Music

Friday Playlist: Hanging Out With Effy Stonem

Songs for a dangerously good time inspired by our favorite bad girl.

Sneaking out every. Single. Night. Hanging out with Effy can be sort of dangerous, but I guess that’s what you should expect from such a daredevil party girl. Her taciturn ways and destructive personality make it hard to get through to her, but Effy will always be a crazy queen of the night.

So smear on the glitter eyeliner, get your brother to distract your parents, and slip out tonight to dance until the break of dawn with Effy Stonem. Just don’t get into TOO much trouble!

Hanging Out With Effy Stonem from RookieMag on 8tracks.

• maureen7 January 13th, 2012 11:15 PM

I love Skins. I also love this playlist.

• 777minus111 January 13th, 2012 11:18 PM

Gloomy moody girl who looks like a pubescent boy.

• puffytoad January 14th, 2012 10:57 AM

Are you the gender police?

• julychild January 14th, 2012 6:42 PM

In my opinion, the point of this website is for girls to stick together, and not put each other down. I guess we do not share the same opinion. Be kind, please.

• Hannnah January 16th, 2012 4:02 PM

haha I totally took that comment as a compliment to Effy at first!

• sovietkitsch January 13th, 2012 11:37 PM

Wasn’t expecting to see Skins related stuff here! Effy isn’t really my fav character (I have to be cliche and say it’s Cassie), but I can say this playlist is totally incredible and Stonem-ish!!!

As I can’t get into much trouble since I’m at home right know, I’m just going to pretend I’m a psycho teenager partying in a odd forest with friends and mushrooms while I listen to this.

• AnnaCQ January 13th, 2012 11:52 PM

YES! This is too perfect. Rookie just keeps validating all of my interests and makes me feel so damn good. Much <3! Go Hazel!

• Tavi January 14th, 2012 11:45 AM

You don’t need us to validate your interests! But in any case, yay at mutual interests <3

• Snacky Onassis January 14th, 2012 12:00 AM

This is a perfect tribute to Effy! Well done, Hazel.

• gr-ass January 14th, 2012 1:13 AM

this was the best idea in the whole wide world. i would love to spend a day with effy. or cassie. or chris. or cook. or anyone from skins really.

• Rhianna January 14th, 2012 2:35 AM

Nice to see a bit of Skins on Rookie!
    My American penpal once told me that she envisioned all of our lives in England to be like an episode of Skins; which for the most part is completely false.
    I said It’s more like an episode of US Skins; a down rate, PG-13 version filled with a load of unoriginal, undeveloped characters.
    Yeah I really didn’t like the US version, which is surprising as they are usually better.

• Jodie January 14th, 2012 9:54 AM

Thats actually quite surprising I’m also from England and pretty much me and my friends lives are alot like skins…
      It has calmed down abit now we’re not all at the same colleges/sixthforms.
      Ahh now im reminiscing excuse me whilst I go shed a tear :’)

• ghostworld January 14th, 2012 2:40 AM

effy is my role model. i feel like a sacred gem has been exposed right now.

• Susann January 14th, 2012 3:16 AM

I love that you listed Lykke Li!

• hellosailor January 14th, 2012 3:47 AM

This is so perfect.

• EmmaAmerica January 14th, 2012 5:08 AM

Yes. This.

Skins gen 1 and 2 were pretty much the best thing ever.

[url]http://inthissummerhaze.blogspot.com[/url]

• EmmaAmerica January 14th, 2012 5:10 AM

Gah. Skins is the best thing ever. And so is Effy. Except for that bit where she gets brain washed… that is kind of weird. But what ever. Gen 1 and 2 skins were awesome.

[url]http://inthissummerhaze.blogspot.com[/url]

• airaburabu January 14th, 2012 8:49 AM

This is absolutely brilliant.

• ellajean January 14th, 2012 9:22 AM

My sister’s best friend cousins is the actress who plays her, she came to my house once, I almost pasted out. Love Skins and Effy, and this playlist is so so good!

• Georgie January 14th, 2012 9:40 AM

Oh, Rookie. I officially love you and your officially epic playlists. Please just continue your awesomeness, okay?

• rachel January 14th, 2012 11:27 AM

yes! uk skins! The kind of thing I wish I could watch it for the first time all over again.

• hellocat January 14th, 2012 1:13 PM

When I saw this I did a double take and squealed. Rookie. Just. Way to go.

• EveyMarrie January 14th, 2012 1:22 PM

I like Effy, but I’m so a Cassie or Maxxie fan. I’d love to hang with them… leave some killer tap moves or watch the clouds FOREVER. haha

• Hazel January 14th, 2012 6:34 PM

Maxxie is my favorite Skins character! And after that is Chris and Cassie, then Naomi from Season 2.

• Halloween Valentine January 14th, 2012 1:26 PM

Only if it’s season 1 Effy.

• oonsie January 14th, 2012 1:41 PM

This mix is great, is there any way to download it?

• Anaheed January 14th, 2012 6:13 PM

No, for legal reasons, 8tracks doesn’t let you download these mixes. I’m not saying there isn’t probably someone, somewhere on the internet, who has figured out a hack for this problem. I am just saying that I have not found that person. (I also haven’t looked.)

• Roz G. January 14th, 2012 1:59 PM

yay for crystal castles, cut copy and css all on the same playlist
    loved annie too… I’d never listened to her :)

• erin January 14th, 2012 3:27 PM

I love Skins! Effy isn’t my favorite character, which is Cassie, but still, this is fabulous.

• go-panda January 14th, 2012 3:49 PM

this is wonderful, not only is the music fantastic (lykke li, m83, cut/copy and crystal castles, wooooo) but it’s related to skins- possibly the best thing ever. you are truly lovely, hazel!

• pirateliat January 14th, 2012 4:05 PM

Yay! I love this mix. It’s definitely Effy-esque. Even though I’m not a clubbing-all-night type of gal, I am enjoying listening to this mix in my PJ’s on a Saturday night and dancing around, nonetheless.
    And my fave Skins character is definitely Cassie. ♥

• Stephanie January 14th, 2012 5:00 PM

YES!!!! Love this playlist! I spent the last two weeks of December watching the first four seasons of Skins and while I must say I loved the first cast best (Cassie! Sid!), I do love me some Effy, so I was super excited to listen to this!

• Anaheed January 14th, 2012 6:14 PM

I will never understand what Cassie saw in Sid. Didn’t she seem too good for him? I know I am about to cause an “internet flame war.”

• Hazel January 14th, 2012 6:32 PM

I think he was the only boy who (well, at least for a little while) actually loved her. Nobody, not even Cassie’s parents, loved her. BUT THEN SID SCREWED UP BIG TIME.

• thebrighterside January 14th, 2012 5:53 PM

i really love the Empire of the Sun’s Walking on a Dream and Cut and Copy’s Nobody Lost, Nobody Found!

• Minella January 14th, 2012 6:32 PM

I was pretty sure you guys could’nt get any more awesome, and then you started talking asbout Effy Stonem.
    SO SO SO MUCH LOVE

• koolkat January 14th, 2012 7:44 PM

ugh i NEED to watch skins sometime!

• tinygnome January 14th, 2012 8:23 PM

love annie, love crystal castles, love cut copy, love british tv shows! this inspired me to watch skins, which i’d only ever seen once before, and now i’m hooked right before midterms :(

xcrellent playlyst! keep em coming, rooksters

• teevee January 14th, 2012 9:31 PM

The camping trip was an amazing episode. I swear I almost passed out during the mushroom trip/fireworks thing. I loved Cook! In spite of how lame the writing got by the end of Generation 2 Season 2, he was so good. Cassie and Cook for me, and Effy when I need to break hearts!

Also, it’s cool that you put in CC’s Black Panther! I always think of Tony when I hear Alice Practice, obviously. Siblings!

• EmilyD January 14th, 2012 9:44 PM

I love Skins so much. I love the way they make characters who initially seem unlikable so incredibly real and complicated and lovable. Panda is actually one of my big style icons. All those colors and patterns and comfy shoes topped by a big goofy smile.

• rubyhobbit January 14th, 2012 11:39 PM

I remember that episode… I miss that cast :(

• sitandmakenoise January 15th, 2012 1:33 AM

it makes me happy that i know almost all these songs. its almost like being cool

• Jessie January 15th, 2012 10:08 AM

I’m glad Cold Cave are on this playlist, I love them! Confetti is a great song by them.

• amelia January 15th, 2012 10:50 AM

i really hate effy’s personality but her style and vibe and LOOk is undeniably amazing. i remember watching this season in parallel to all of my friends and all of us trying to emulate effy’s clothes, makeup, attitude. haha, good times!

• Veganpop January 15th, 2012 12:14 PM

Ahhhh I love this. I have a slight wonderance (I don’t think that’s a word but dammit I’ll make it one), do you (anyone) have any suggestions for good music by queer women? I don’t know of anyone but Tegan and Sara. ):

• mouse January 15th, 2012 1:58 PM

*Effy from the UK series- I almost wept when I saw the US trailer.

• MissKnowItAll January 15th, 2012 2:16 PM

I NEED TO WATCH ME SOME SKINS!!!!!

• Jillian January 16th, 2012 10:40 AM

Love it! Was wondering when I’d see a good Skins reference :)

• hazeleyedgirl January 16th, 2012 1:02 PM

I loved Effy as a character because it helped me to see my condition (bipolar disorder/manic depression) played out on screen and also, her portrayal of the condition helped a lot of people to understand what I was going through better. Like, sometimes when I tell people I’m bipolar they’re all, oh! Like Effy from Skins?
    Well done Rookie, an amazing playlist!

• maddzwx January 16th, 2012 2:23 PM

I love Effie. I think every girl secretly wanted to be like her. Cool playlist, too! I was really happy to see two great songs by CSS and Lykke Li on there. <3

• monkeyfoofoo January 16th, 2012 2:39 PM

As I was reading the comments I saw no M83 love. what the heck. teen angst should be another song included in this soundtrack. and possibly a monthly theme.

• Hannnah January 16th, 2012 4:03 PM

I hate Effy Stonem (like, it’s passionate) but love this playlist. So… good job?/!! :D

• AliceBuu January 17th, 2012 1:10 AM

Effy is like one of those characters that make me wanna be a party girl, she is totally gorgeous, as this playlist.

• chickencaseydilla January 17th, 2012 11:27 PM

SKINS for LYYFFEEE i wish i was effy

• juliebean980 January 18th, 2012 5:45 PM

I love this playlist so much! Why won’t it let me replay it?! :(

• kate January 22nd, 2012 3:03 AM

this is perfection!

• doris101 February 8th, 2012 11:31 PM

I am finally watching skins uk after years of temptation. I know I am sounding so cheesy saying this but, skins is making a huge good impact on my way of seeing life. I totally loved the playlist! great work!

• figgy April 7th, 2013 3:17 PM

Oh goodness I love this playlist beyond words <3 Well done Hazel and well done Rookie!! If only I could escape my mundane life in rural NJ for a night and have some real fun with Effie and the rest of them…. Sigh….

• alexis dooley April 13th, 2013 4:44 PM

this playlist is too perfect! i love effy!

• pansycakes May 18th, 2013 1:04 PM

I love Effy so much ! she’s so intriguing as a character. Also,I LOVE her clothes <3