Dear Diary

December 28, 2011

All manner of year-end anxieties, and anxiety-enders. Plus: Ruby dyes her hair!

Katherine

I don’t think I’ve ever made a New Year’s resolution. Probably because I am a lazy poop and my life theory is that NOTHING is ever resolved. Also, to-do lists are far superior to resolutions. They are concise and understood to be impossible. BUT since I have this thing where I try things I’m really bad at (guitar) and do things that I usually hate (acting enthusiastic around people’s dogs, wearing tank tops, smiling), I will attempt a list of resolutions. Here goes:

• Shower more. Smell better.
  • Talk about poop less around people I don’t know.
  • Develop an appreciation for dogs.
  • Invent a time machine and go back in time in order to go talk to younger versions of my parents and meet (make out with) young Leonardo DiCaprio.
  • Eat a vegetable (one more than I ate in 2011).
  • Do homework (ha).
  • Practice punctuality.
  • Develop a stance on politics.
  • Read more.
  • Track down that Hogwarts letter that those gershdern owls lost when I was 11.
  • Actually write a legitimate poem or short story.
  • Reach out to those who like dubstep. (This one will be tough.)
  • Be social on weekends. Go to pArTiEs and tOtEs cHiLl wit mah peeps.

After this Sunday, I will forget about these things and never do them. This list will be a reminder of my continual failure. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• marimba_girl December 28th, 2011 7:16 PM

Katherine I’ll talk dubstep with you (and by this I mean moore than Skrillex)!!!

• cherrycola27 December 28th, 2011 8:23 PM

I never make New Year’s Resolutions, either. I think you can resolve to do something anytime of year, why does it have to be specifically on New Years? It seems everyone is destined to be disappointed in themselves this way.

• Marguerite December 28th, 2011 8:34 PM

OLD PEOPLE ARE SO EXCEPTING! like i was talking of getting my hair died with my grandma, and we had like all these hairstyles picked out and colours, and then mother dearest is like uuuummmmmmmm…. well i dont think so…..

and want to go to church this year, not like on sunday morning with the rest of the people, just show up and pray on my own

“Track down that Hogwarts letter that those gershdern owls lost when I was 11″ <– doing that too!

Ruby- i really like your hair , its totally cool :)

• Marguerite December 28th, 2011 8:35 PM

did i spell excepting right? – i don’t think i did…

• emilyelizabeth December 28th, 2011 8:40 PM

ruby, i also barter babysitting for getting my hair dyed! i think the purple is beautiful!

• annagracie December 28th, 2011 8:44 PM

Looks good, Ruby!

• cellardoor December 28th, 2011 8:45 PM

Ruby, your hair looks great! Even if you were to dye it all purple, once your hair starts to grow, the roots will still be your natural hair color. I mean, you can’t change that just by dying it. It’ll always grow back in the color that it naturally is.

• sissi December 28th, 2011 8:55 PM

ruby, what type of dye did you use. my hair is a similar shade to your natural hair and i really like how the purple came out. please get back to me.

• theo December 28th, 2011 9:04 PM

dylaaaan,
    you are awesome and this is such a beautiful and relatable entry. Love that jacket!

-theo

• MissKnowItAll December 28th, 2011 9:50 PM

Ruby
    Your hair looks wonderful.
    I wish I could dye my tips purple but I have black hair so all I would get is a pinkish tint:(

• rhymeswithorange December 29th, 2011 12:16 AM

Your hair looks awesome, Ruby!

• Dakota December 29th, 2011 3:39 AM

Oh the purple is beautiful Ruby!!!! I think it would look really good if you dyed it all purple!

• dlaebe December 29th, 2011 8:24 AM

naomi, this is a beautiful entry. “so much care stored up for people” that’s exactly right. exactly how it should be.

• christinachristina December 29th, 2011 12:18 PM

Ruby; I think the purple looks wonderful. It would obviously look awesome to do your whole head purple, but I think this look is nice and pretty and different and unconventional.

• WitchesRave December 29th, 2011 1:11 PM

Ruby: GAHH! my envious feelings for blondes will never go away! You guys can dye your hair any colour you want and it will come out perfecetly! If i had your hair i would probably dye the whole thing a dusty lilac colour..hint hint.. (:

• noumi December 29th, 2011 3:43 PM

Oh Dylan i’m in the same state of mind right now after being away from home to study at college and even away from my home country for 4 months living on my own.. I’m heading back soon so this kind of bad feeling will go and then be back for summer..! We just have to not be so negativ and just accept that we’ve changed for the better.. :)

• Tyknos93 December 29th, 2011 8:20 PM

Ruby I love your hair! I’m black and I have natural hair (BIG afro) and I’m afraid of what it will do If I dye it. I’m thinking green, pale pink or violet. I did a post on it today.

• Hedwig December 30th, 2011 11:05 AM

Ruby! You should be semi-like Violet Baudelaire and tie your hair back in a black ribbon.

• isadora January 1st, 2012 8:20 PM

Your hair looks awesome, Ruby!
    I’m going mid-turqouise soon.

• I.ila January 3rd, 2012 1:32 PM

my friend who is next to me loves dubstep… but she doesn’t read rookie :-(

• Kathryn January 16th, 2012 12:07 PM

Ruby, your hair looks really cool! I have dark brown curly hair, and I wanted to dye it pastel blue or purple or something for a really long time, but now I think i’m just gonna cut it really short in 1920s sort of thing? I’m too scared I’m gonna ruin it! I’m very jealous that blondes can just go for it with no bleach!

Katherine, we share many of our resolutions. Also, I think about the beauty of young DiCaprio all of the time.