love and then spills them all over the page/stage/screen. For R&J, life without each other is just not worth living…and so they kill each other/themselves! I mean, they must’ve been REALLY in love, you know? ♦

• MissKnowItAll February 13th, 2012 7:18 PM

Especially when Romeo is Leonardo Dicaprio.
    PS what about Forrest Gump and Jenny?

• Emilie February 13th, 2012 10:06 PM

I fully agree on BOTH accounts :)

• missblack February 13th, 2012 7:41 PM

Haha when I was ten I was OBSESSED with Romeo and Juliet and I had my mom buy me a copy of the play for Christmas and I read it like twenty times.
    In retrospect, its a good thing I didn’t fully understand Elizabethan English.

Also, can you even imagine how awesome Twilight would have been if instead of a paranormal romance it was a psychological thriller about two teens who get so bored in their tiny town that they get obsessed with each other and go insane and stuff? Yeah I would read THAT book.

Little&Trivial

• mwong1025 February 14th, 2012 11:01 AM

Egh, THAT would be epic. But whatever I still think Harry/Hermione is better.

• moonchild February 13th, 2012 7:48 PM

Harold and Maud!! They aren’t BOTH young per say but they still count, right?

Love the list!
    ~Gwen

• shaunathedead February 13th, 2012 7:52 PM

Mickey and Mallory Knox from Natural Born Killers!

Alabama and Clarence in TRUE ROMANCE!

These two crazy-in-love couples should definitely be added to this list.

• christinachristina February 14th, 2012 12:25 PM

THANK YOU. i was hoping these two would be included, so thanks for adding! my boyfriend and i are going to watch true romance tonight before fancy dinner. <33

• Marguerite February 13th, 2012 7:53 PM

casting Leonardo as Romeo is the best decision somebody ever made in their lives!

Edward Scissorhands is one of my fav. movies!

I hate the Twilight movies, but love the books! Like the plot isn’t even that good, but the intense love between edward and bella, I WANT IT! I WANT IT SO BAD! im obsessed! thats why i hate movies so much, because their bad acting and the worlds lack of real looking special effects ruin it.

• Marguerite February 13th, 2012 7:54 PM

oh and edward is so much more attractive in my mind :)

• mwong1025 February 14th, 2012 11:03 AM

I still think Robert is more attractive as Cedric, you know ~ Potterhead problems…

• queserasera February 13th, 2012 8:02 PM

yeah, i agree, i think heavenly creatures was more about obsession than actual love. kate winslet as juliet was so gorgeous! one of my favorite movies ever

• queserasera February 13th, 2012 8:08 PM

also my favorite fictional couples are: sid & cassie, emily & naomi (of skins) and pete & catherine (of twin peaks. they are old and so adorbs!) that’s all i can think of right now….

• Anna F. February 13th, 2012 8:15 PM

May I nominate Cry-Baby and Allison (Johnny Depp at his FINEst) and Kit & Holly in Badlands?

• KusterBeaton February 15th, 2012 9:03 PM

I second Kit and Holly, they were the first couple I thought of when I saw the article. SO crazy in love.

• I.ila February 13th, 2012 8:16 PM

Edward Scissorhands. Makes me cry. every time.

Also, tavi, you sounded really nice last night! I saw the video on thecut.com

• puffytoad February 13th, 2012 8:35 PM

Like OMG! Love is so fun!

• lemonade February 13th, 2012 8:59 PM

I love these movies, Hazel! I also can’t wait for Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom… That love story will be so cute!

• littleDani February 13th, 2012 9:01 PM

Edward and Kim!!! The most heart wrenching part? When Kim asks Edward to hold her and he’s like “I can’t…” AGHGHGHGHHHHH </3

• Eve4565 February 13th, 2012 9:11 PM

Heathers too!

• heygirl February 13th, 2012 9:21 PM

^true dat!
    What about Noah and Allie from the Notebook? (I know, I know, but I’m such a sucker for romance. I can’t help it!)

ALSO Matthew and Mary from Downton Abbey!!!!!

• MissKnowItAll February 15th, 2012 6:43 PM

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yesssssss!
      Matthew and Mary were meant to be together. But I still cried when Lavinia died anyway:(

• Elicia33dix February 13th, 2012 9:30 PM

Amazing choices !!
    Edward and kim are the best, thanks for that article :)

• norienoire February 13th, 2012 9:32 PM

Splendor in the Grass is one of my favorite movies. It’s almost painful to watch because I think, to some degree, everyone has experienced those sort of obsessive-y/love-y-dove-y/ passion-y feelings before. And whether your experience was more similar to Jeanie’s or Bud’s, it has that unique potential to make you squirm and feel oh-so-dramatic.

• Pia February 13th, 2012 9:38 PM

Hello?!!??! How could you forget the perfect obsession that exists in the triad relationship between Michael Pitt, Louis Garrel, and Eva Green in The Dreamers? I suggest an amendment!

• doloreshaze February 13th, 2012 9:52 PM

GREAT picks! My favorite is “Jules and Jim”, the B&W French film directed by Francois Truffaut– it’s about two guys who are good friends and the woman that they both fall in love with. The whole movie is romantic and sad and a little crazy thanks to her antics. <3

• Sonja February 13th, 2012 10:02 PM

this is such a great list. ENDLESS LOVE is totally out of control. it’s one of my all-time favourite movies. Ever. And James Spader is in it. I have the LP soundtrack on display in my current shrine (stand-out track: I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU by KISS (their sell-out disco hit and best song IMHO. Also ‘Dreamin’ by Cliff Richard is excellent). Now i want to read the book. Thank you, Hazel!
    PS i think judy blume’s Deanie was named after the Deanie from Splendor in the Grass which has now been added to The List.
    PPS Endless Love turns me into an excited nerrrrrrd. Hence above spew of pop cult detritus that lives in my brain. must (over)share.

• geekchic February 13th, 2012 10:14 PM

What about Buffy and Angel? Actually, Spike and Buffy might be even better…

• coralgirl February 13th, 2012 11:33 PM

What about Layla and Billy in Buffalo ’66? … Maria and Matthew in Trust?
    the almost/imagined in my mind relationship between Audrey Horn and Agent Cooper?
    Mike and Scott in My Own Private Idaho?
    Thomas and Vada in MY GIRL?!
    Angela and Émile in une femme est une femme?

• ninnie February 13th, 2012 11:39 PM

What about Lana and Brandon from “Boys Don’t Cry” ?

• marimba_girl February 14th, 2012 12:00 AM

you can’t forget Ron and Hermione! They were destined to be together since Ron saved her from the troll in their first year (even though Hermione probs could have handled it herself). Harry and Ginny however need not be put on the list :)

• Antionette February 14th, 2012 12:01 AM

This list is perfection.

• 3LL3NH February 14th, 2012 12:01 AM

Amelie. is perfect obsession. And what my love life resembles at the moment, so it SHOULD count!
    I also agree with whoever mentioned Harold and Maude.
    And I want to say Edward Scissorhands is the best saddest thing ever.

• timelady February 14th, 2012 5:30 AM

Yes! Agree so much. Her and Nino are obsessive in the adorable, harmless sort of way.

• Sue Denim February 14th, 2012 12:22 AM

What about Cathy and Heathcliff? He loves her so much he digs up her dead body. AWESOME!!! I use the “I am Heathcliff [but inserting crush’s name” line all the time. I love the book and the ITV Tom Hardy version is pretty good too.

• Abby February 14th, 2012 4:02 PM

We should be friends. Seriously, that is the most romantic book EVER.

• Sue Denim February 15th, 2012 12:05 AM

Friends fo’ sho. When Cathy died I cried myself to sleep like a baby.

• Kate February 14th, 2012 5:14 AM

Rose and Jack from the titanic! I know they’re not teenagers, but they’re still pretty young. It’s the best love story EVER. I normally start crying when she says ‘I’m flying Jack!’ because it’s SO romantic and then I just don’t stop until the end of the film. In some ways, I think it’s more tragic than Romeo and Juliet, because she has to carry on living for all those years without him, and tries to have a life without her one true love. I’m getting teary just thinking about it. Also, Kate Winslet is a MAJOR bonus.

• Filia-Zissy February 14th, 2012 9:31 AM

May I propose Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson? They are no proper couple, I know, but their friendship is so deep and they are fascinated by each other! For me they are in a way lovers.
    (But maybe I just watched “Sherlock” BBC too often.)

• mwong1025 February 14th, 2012 11:04 AM

I believe in Sherlock Holmes ~

• Hunter February 14th, 2012 10:54 AM

Bobo and Lu-Lu from Polyester ;)

• isabellehungryghost February 14th, 2012 11:34 AM

oh, bella and edward. they are so damn in love with each other! in some way, they are super cute, but, they cry all the time! they cry for loosing each other, loving each other, leaving each other, marriing each other, making babies, getting babys… you can add what you want to this list. they cry about everything.

• Susann February 14th, 2012 12:16 PM

“Endless Love” sounds like something I’d like to see/read…

• KayKay February 14th, 2012 1:24 PM

We did Romeo and Juliet in english class last year and our (awesome) teacher made it really fun and exciting… you won’t believe how many dirty jokes there are in it, haha!

• ponyboy February 14th, 2012 1:55 PM

I love Edward Scissorhands and Heavenly Creatures (though it was rather disturbing)! Romeo + Juliet is also wonderful. Another film that might fit this category is My Summer of Love, like Heavenly Creatures it’s about two girls who have a kind of obsessive relationship. You should check it out, it’s great (plus it has Emily Blunt in it, I adore her). :)

• Mallrat February 14th, 2012 3:01 PM

You should check out TRUE ROMANCE, Quentin Tarantino’s first flick. Featuring Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette. Amazing.

• oggmogg February 14th, 2012 3:11 PM

YES!!!!!!!!! sailor and lula are perfect!!!!!!!! sailor and lula 4 ever!!!! but hazel girl, yer killin’ me!!!! the song he sings to her is called “Love Me”!!!!! elvis 4ever!!!!!

• Stephanie February 14th, 2012 3:32 PM

These are so awesome!!!! I really need to rewatch Wild At Heart, it has been too long. And Edward and Kim, ahhhhhhhhhh so perfect. Seriously they have to have the most awkward first meeting on the planet. The wrecked waterbed, so classic!

• preachypreach February 14th, 2012 6:21 PM

am i the only person who hates wild at heart?

• Lucy February 14th, 2012 6:22 PM

Natalie Wood! OMG, I love you!!!!!!!!!!!

• Toria Crux February 14th, 2012 8:34 PM

Edward Scissorhands rocks! ;) The waterbed probably hates him though…

• Besu February 15th, 2012 10:59 AM

Aw Edward and kim so sweet!

• coppolagrrl February 15th, 2012 11:47 AM

What about Cathy//Heathcliff? I don’t know, that sort of seems the archetypal ‘crazy in love’ relationship, or maybe I’m just obsessing, I don’t know.

• Lascelles February 15th, 2012 1:57 PM

Just want to put my vote in for teen Catheath with coppolagrrl, Abby and Sue Denim! “I am Heathcliff”? You don’t get more obsessive than that :D And the 1939 Laurence Olivier version too (sorry sue). Oh and when it comes to totally obsessive made up worlds, Heavenly Creature diaries are okay but nothing compares to the Bronte’s. I have faith Rookie will get to it or is just ignoring it because it’s just too obvious. I mean how do you talk about obsessive love without mentioning the teen staple of Bronte? Oh and Jane Eyre the 1997 version with Laura Harling is the best IMHO.

• MissKnowItAll February 15th, 2012 6:44 PM

Sybil and Branson, William and Daisy,and Bates and Anna (all from Downton Abbey)