Music

Friday Playlist: Basement Tapes

Home recordings.

All these songs were recorded in a home studio, a garage, a hospital room, a basement, a bedroom, a bathroom—not in professional studios.

Illustration by Minna

• cj575 December 16th, 2011 11:20 PM

is it just me or do the songs on 8tracks not match the illustration? Great playlist though!

• Anaheed December 16th, 2011 11:45 PM

Sorry, guys — we’re having a technical glitch w/ 8tracks. The right playlist will be up in a minute.

• December 17th, 2011 12:25 AM

Great mix! Kate, P.J & Bob <3 'Maybe I'm Amazed' by Paul McCartney is another good one – recorded on a farm, I believe.

• FashionHauties December 17th, 2011 12:35 AM

These are so great and old-timey! These bring back memories.. kind of country, but in a good way.

• Jamie December 17th, 2011 12:45 AM

i can’t wait until this gets up and running because it sounds AWESOME

• Anaheed December 17th, 2011 12:59 AM

OK it should be working now!

• diny December 17th, 2011 9:19 AM

and here is what i make today all day long. http://issuu.com/spark_zine/docs/spark_issue__1

it is perfect (for me) because i make it with love and passion and everything skill that i have (i still can’t believe that i can use corel!).

by the way, i like this mix tapes!

• ShockHorror December 17th, 2011 11:47 AM

Great playlist!

I might suggest a bit of tUnE-yArDs there too? Whole of of her/their first album was recorded liek that (:

• Kara December 17th, 2011 12:06 PM

This is a great playlist! What caught my attention was the photo of the woman playing the guitar and the man and his accordion. I’m from Lafayette, Louisiana and for the curious, these people are Joe and Cleoma Falcon. They are celebrated in my culture for recording the first Cajun song entitled “Allons a Lafayette.” Anyway, I basically FREAKED when I saw their photo…. Cleoma was basically the first female Cajun musician. She was the first female pioneer of the music that is so integral to the culture of the Cajuns. She was a classy lady…. check out this video about her…

Cajun music is alive and kickin where I’m from…young people have been adding personal influences to the traditional music…. 60s garage rock, punk, big band swing….proto punk…it’s all there.. anyway, it’s a cool lil scene and SHE is to thank for it!!!

• Fortune_Goddess December 17th, 2011 2:57 PM

Ohmigoodness! This is amazing. PaulMcCartneyPaulMcCartneyPaulMcCartneyPaulMcCartneyPaulMcCartney!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Toilets December 17th, 2011 4:11 PM

Bruce <3

The National's cover of Mansion is wonderful too, albeit not home recorded.

• December 17th, 2011 7:57 PM

Fortune_Goddess… I’m glad you like it! :-)

• Izzy December 18th, 2011 8:32 AM

hounds of looooooooove!

• Woolsocks December 19th, 2011 5:09 PM

I have literally registered just to say thank you, Kara, because I was actually really curious! Going to try and find some more of them now :]

• fruitfromheaven December 21st, 2011 3:35 PM