Dear Diary

December 21, 2011

Ruby makes a discovery, Dylan kicks some ass, Katherine goes for a walk!, Naomi LOVES CHRISTMAS, and Minna has what looks like a spectacular week.

Katherine

Guess what?!?! I went on a walk today!!!!! So exciting, riggght? Actually, for me this was pretty impressive, seeing as I avoid anything that even remotely resembles athletic activity. That rules out all “sports” except board games, dance, golf, and long strolls.

Anyway, walking was supposed to be a cure for boredom. I sort of kind of expected something exciting or interesting to happen on my walk. Like this one time, my dad was riding his bike around our neighborhood and he was hit by a car. Which was really bad. But he was fine. But still, stuff happens on walks! Maybe. Here are some fascinating observations I made on my walk:

• Our neighborhood smells like dog poop and pine-tree-scented car inserts.
  • One should never bark back at an angry dog. Especially if the dog is faster than you. Double especially if the owner is present and has no sense of humor.
  • There may or may not be a club of women who run with baby strollers. I didn’t know you could do that!

Anyway, this episode of Katherine Keeps a Diary is brought to you by the letter B (for boredom). Also, it’s brought to you by the fact that ALL OF HER FRIENDS ABANDONED HER TO GO ON FAMILY TRIPS. If I lived in TV world, I would be one of those dogs in those commercials where they ask you for money. My commercial would say something like, “Katherine has been alone for almost a week now. She’s lonely and starving (for attention). However, she is not yet beyond help. Please help by sending money. She needs lots for the holiday season. Just look into her big, sad, pitiful eyes.”

Anyway. I’m off to paint my nails black, listen to NPR, and hang Christmas lights in my room. You’re jealous. Don’t fight it. Or do. And invite me to your parties, while you’re at it. Please? (I’m saying that in a desirable, not-desperate way.)

1 2 3 4 5

• Juniper December 21st, 2011 7:37 PM

Dylan. You are my hero! I really admire people that stand up for other people like that.
    I actually gasped outloud when you said you’d clocked him!

• Marguerite December 21st, 2011 7:57 PM

-Dylan! Ah I’m so proud of you! I could never do that!
    -I am so bored! Half of my friends are away and I always feel like i shouldn’t do things with my friends of Christmas, I think they would rather be with their families and stuff… so I’ve been spending my time watching the free Christmas special movie channels…
    -I think my favourite song is Hark the Herald Angels Sing, cuz its so powerful and i always think of Eloise at the Plaza when I hear it, and that part of the movie makes me cry

- oh and this spell check really bothers me cuz they always say i spell favourite and colour wrong! SO WHAT IF IM BRITISH!

• Naomi December 22nd, 2011 2:58 PM

favourite and colour FOREVER! we had the english language first!!

• fizzingwhizbees December 21st, 2011 8:11 PM

Ruby, YOU GET ME. I have always been that kid in the English class who the students don’t talk to but the teacher thinks is the coolest person ever. I suspect it’s because I’m the type of odd girl most nerdy male teachers would have liked to date in high school, and I understand their jokes. Or maybe it’s just because I’m a good student. Either way, I feel your pain.

• Narnie December 22nd, 2011 1:08 AM

Totally agree. Damn, if I’d known about places like Simon’s Rock here in Australia (although I don’t know if we have any) I’d have been sold.
      The other shit thing about being a person who’s interested in learning and is really self-directed, is that school subjects are so boring!!!! I just want to get to uni so bad.

• mistycakes December 21st, 2011 9:27 PM

i went to boarding school in the town next to simons rock… it is a great place. interesting people and, more importantly in my opinion, a pretty interesting community in the surrounds (great barrington, hudson, etc) good music and strange people… how can you go wrong? if anything, you will have fantastic stories. good luck!

• Brit December 21st, 2011 10:04 PM

Katherine, that first paragraph pretty much sums up my life. And so does the rest of the diary entry. Please get out of my head.

• cherrycola27 December 21st, 2011 11:24 PM

Ruby, I totally feel the same way! Always have. Teachers and parents have always loved me while kids mostly keep their distance. I’m an “adult” now, but it’s still pretty much the same. I don’t really mind too much, though. I don’t really care for people my age, either! I’ve just never identified with them, for the most part. I have very few friends, it’s hard to find people who are, I don’t know, similar to me? I just care about different things, so it’s hard.

• missblack December 22nd, 2011 1:07 AM

Haha, Ruby, I love this.

Mostly because I think this Graham person is awesome, because a teacher who plays the uke and listens to NMH must be….awesome.

Also Simon’s Rock is supposed to be for like GENIUSES ( I know this because I totally wanted to go there back when I still cared about school, before I hit eleventh-twelfth grade and now I’m all like, OMG I just want to drop out and get my GED) so, good luck.

Little&Trivial

• fayasi December 22nd, 2011 5:07 AM

Ruby : If I said I couldn’t thoroughly contemplate where you were “coming from” it would be a blatant lie. I am a 13 year old Canadian girl living in Greece, where the educational system appears to show no interest towards gifted students and accelerated classes are a homeschoolesque rarity. As a direct result, maths is easy, physics is even easier, essays are generic and the people you’re surrounded with and expected to feel zeal and zest for are but doppelgangers of leading characters in cheap, prepubescent-targeted American productions. I have my “friends” but they treat me more like an acquaintance – especially after coming to revelations about my lack of inclination to talking about boys. I am moving to Canada in the Summer and hopefully I’ll try for UTS (University of Toronto Schools) – even though its application process and deadlines means I won’t be able to attend directly after moving there, but only a year after.

• Arwen December 22nd, 2011 9:53 AM

Oh Ruby, I’m sorry! I know how you feel!
    I’m in 8th grade and I’m homeschooled………what does that tell you? Don’t worry, things will get better, the best adult people were always the shunned kids at school. Have you considered homeschooling?

P.S. I love, love, love Radiohead!!

Please watch this:

• Ellie January 11th, 2012 4:25 PM

Hurrah, homeschooling! *is also homeschooled* *and in eighth grade*

• WitchesRave December 22nd, 2011 11:46 AM

Ruby: Loved your post, your teacher reminds me of Bill, the teacher of the main character in the book The Perks of being a Wallfower..You should read it, it’s amazing and i guarantee anyone who reads it relates to it…

• Marguerite December 22nd, 2011 12:28 PM

Wow @mistycakes near great Harrington and Hudson! Where exactly were you? Cuz like Ive spent like all my 13 summers in that area! (hehe I’ve never had a small world feeling…)

• Maddy December 22nd, 2011 2:30 PM

Dylan-I wish you had punched him! Such a jerk. My mom is a college art professor (GD) so I know about critiques, reviews, etc

RUBY!!! I find school easy, too. Not easy, per se, but I wish that classes were harder and not more work or less instruction, as seems to be the case with honors and AP classes. Just more stimulating and challenging. I also recently found out about Simon’s Rock!!! It sounds perfect for me, as well. I’m currently in 10th grade though, and I feel like I’m stuck in my school. I always begged (correction: beg) my mom to let me go to a private school, but money is an issue. I live in the same state as Simon’s Rock, so maybe I could visit once, but I doubt I’ll ever be able to do it.

When I first heard about it, maybe 2-3 weeks ago, I casually brought it up in front of my mom. She didn’t jump on it. I’m also in love with languages and science and math. Really into math and science—wish I could do the math team, and I took organic chemistry for fun over the summer (just an intro :D ).

Anyways, Ruby, good luck with everything. I always want to talk with people as into, I guess academia as I am. I hope you get challenged and maybe I’ll meet you at Simon’s Rock. :)

• Lonesomecowboy December 22nd, 2011 4:19 PM

Ruby, I had a friend in high school go to Simon’s Rock and really really love it–I say you should do it. A school with 400 people may sound kind of overwhelmingly small, but I go to Bennington College in Vermont which has only 700 students and I really love it. Its a pretty self-selecting bunch of people who choose to go to a small, rigorous, liberal arts school in the middle of nowhere (even more so a small, rigorous, liberal art school for pre-college age students). My guess is that most everyone there will be very passionate about what they do and will have a pretty good sense of self. Good Luck!!

• timsukulele December 22nd, 2011 4:49 PM

Yo, Ruby! As a high school senior who had (and still has) that same experience of getting on better with older people than with my peers, I can say Bard’s program might be great for you. I’m off to Bard in the fall, and their philosophies are pretty much everything you’re about– be excited about learning, don’t be an asshole, you’re not just a number, etc. Another thing to look at would be Bard’s Early College in manhattan and queens, if you’re worried about being isolated from society. It’s still public, but Bard has a great program and philosophy and you should totally check it out!

• blue December 22nd, 2011 5:16 PM

naomi, baggies all the way, seriously!!

• Hedwig December 22nd, 2011 11:21 PM

daysdaysdays

• Minna December 23rd, 2011 4:24 AM

That’s meant to be me on holidays. I’m really livin it up.

• Anaheed December 23rd, 2011 4:29 AM

I am thrilled to hear this.

• Dylan December 23rd, 2011 4:40 AM

Just layin in bed naked, Olympia style. That’s how I spend the holidays too.

• julalondon December 23rd, 2011 4:28 AM

Dylan, normally i wait ’til i read all of the diarys but today i really have to comment NOW after i read yours, you are great!!

• VictoryBelle December 23rd, 2011 8:16 PM

Dylan, Kickass! Well Done! A lecturer of mine did something similar once but he scared me too much to call him out, I’m very proud of you and give your matey lots of hugs

• garrison December 24th, 2011 11:15 AM

Ruby, I don’t know you, but just by reading your posts I think you would love Simon’s Rock! My friend Sarah, who I met at an academic camp, is graduating from Simon’s Rock this year and she loves it. There are cute boys there and you get to write essays about Fight Club! I could give her your email if you want her to talk to you about it.

• Mickey December 26th, 2011 11:42 PM

Oh my God, Ruby. Thank you for posting that link to Simon’s Rock. I am totally applying to the young writer’s workshop!! You are awesome! ALSO I GOT WHITE DOCS FOR CHRISTMAS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Narita December 30th, 2011 1:16 PM

Ruby I don’t get why people don’t like you, I mean, you’re awesome as far I know you. But I know the problem you’re dealing with. People never liked me either and the fact that I switched schools more often than most people in my area visit a dentist always made me the ‘new kid’, and after I lost that title it became the ‘weird kid’. In the Netherlands you’ve got Primary School and Middle School, that’s it, there’s not really something like High School, but Middle School lasts for 4/5/6 years. I started at the education for ‘smart kids’, which lasts 6 years, and decided in less that 3 months that I couldn’t deal with all the bullying for 5 more years and dropped down to the 4-yr education. It’s way too easy for me and people hate me here only more, so now I’m in a special school for high-risk dropouts, you stay here for like half a year and if you want to, you can do your school on high speed. Normally, if you’re from the 4-year-education and you want to do the 5-year too, you’ll do both in 6 year. Right now, it seems like I’ll do the 5-year in 4 year. I’m the only ninth grader here (all the other ones are younger) and I feel all smart and old and like I don’t belong here. I hope Simon’s Rock is an option for you and that you’ll enjoy it there!

• MissKnowItAll January 5th, 2012 8:52 PM

Ruby
    If you ever move to New York, apply to QHSSYC.
    Best High School Ever!!!!

• Ellie January 11th, 2012 4:26 PM

Ruby, I’m the same way. Most kids my age don’t accept me very openly, and I wouldn’t really consider them “friends” of mine, but adults or college kids get along with me way, way better.
    Oh, and FLAMING LIPS. YOUR TEACHER. IS MY FAVORITE.