Everything else

Editor’s Letter

January 2012: Up All Night

Happy New Year, Rookies! Our theme this month is Up All Night, which means the partying kind of up all night, but also the staying up late to watch TV alone or write a paper kind of up all night. Nighttime is the BEST time for the latter because the whole world is asleep (except like half the world but whatever). It’s a kind of alone that doesn’t feel lonely. There’s a real freedom to it, actually. Nobody will interrupt your Netflix marathon. It’s easier to be creative, since you’re less aware of other people and their annoying brains and opinions. It is not actually that great for paper-writing. I hate myself every time I am writing a paper at 3 AM. I do not condone it. Here is a list of names I have saved school papers under on my desktop:

poop farts
piece of shit
i hate everything
i hate everyone
lol cry
ugh

Though I may be too busy mumbling under my breath about school and agonizing over what to call a file that would soon become “poop farts” to actually partake in club culture, I’m fascinated by it, especially all those wacky kidz who have the stamina to boogie into the wee hours of the morn. Also, glam rock! For some reason glam rock made a lot of sense for Up All Night. David Bowie is a real hero of ours this month.

And as far as going dancing goes, I can get down in the privacy of my own home just fine! Here, actually, is my bedroom-dancing playlist. Proceed with no caution, and all of the confidence of Maria von Trapp.

Illustration by Minna

I’m writing this right now at night, so I’m in that weird mode I was talking about where you don’t comprehend the idea of other people existing and having their own opinions, so I’m ready to write, like, anything. Actually, I’m feeling like really artistic right now. Hark! An acrostic poem just poured out of my soul onto my computer!

U is for typing “U” instead of “you” because I’m tired.
P is for “Please send pizza,” an email I frequently get from Anaheed when it’s late.

A is for Amy Poehler, because nighttime is obviously the best time to watch Saturday Night Live, and Amy is my favorite cast member of recent years. Some of my favorite sketches of hers are “Kaitlin at the Mall,” “Bronx Beat,” “Live With Regis and Kelly,” and the Palin rap.
L is for “loser,” a thing my sister might say when she comes in my room late at night to see I’m testing different cereals in a jar of Nutella while lying in bed.
L is for lying in bed with a jar of Nutella testing different cereals in it.

N is for Nutella.
I is for I don’t know why the guy who invented Nutella hasn’t called me to be best friends yet, I just dedicated four lines of my dang acrostic poem to his product and now I really want Nutella and like if it was free that would be really cool OK thanks.
G is for “GNO,” one of my favorite Hannah Montana songs.
H is for “HNO,” the working title for a song I’m writing, short for Harry’s Night Out, about a middle-aged man getting up in the middle of the night and going outside to water his plants.
T is for This poem is over I am going to bed.

Love,
Tavi

• fizzingwhizbees January 2nd, 2012 3:06 PM

I’m MAD excited about this theme. Also, if you actually wrote and recorded “HNO” I would probably buy it.

• Susann January 2nd, 2012 3:13 PM

The best Editor’s Letter so far! It made me laugh a couple of times (“GNO” and Nutella were the best, obviously).

Happy New Year Rookie – I can’t wait for many more inspiring posts!
    xx, Susann

• Dylan January 2nd, 2012 3:24 PM

Expect emails from me that just say “P L” from now on. You can decide which “L” I’m talking about.

• Jungle Ju January 2nd, 2012 3:37 PM

Dancing in your room on “Blister in the sun”?You girl are watching to much of “My so called life”, I can see :D

• WonderKid January 2nd, 2012 3:40 PM

I’ve been waiting for the day Rookie was going to delve into the awesome world that was glam rock…Thank you, Rookie! Pretty sure this will be the best month yet if Bowie is the inspiration.

• SpencerBowie January 3rd, 2012 1:12 AM

I KNOW! Glam is soooo good! Can’t wait!

• Maialuna January 2nd, 2012 3:45 PM

Tavi. I love you and your beautiful acrostic poem. It brought tears to my eyes.

• Nishat January 2nd, 2012 3:51 PM

Okay… like when is David Bowie NOT a hero? Also this is the best and I’m too excited and I almost cried laughing about the file names because if anybody went through my computer my file names are the stupidest. Ever. I’m excited for this month.

• Toilets January 2nd, 2012 3:56 PM

Happy new year to you too!

I test different fruits in Nutella because then I can pretend I’m being healthy.

• maddie January 2nd, 2012 4:13 PM

so glad to hear someone else does that as well. Bravo, my friend, bravo.

• moonchild January 2nd, 2012 4:10 PM

YES! DAVID BOWIE AND NUTELLA AND WATERING PLANTS!

HARK!

hahaha chortle chortle.

Gwen

• Lucas January 2nd, 2012 4:11 PM

Best editor letter ever, but also best playlist ever in rookie history!
    I love almost all of the songs!
    You go rookie staff, 4 for you Rookie staff!
    Regards from Barcelona

• bohobambi January 2nd, 2012 4:21 PM

I guess this month I’ll be embracing my “night owlness”. I have weird names for my files too. A recent one is called “psych sh!t” because I didn’t want to write that god damn paper.

• EmmaAmerica January 2nd, 2012 5:11 PM

haha the poem about nutella :)

I’m really excited/happy about this months theme, it looks really awesome :)

Emma

• mangachic January 2nd, 2012 5:13 PM

Love the poem!! Happy New Year’s and enjoy your Nutella which isn’t available here
    I’ll probably stay up to cry over the lack of Nutella.

• Kathryn January 2nd, 2012 5:14 PM

This was the funniest editor’s letter, and I am super excited to dance to the playlist alone in my room and stay up late and regret it in the morning!

• January 2nd, 2012 5:29 PM

When the moment of inspiration struck, as well as alerting we humble readers of it, with a cry of “Hark!”, did you also raise your index finger in the air, open your eyes wide in excitement and anticipation, and then hold the position for a few moments? :-) But seriously, your acrostic poem is great, Tavi – really funny :-) And just coincidentally, did you know that if you read all the letters that begin each line from top to bottom, then they spell “Up All Night”? ;-)

P.S The Beatles! <3

• soybrain January 2nd, 2012 5:42 PM

BOWIE FOR THE WIN! I’m hyped for Januari.

• ladyjenna January 2nd, 2012 5:48 PM

Um, Daniel, that’s the point of an acrostic poem. Don’t mean to be a jackwagon. But yeah. (Plus, luuuuvv the theme…how about a list of top ten foods to eat past eleven?? Nutella being number one, gummy bears a close second.)

• ladyjenna January 2nd, 2012 5:49 PM

whoops that was supposed to be a reply to daniels…..whatevs

• i-think-that-i-would-die January 2nd, 2012 5:49 PM

Ahh, this is the best editor’s letter so far. I’m so excited for this theme :D This is one of the coolest playlists so far too. I’m obsessed with all things Bowie and I love the Cyndi background and omg my mind is going into overdrive BLONDIE AND NUTELLA OK

• Marguerite January 2nd, 2012 6:00 PM

haha-best bday present so far today! a poem from tavi!!

• Nives January 2nd, 2012 6:12 PM

It’s really awesome how the editor’s letter is finally here and I get to read it before bed time(I’m from Croatia,it’s midnight here) and how tomorrow morning I’m gonna wake up and the other new articles will be waiting for me to read them. I’m just so excited.

P.S. Does the fact that I’m 19 and absoulutely mad about Rookie make me a weirdo?

• mwong1025 January 2nd, 2012 6:18 PM

Would you guys accept it if I write a poem declaring my love for Nutella? Because eating Nutella is like having an orgasm except it’s in your mouth.

fadingspirits.tumblr.com

• MissKnowItAll January 2nd, 2012 6:46 PM

Reading this is one of the best birthday presents I have gotten today. Thanks Rookie!!

• Anaheed January 2nd, 2012 6:50 PM

Lots of birthdays today. Happy birthday, MKIA!

• Tavi January 2nd, 2012 9:16 PM

Happy birthday!!

• Emma S. January 2nd, 2012 6:57 PM

Best poem of all time, Tavi.

• juliette January 2nd, 2012 8:05 PM

I’m looking forward to hearing HNO. Which gardenia will he water first!??

• Jamie January 2nd, 2012 8:11 PM

YEAHHHH OMG YES CAN’T WAIT

• Mushroom Princess January 2nd, 2012 8:17 PM

haha I liked your folder names. one of mine is “dumbwork” and “killme”

• Microbyte1 January 2nd, 2012 8:25 PM

when the rocky horror song began i screamed of joy !

• isadora January 2nd, 2012 8:43 PM

When I think Rookie can’t get better, you choose Bowie as the month hero!
    Actually, when it comes to my relationship with him, it’s more like next month’s theme: obsession etc etc.

A Happy New Year to all the Rookie team. I’m so glad I found out about Rookie last year. (:

• SpencerBowie January 3rd, 2012 1:21 AM

I KNOW! The playlist has been the best i’ve seen on here!

YAYAYAYAY!

• Laia January 2nd, 2012 8:51 PM

best.

what an awesome month it’s gonna be!

• lelelola January 2nd, 2012 8:54 PM

this made me laugh so. freaking. hard. love you tavi!!!

• marimba_girl January 2nd, 2012 9:33 PM

Nutella is basic; it’s its own foodgroup in my house. I eat it out of the jar with a spoon! Soo yum:)

• Dick January 2nd, 2012 10:03 PM

This is my theme! Stoked! Sleep is for the old. Is it too late to send in something?

• lyss January 2nd, 2012 10:21 PM

I have a feeling I am going to be extremely pleased with this month’s issue if there’s more David Bowie involved…

• rroseselavy January 2nd, 2012 10:45 PM

This is lovely.
    The file names reminded me of how once I wrote a whole poem at the end of a very stupid essay to my teacher, with a lot of “EAT THAT” and “I DON’T NEED YOUR CAREBEAR CENTRAL ANYWAY.” Ah, I just wish I had accidentally turned that in too…

and also… SO EXCITED FOR THIS THEME

• Jenny January 2nd, 2012 11:12 PM

THIS IS THE GREATEST MONTH AND THE GREATEST LETTER! Also every single paper I’ve written for high school, college, or grad school were titled FUCKTHISPOOPINBUTTHOLELETMESEPPAKU.doc and once I forgot to resave it and sent it to a very stern professor who smiled. Um, oops. I can’t wait for the articles this month!

• norienoire January 2nd, 2012 11:13 PM

OH SWEET DAVID. I kind of can’t get over that picture, all that makeup…and then a bunch of bananas of all things in the middle of it. I’d think that he’d like to ingest something a little bit more awesome like glitter and rainbows. Or just some bedazzled bananas, ya know? But whatever, this is going to be an awesome month.

• missmoustache January 2nd, 2012 11:58 PM

i would just like to say that i had a dance party in my room all by myself at night (ie: i jumped up a down like a spazz during huddle formation). why yes, this is what winning at life is.

• SpencerBowie January 3rd, 2012 1:11 AM

OMG! Okay so THIS IS MYYYYYYYYYYYYYY MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glam Rock IS my middle name, (And Bowie my user-last-name!), and I can’t wait to see how many other lovely Rookie-philes like moi’ LOVE DAVID BOWIE! ….and TAVI!

Also the playlist is so good! Toucha toucha toucha me is tha BEST! And if you wanna get into Glam Rocky Horror is a fresh start for the new year!

Know whats a shame tho. I really do stay up all night ’cause I work in a retail store and don’t go in till like 3 in the afternoon! Yet, I saw y’alls little box asking me about my late night escapades, and did not submit a THING! DAMN! Regretted that as soon as I saw Bos, (yes my pet name for David Bowie is Bo), picture on the mood board for this month!

But all this just proves that next months “Obsession” theme is gonna be the on I submit to. LOOK OUT FOR RANDOM DAVID BOWIE OBSESSIVE LOVE-NESS COME’IN YO WAY!

Also, I love the Cyndi Lauper bg. ;)

• greygardener January 3rd, 2012 1:45 AM

hate to bust your theoretical balls, but what if the creator of nutella was a gal? i’m a firsthand witness to the power of the italian matriline, especially when it comes to food, so it isn’t unlikely at all! as a sidenote, nutella on icecream is a magnificent makeshift magic shell.

but i am a firm believer in the all-nighters. there’s no better time to catch up on the twilight zone and read awesome e-magazines. :)

• erin January 3rd, 2012 1:58 AM

hahaha, this made me laugh creepily- creepily because I’m sitting alone in my room late at night too!

• Blou January 3rd, 2012 3:36 AM

Love this letter, the playlist is amazing!
    Also, this theme could not have been better timed to match up with my life right now.

• ghostworld January 3rd, 2012 8:05 AM

how exactly does cereal taste with nutella Tavi?

• Tavi January 3rd, 2012 10:26 AM

depends on the cereal. i like rice krispies and special k the best though.

• bex January 3rd, 2012 9:15 AM

I am looking forward to this month so much, especially as David Bowie is the hero (ilovehimilovehimilovehim). Thing is, I’m not even very good at staying up all night. I tell myself that I’m going to stay awake, but I always end up playing a few songs on the ukulele and then passing out around eleven.

This playlist is awesome by the way. I try to do Janelle Monae’s cool one-foot shuffle dance thing to ‘Tightrope’ every time I hear it but fall over.

• Flower January 3rd, 2012 3:39 PM

I am so excited for this month too!
    And Nutella is THE BEST.
    A few months ago I accidently cut the top of my finger off and instead of reaching for a plaster or anything like that I just grabbed for the Nutella, and by the time I had finished the entire jar it was fine- which prooves that Nutella has magic medicinal qualities.
    Except when I suggested to a surgeon friend that she should just give people a jar of Nutella rather than operating on them she was seriously freaked out. Not quite as freaked out as when I tried to borrow her scalpel to sharpen a pencil though…
    Wahey, that was relevant.
    But at the moment i have organised the contenst of my computer hard drive into 2 folders; :) and :( which contain such cryptic folders as ‘vaccinesomghearttzzzzz’ , ‘MY 214TH BURPDAY’ and ‘piles of pooey ugly shit that i hope will die POOO’.
    Well that was relevant too.
    Okay you’ve probably guessed that its late here.
    Night.

• Claire January 3rd, 2012 8:39 PM

Haha, I have saved so many documents as “shit” throughout the past 3 years, my computer has had to modify their names to things like “shit001″ and “sh” to avoid duplicate titles. Also, that might just be the greatest acrostic I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

• MechaMech January 3rd, 2012 8:45 PM

Last semester I saved my papers under names like “PAPEEEERRR AAAAAHHHHH” and actually found it quite cathartic. We might be on to something here.

• Tanya January 3rd, 2012 10:21 PM

I am in love with your acrostic poem

• Paloma January 4th, 2012 2:23 AM

Glam rock yes… I JUST WANT TO BE LIKE ELTON JOHN.

• timelady January 4th, 2012 4:10 AM

Happy New Year! The playlist is awesome (how can anyone go wrong with the Violent Femmes or She&Him?) I dance, alone in my room, to Florence and the Machine, singing badly at the top of my lungs. And yay for Bowie!

• smilingrottenflesh January 4th, 2012 1:57 PM

so i was listening to this seated, sans grooving, feeling like one of eddie izzard’s stubborn anthropomorphized pears. until… track 3. cut to me -> RIPENING ALL OVER! :]

• Alison January 4th, 2012 8:24 PM

Oh, I love this theme!!! So excited. Have you heard of the 70s magazine named “Star”? It was a fab glam groupie mag; “Up All Night” made me think of it right away: http://www.star1973.com/star05book/

• kelsey January 5th, 2012 12:53 AM

Dude. Okay. I hate to gloat about Christmas gifts (not), but I got a Nutella shirt, mug, travel mug and two specially shaped jar scrapers in one magnificent package. And best thing of all? They were sort of free. Save the gold lid thingys! Nutella gives you miraculous free merch if you do!

The only thing I really want right now is a Nutella sponsorship. I don’t know what they would sponsor me to do as I have no skillz, but I WANT A SPONSORSHIP.

• MaryFairy January 22nd, 2012 10:12 AM

Is that the gold foil you have to tear off?

That is the most wonderful Christmas gift. Ever.

• youngfridays January 5th, 2012 5:16 AM

welp Tavi you’re an inspiration

youngfridays.tumblr.com

• lizzetta January 6th, 2012 12:10 AM

I love this editor’s letter! But did you know it doesn’t show up on the top banner link to Editor’s Letter?
    No need to publish this comment- I just want people to see the most up to date, funny Editor’s letter.

• frenchalot January 6th, 2012 3:13 AM

Hey, Tavi? I have an “Up All Night,” story I’d love to share. Is it still possible to send it in?

• Madness January 6th, 2012 4:36 PM

David Bowie %%%%

• caro nation January 8th, 2012 6:54 PM

There appears to be an INTERVIEW WITH DAVID SEDARIS THIS MONTH JRGOINSREOJHGNRSTOIJNIOHJREIPHJROTIBJIFJNTROIHJORTUHJBOIRTJHOETJHIORT.

This truly is the month of Davids.

What about David Gilmour?
    David Letterman?
    DAVID LYNCH?(I guess secrets was more the month for that)
    David…… Hasselhoff?
    DAVID BYRNE!!! He totally fits in this month.

or DAVID CROSS. WE SHOULD HAVE A WHOLE MONTH DEVOTED TO MR. SHOW AND ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT.

Insert AD quote.

• Cosmo Beatrix January 9th, 2012 4:17 PM

best playlist EVER.

Turn it on every single morning as soon as i wake up.

• emily newton-john January 10th, 2012 3:01 AM

Thank you for rookie mag. I started reading a few weeks ago and it is wonderful. I love everything. It is alpha-site in my heart.

• illonablyton January 15th, 2012 10:57 AM

Love this! ♥

• Margo January 18th, 2012 4:38 AM

I wish I could have a tape of Tavi and Mia Farrow talking to keep me up all night working, the sound of their voices relaxes me but doesn’t makes me sleepy, it’s really weird. I have listened to Rosemary’s Baby so many times I can’t count them.

• Nishat January 18th, 2012 3:41 PM

OH MY GOD MY PHOTOGRAPH IS THE BACKGROUND TODAY. I thought I recognized it. I am now FREAKING out. (In bed, alone, awkwardly.)

This has made my night (possibly my week, life, etc…) You guys are great!

:’)

I’ll put this here but you can delete it or whatever: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleanteeth/5336346535/in/photostream

I’m sorry I’m freaking out like this. How terrible. I’m lame. I love you.

• MaryFairy January 22nd, 2012 10:07 AM

Mashed bananas on toast with Nutella is my Sunday breakfast.
    (I also use butter, but people tend to wrinkle their noses at that. I don’t know why you would do it any other way. If you’re going unhealthy you might as well go the whole hog.)

But I do like the cereal idea, which is much
    like toast except YOU DON’T HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT TO TOAST!!

And that is why I love the internet.

• richard100 January 23rd, 2012 2:39 PM

great theme, great poem, and great file names. did I say great? great!!