Dear Diary

December 28, 2011

All manner of year-end anxieties, and anxiety-enders. Plus: Ruby dyes her hair!

Ruby

I wanted to color my hair this week, but I’m broke, and I don’t know how to do it myself. I asked Claudia, the owner of the salon I go to, how much it would cost to dye it. She said I could babysit in exchange for getting my hair done. Here’s a tip: barter! It will usually pay off somehow, especially if you know the person you’re bartering with.

I actually had fun babysitting Saigon, Claudia’s adorable daughter. We had a bunch of fun:
1. She didn’t want to go to the potty, so I showed her the music video for Eddie Murphy’s “Party All the Time,” telling her that he was singing “potty” instead of “party.” She enjoyed it very much. (It didn’t work.)
2. She was one of the few children I met who actually did what Dora the Explorer told her to on TV: when Dora needed help jumping up and down or finding Swiper the Fox in a bush, Saigon would always jump or point to the corner of the screen where a tail could be seen behind a branch. Cutest. Thing. Ever.
3. She refused to eat lunch, but instead ate the frosting off of two doughnuts with a tiny “princess fork” for fruit salad and cheese and stuff.
It was probably the best deal I will ever make—in exchange for the fun I had with Saigon, I got to get my hair done!

I didn’t really know what color I wanted until I sat down in the twirly hairdressing chair. Then I impulsively told Claudia I wanted purple tips, but almost all the way up to my roots. So yeah, not really tips—more like everything except the very top and my bangs. And that’s what I got: the most beautiful shade of violet you’ll ever see in your life, still shiny and healthy because I didn’t use bleach.

But now I’m kind of regretting it. I mean, the color is great, but I think I need to dye the rest of my hair purple now, because deep violet and blonde don’t look great together on me. But: I’m scared to do my whole head. What if it doesn’t go back to its natural color EVER? Also, I don’t know why I chose purple, because I don’t know if it will match anything I wear. My head suddenly feels so out of place with the rest of me. I couldn’t bear to chop it off, though, and the color is too gorgeous to re-dye. To add to my remorse, my father wasn’t very happy about the results—he thought I dyed too much of my hair.

OK but: now that I’ve written all of my feelings about this new hair color down, I can feel them changing. I’m feeling the regrets slip away. After all, I had fun babysitting Saigon, I got my hair dyed for free, it’s a great color, and I never liked being blonde anyway. Anyway, hair dyeing is all about trial and error until you find something perfect. So, in conclusion, yay! I have purple hair.

Whaddya think?

1 2 3 4 5

• marimba_girl December 28th, 2011 7:16 PM

Katherine I’ll talk dubstep with you (and by this I mean moore than Skrillex)!!!

• cherrycola27 December 28th, 2011 8:23 PM

I never make New Year’s Resolutions, either. I think you can resolve to do something anytime of year, why does it have to be specifically on New Years? It seems everyone is destined to be disappointed in themselves this way.

• Marguerite December 28th, 2011 8:34 PM

OLD PEOPLE ARE SO EXCEPTING! like i was talking of getting my hair died with my grandma, and we had like all these hairstyles picked out and colours, and then mother dearest is like uuuummmmmmmm…. well i dont think so…..

and want to go to church this year, not like on sunday morning with the rest of the people, just show up and pray on my own

“Track down that Hogwarts letter that those gershdern owls lost when I was 11″ <– doing that too!

Ruby- i really like your hair , its totally cool :)

• Marguerite December 28th, 2011 8:35 PM

did i spell excepting right? – i don’t think i did…

• emilyelizabeth December 28th, 2011 8:40 PM

ruby, i also barter babysitting for getting my hair dyed! i think the purple is beautiful!

• annagracie December 28th, 2011 8:44 PM

Looks good, Ruby!

• cellardoor December 28th, 2011 8:45 PM

Ruby, your hair looks great! Even if you were to dye it all purple, once your hair starts to grow, the roots will still be your natural hair color. I mean, you can’t change that just by dying it. It’ll always grow back in the color that it naturally is.

• sissi December 28th, 2011 8:55 PM

ruby, what type of dye did you use. my hair is a similar shade to your natural hair and i really like how the purple came out. please get back to me.

• theo December 28th, 2011 9:04 PM

dylaaaan,
    you are awesome and this is such a beautiful and relatable entry. Love that jacket!

-theo

• MissKnowItAll December 28th, 2011 9:50 PM

Ruby
    Your hair looks wonderful.
    I wish I could dye my tips purple but I have black hair so all I would get is a pinkish tint:(

• rhymeswithorange December 29th, 2011 12:16 AM

Your hair looks awesome, Ruby!

• Dakota December 29th, 2011 3:39 AM

Oh the purple is beautiful Ruby!!!! I think it would look really good if you dyed it all purple!

• dlaebe December 29th, 2011 8:24 AM

naomi, this is a beautiful entry. “so much care stored up for people” that’s exactly right. exactly how it should be.

• christinachristina December 29th, 2011 12:18 PM

Ruby; I think the purple looks wonderful. It would obviously look awesome to do your whole head purple, but I think this look is nice and pretty and different and unconventional.

• WitchesRave December 29th, 2011 1:11 PM

Ruby: GAHH! my envious feelings for blondes will never go away! You guys can dye your hair any colour you want and it will come out perfecetly! If i had your hair i would probably dye the whole thing a dusty lilac colour..hint hint.. (:

• noumi December 29th, 2011 3:43 PM

Oh Dylan i’m in the same state of mind right now after being away from home to study at college and even away from my home country for 4 months living on my own.. I’m heading back soon so this kind of bad feeling will go and then be back for summer..! We just have to not be so negativ and just accept that we’ve changed for the better.. :)

• Tyknos93 December 29th, 2011 8:20 PM

Ruby I love your hair! I’m black and I have natural hair (BIG afro) and I’m afraid of what it will do If I dye it. I’m thinking green, pale pink or violet. I did a post on it today.

• Hedwig December 30th, 2011 11:05 AM

Ruby! You should be semi-like Violet Baudelaire and tie your hair back in a black ribbon.

• isadora January 1st, 2012 8:20 PM

Your hair looks awesome, Ruby!
    I’m going mid-turqouise soon.

• I.ila January 3rd, 2012 1:32 PM

my friend who is next to me loves dubstep… but she doesn’t read rookie :-(

• Kathryn January 16th, 2012 12:07 PM

Ruby, your hair looks really cool! I have dark brown curly hair, and I wanted to dye it pastel blue or purple or something for a really long time, but now I think i’m just gonna cut it really short in 1920s sort of thing? I’m too scared I’m gonna ruin it! I’m very jealous that blondes can just go for it with no bleach!

Katherine, we share many of our resolutions. Also, I think about the beauty of young DiCaprio all of the time.