Style

Ladies of the Night

How to dress like a rebel runaway, glam-rock groupie, party tart, or disco doll.

When I first saw the punk-rock classic Times Square (1980), I had the craziest crush on Nicky Marotta, the rebel girl with the voice of a thousand cigarettes. After escaping a psychiatric hospital, Nicky and poor little rich girl Pamela Pearl become the Sleez Sisters, a runaway duo who raise their middle fingers at authority, drop televisions off rooftops, write angsty songs, and befriend a radio DJ named Johnny LaGuardia (played by my other crush TIM CURRY). Nicky is a layering expert, wearing everything from animal-print jumpsuits, the bad girl’s trademark leather jacket, knit tunics over sparkly tights, garbage bags, bank-robber-style eye makeup, and band buttons on everything. I can see Nicky screaming the lyrics to her song “Damn Dog” in this star tunic from Lulu’s ($48); these House of Holland star tights ($27, ASOS), a Cordobes-style hat from Lulu’s ($46); and Doc Martens from Urban Outfitters ($115). DIY your own Times Square pinbacks with a badge maker ($30, Badge-A-Minit)! Start with a few that say “Damn Dog,” “Rock Hard” (the girls’ favorite Suzi Quatro song), “I ♥ Johnny LaGuardia,” and of course one that says “Sleez Sisters”!

Velvet Goldmine (1998) is about a fictional Ziggy Stardust-like rock star named Brian Slade, and the ’70s British glam-rock scene. Brian Slade’s glittering platforms and cotton-candy hair are pretty amazing, but we have to give props to his wife, Mandy, played by Toni Collette. As the first lady of glam, she goes through just as many looks as her pop-idol husband, but one thing is constant: her love of leopard print! You can’t get any more fancy than a leopard-print coat, like this one by Dolce Vita ($128, Urban Outffiters). Command the dance floor in red leopard-print skinny jeans ($60, Torrid) and Senso’s platform booties ($150, Solestruck). Get these rock ’n’ roll necklaces from Girl Props ($4 and $9) and decorate yourself with some Starlight Glitter Body Art ($35, Urban Decay). And what could be more ’70s than roller skates ($199, Urban Outfitters)?

200 Cigarettes (1999) is one of favorite movies ever! Christina Ricci and Gaby Hoffman play Val and Stephie, two teens from Ronkonkoma wandering around New York City looking for Val’s cousin’s New Year’s Eve party. In their bright outfits and high heels, they stir up some trouble with some cute punk rockers. Copy Gaby’s New Wave look with a boyfriend blazer ($68, Fred Flare), a striped skirt ($19, Lulu’s), and red tights ($15, Modcloth). If you’re not feelin’ high heels, get a cute pair of flats like these hot-pink heart ones from ASOS ($45). You’ll need them when you’re running around tryin’ to find the pah-ty! Top it off with some loud accessories like these banana earrings from Girl Props (&9) and this leopard clutch from Topshop ($70).

Detroit Rock City (1999) is another one of my all-time favorite flicks! It’s about a group of rock ’n’ roll lovin’ teen dudes who go on a mission to see their favorite band: KISS! On the way to the concert, they meet a laid-back disco chick played by Natasha Lyonne. Her style is PRETTY killer. Get it yourself by wearing TONS of cute jewelz on your fingers—mood rings from Gone Blue ($3), glamour kitty ring ($25) and apple ring ($15) both from Modcloth—and Revlon Red (about $5, drugstores or Revlon.com) on your nails! Keep warm in a furry cropped jacket Forever 21 ($30) and gold glittery tights ($12, We Love Colors). I have some of these zodiac doorknockers ($8, Girl Props) myself, and I think they’d be perfecto for this disco diva. Just don’t forget the Lip Smackers (8 Piece Party Pack, $10, Color and Flavor Shop).

In Almost Famous (2000) Kate Hudson plays the unforgettable Penny Lane, the band Stillwater’s #1 fan. But don’t call her a groupie, she’s a “Band-Aid”! In her long furry coat and purple-tinted sunglasses, she steals the hearts of golden gods and young music journalists alike. Be inspired by her boho-hippie style with this shaggy coat from ASOS ($109), a pair of lace flared pants ($43, Lulu’s), a fringe bag ($41, Lulu’s), and some purple shades ($6, Forever 21). You’ll definitely be the coolest girl on the tour bus. ♦

• Susann January 5th, 2012 3:32 PM

I’ll have to catch up on those movies! This is some great inspiration :)

xx, Susann

• voo January 5th, 2012 4:39 PM

where are the fabulous stainssssssss?

• Microbyte1 January 5th, 2012 4:44 PM

Detroit Rock City is the beest !

• applyironreveal January 5th, 2012 5:40 PM

sooooooo glad you mentioned Times square!!!

• MissKnowItAll January 5th, 2012 5:42 PM

My question is off topic but how many submissions do you guys include each month?

• Anaheed January 5th, 2012 6:30 PM

It’s different every month. But generally between two and five?

• PlainLo January 5th, 2012 5:57 PM

You guys totally won me over featuring Velvelt Goldmine in this article!

It’s impossible not to feel the urge of putting some glitter eyeshadow on after watching it.

• SpencerBowie January 6th, 2012 12:24 AM

I KNOW RIGHT! Mandys make-up at the press conference is awsome! Green, Orange, and Yellow! SO COOL!

But the suits and boots and coats are so cool!

• Stephanie January 5th, 2012 6:23 PM

I need ALL of these clothes and accessories. Or at least one thing from each example. Combined that would be quite the look wouldn’t it?

But love that you did Velvet Goldmine. I spent a year totally obsessed with that movie and I dressed the part too. I had these great velvet 6 inch platform boots that my mom yelled at me all the time for driving in. I may have to dig those puppies out.

Also I’m ashamed to say I have never seen Times Square. I will remedy that immediately, especially because that star tunic is my biggest must have on this post!

• SpencerBowie January 6th, 2012 12:30 AM

I love Velvet Goldmine! I didn’t at first because Bowies my number 1, and he didn’t much care for the movie.

But I got over that! Roxy Music and T. Rex songs are still in there so I love it anyway!

But just wanted to say, driving in platforms is hard! You gotta move the seat back! :) But you were in big-girl-high-heeled platforms, I wear wedged or guy platforms. Little easier!

Heres to never compromising giant shoes! :)

• Sugar January 5th, 2012 6:29 PM

You just raided my closet for this!

• Dick January 5th, 2012 8:21 PM

UGH! I’m starting to get jealous!

• Gabrielle January 5th, 2012 8:22 PM

Nice! I <3 alot of the movies mentioned! Happy to know I'm not the only one out there :)

• Amy Rose January 5th, 2012 11:05 PM

a resounding YES PLEASE to a leopard coat. also, i just got a leopard turban-style hat that i wear more or less constantly.

• pinnedtothepage January 5th, 2012 11:41 PM

:O that sounds prettyyy awesome! what does such a hat look like? is it fluffy?

• roxy January 6th, 2012 12:26 AM

omg Times Square!!! I love this movie to PIECES and I just can’t believe not too many people have watched it.
    Also, amazing post.

• SpencerBowie January 6th, 2012 12:39 AM

The Velvet Goldmine layout is just me! I love what Brain Slade wears in that movie! But I also LOVE Christian Bale’s style in that movie too! The T-shirt with all the pins on it! COME ON!

I guess it’s also perfect I finally found a desent W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L pair of platform sneakers yesterday at a thirft store! Little goo-gone to clean ‘em up, new laces, and I’m ready to rock!

If y’all ever want me to make a glam rock Male fashion layout…don’t hesitate to ask! Glam can be for everyone! ;)

Okay now I gotta run have a watch of this movie!

ROCK ON! SPATTER GLITTER EVERYWHERE Y’ALL!

• Motherfunker January 6th, 2012 11:19 AM

yayay. penny lane = my idol when I was 11. (can’t lie, she still is a teensy bit even now…)

• missblack January 6th, 2012 5:37 PM

How did I not know about 200 Cigarettes??? Christina Ricci + Gaby Hoffman = my two FAVE PEOPLE!!! THANK YOU ROOKIE!!!!

Little&Trivial

• taste test January 6th, 2012 6:01 PM

I kind of fail at fashion, but I always look forward to these posts anyway because of the epic movies in them. I spent most of my life thinking I hated movies, but over the past year I’ve realized there are awesome movies out there that I just never heard of. Almost every movie you’ve featured in these posts has gone into my To Watch Next Summer list.

• cro_easy January 7th, 2012 7:40 AM

After I read this article,I watched all of he movies in one night and decided too become a “Band-Aid”, like penny lane .
    See you at the next crystal castles – concert :D
    xoxo

• flowerpunk January 7th, 2012 6:13 PM

Penny Lane is so amazing omg, I was obsessed with her when I first saw Almost Famous… I love these style posts, they’ve made me more confident in the way I dress and they keep giving me ideas! Thank you :)

• Bean January 9th, 2012 8:09 AM

We finally, after way too many years of looking, found the perfect Penny Lane coat! It’s the right color and has the fluffies like it should. It was a triumphant day. Especially because we’ve had an exact copy of a shirt that Saphire wears for as long as I can remember. Miss Penny Lane is just fabulous.

• Megangib January 9th, 2012 2:17 PM

You should watch the movie “About Adam”… Kate Hudson style in that movie is awesome.

• Sphinx January 10th, 2012 8:11 AM

Velvet Goldmine and Almost Famous are some of my favorite movies! As soon as I saw they where in this list I knew I had to watch the other movies too!
    Now Times Square is one of my favorites too, thanks Rookie! (I had never heard of this movie before,I wouldn’t have watched it if it weren’t for this)

• soybrain January 11th, 2012 12:27 PM