Dear Diary

January 11, 2012

Habits, old and new.

Ruby

When I was really little, I decided it was wrong to eat animals. I also decided it was wrong to eat eggplant, pumpkin, egg yolks, cottage cheese, spinach, almonds, mushrooms, blueberries, peanuts, and a way-too-long list of other things.

When I was in elementary school, my mom took me to a nutritionist. She told me to start eating apples with peanut butter. So I did. And I discovered that I loathed every kind of peanut butter except the Skippy smooth kind.

I was forced into pescetarianism for a while, which is basically being a vegetarian who eats fish. I learned that I despised shrimp and salmon, and I never even tried lobster. It looks at you! Gross! (Secret: I’ve always loved clam chowder, but I was too stubborn to eat it.)

My picky eating didn’t get in the way of my daily life too much, except for having to bring a sandwich to school every day and barely touching the food that I got on an airplane and asking for all these substitutions in restaurants and wanting to be polite at friends’ houses, but simply not being able to eat what they had for me. OK, fine. It got in the way a lot—not to mention the health issues and the fights at the dinner table.

I’m not going to tell you that I had some magical epiphany and started eating all of the things I hated at once. I didn’t. I will NEVER eat eggplant or lobster, but I might make an exception for blueberries or egg yolks if they’re cooked or served with other things. I just have to start tricking myself into thinking I like things. If I eat spinach and cheese dip with chips, it’s super delicious, but I’m also eating spinach. And smoothies are good, too, with chocolate protein powder and fruit and stuff in it. And, finally, I just had to learn to sometimes eat the things I hate. Usually I don’t, but if I’m at a friend’s house, I’ll just force it down.

I’m still pretty picky and I’m still a vegetarian, but I’m slowly becoming more healthy with every little trick I discover. Maybe, eventually, I’ll stop acting like a spoiled brat, learn to eat what I’m given and have an easier time in restaurants. Until then, smoothies and apples with peanut butter will have to suffice. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• Narnie January 11th, 2012 8:05 PM

Katherine- that was so beautiful and so honest. It’s exactly how I feel about high school too.

• maebefunke January 11th, 2012 8:14 PM

Ruby, Holla at another Rookie veggie!
    One day when I stop being lame, I will submit a post about being vegan (except for really good pizza). Mainly because the world NEEDS to know this vegan shepherds pie recipe.

• Fortune_Goddess January 11th, 2012 8:17 PM

Ruby! You are me. *creepiness*

• I.ila January 11th, 2012 8:55 PM

Dylan – That is me all the time. I say “Oh yeah, we should meet up this weekend” and then I never actually do. Somehow I wind up on Sunday with a pile of homework and I haven’t gone outside my house.

• moonchild January 11th, 2012 8:57 PM

Hey rookie! sorry I accidentally posted a comment with nothing in it! (didn’t mean to hahaha)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I LOVE this weeks diary! w00t w00t vegetarian power… UNITE!

• bunny2015 January 11th, 2012 9:21 PM

I”m from Seattle, I’m still here and I TOTALLY understand about the weather Dylan!

• caro nation January 11th, 2012 9:28 PM

Minna, that apple dress is KILLER. WHERE IS THAT FROM?

• Minna January 11th, 2012 10:49 PM

Oh golly!! I found this picture in a 1976 German magazine.. I also found a pic of a bed with like vinyl cherries as the bed head. I died. So to be honest the dress probably isn’t on the market anymore.. If you search on ebay for like 50s fruit dresses or cherry dresses or something you never know what you’ll find though! :) :) :) tutti frutti!

• Nasstasja January 11th, 2012 10:09 PM

I have 5 months left of high school too and the same feelings are starting to hit me. I simultaneously feel too old and mature for high school and too young for college. Crapppp. I just want out of school

• acatfollowedmehome January 12th, 2012 1:11 AM

Katherine your diary today was truly beautiful. So honest. The part where you talked about the boy who killed himself and how you can know people in little ways. How he once told you you were funny.

• kirsty January 12th, 2012 7:32 AM

doh i’m moving to seattle later this year, this doesn’t inspire much enthusiasm dylan! although saying that, you’re comparing it to san francisco’s weather, whereas i’m coming from scotland…it’ll feel like hawaii to me!

• Dylan January 12th, 2012 12:00 PM

Seattle is a gem. I love it so much. But the winter just sucks…but I guarantee you, not as much as Scotland!!

• kavalier January 12th, 2012 7:51 AM

Naomi, that diary entry is beautiful – it reads like poetry.

I can relate, in a way. I’m about to enter my last year of high school and I’m basically scared shitless at the possibility before me: to succeed, or to just totally bomb out. There’s so much potential in my life right now. Theoretically, I can do anything, and it’s terrifying.

I love reading your entries every week.

also: kjdhfgkjdfhg BON IVER

• Naomi January 12th, 2012 10:51 AM

esdrftyghuiuyt BON IVER!!! (we have the same reaction to bon iver)

• kavalier January 12th, 2012 9:33 PM

it’s the only proper reaction, let’s be real

• rhymeswithorange January 12th, 2012 7:01 PM

Ahhh I agree with all of this! You are my favorite rookie writer, naomi. Your entry is just inspiring.
      And I feel the same way about bon iver!!! I swear half my diary is “BON IVER IS SPECTACULAR FANTASTIC MAGICAL AMAZING”

• vadergurl January 12th, 2012 10:54 AM

I can relate to this so much. I ate fairly normal until I turned about four or five, then I decided no more meat, no more veggies, little to no fruit, no eggs, basically nothing but grain and dairy products. I keep finding articles online and Anderson Cooper did an episode on his show about extremely picky eaters. I like feeling less alone. Maybe someday I’ll try to “fix” my eating habits, but it’s not any easy task when you’ve been used to it your whole life.

• KayKay January 12th, 2012 11:56 AM

I’m generally not a picky eater, but I cannot stand some things [mushrooms, foie gras, cheese [only melted cheese is okay], abalone, shell fish [like mussels and clams and oysters], shrimp that still have the head on them [gawd, it's gross], organs [like kidneys and liver], celery, fennel and bird’s nest, to name a few).

Especially not bird’s nest; it’s this chinese delicacy made of bird saliva… I’m serious, bird saliva. And the worst thing is, I once ate it without knowing what it was, gah.

• Ruby B. January 12th, 2012 6:00 PM

Katherine, that was beautiful.

• MissKnowItAll January 12th, 2012 8:59 PM

OMG so happy to find a veggie rookie like me. I’m lacto-vegan tho…

• martina January 13th, 2012 2:11 AM

oh dylan i totally feel you on seattle winter hell. the constant grey is just so exhausting, having to leave my bedroom for more than a couple of hours becomes quite the ordeal. still, i love this city terribly.
    also, wow katherine and naomi’s diaries were so beautiful this week.

• taste test January 14th, 2012 5:43 PM

Katherine, your post on high school is so great and relatable. I’m also a high school senior, and I also both love and hate high school right now- hate it because it’s so predictable and frustrating, but love it because it’s what I know and I am lightyears away from being ready for college.

• The Emma Edition January 16th, 2012 11:29 PM

Katherine, I loved your diary post, especially the part about sitting with someone silently at lunch. I think there is such a thing as unawkward silence… sometimes its just nice to eat lunch, you know?

• elenamarie January 17th, 2012 10:56 AM

Okay so… I am a vegetarian,who eats fish. I wanna be a vegan but I don’t know how I could eat anything!! Where I live,there is absolutely no vegan restraunts or stores in sight! My cousin is a vegan, but she has a lot of health problems that i think I would get if I became a vegan. Help!