Dear Diary

November 23, 2011

Shoplifting, the joys and sorrows of suburbia, and Katherine is soooooo tirrrrrred.

Katherine

“Sometimes people just explode.” Those were the words that came out of my mouth one calculus class. I had meant to say it two seconds earlier, in the context of an actual conversation with a classmate, but I had somehow drifted off…and it instead escaped in a moment when the class was completely silent. Like a herd of prairie dogs, the whole class turned to look at me, eyebrows raised, eyes squinted in complete confusion. As my teacher asked what was wrong with me, I stumbled to explain the conversation I had just had. This apparently made me look 10 times more craycray. In the end, the teacher just assumed that I had been asleep and just blurted something of no relevance to the class discussion for no reason at all. Which is basically what had happened.

Exhaustion always strikes at school. I’ve been known to chug a full-size energy drink only to fall asleep on top of my history books 10 minutes later. I’ve fallen asleep in classrooms, at stoplights, and generally anywhere in my house. Tired is tired and when I’m tired, I’m tired. T-ired, ti-red, TIIIIREEEDDDDD.

Like that one time in eighth grade when I was invited to a huge sleepover at this “popular” girl’s house on a school night and my mom let me go. OMG, SLEEPOVER WITH THE IN-CROWD ON A SCHEWL NITE. Somewhere between pizza and nail polish and Admittance of Crush ceremonies, I became the first one to fall asleep. I woke up to two girls standing over me and giggling as one tried to put my hand in a glass of water. The other was holding a Sharpie and looking as evil as they get, but as far as I could tell, she hadn’t used it yet. Two lessons learned: one, don’t trust a girl who’s mean to you until she “is soo jealous of your hair” and would love for you to come to her sleepover, and two, don’t EVER be the first one asleep in any group. Because your enemies will be hesitant to write on your face and try to make you pee yourself, but your friends will not hold back AT ALL.

Which brings me to now, because I’m so friggin exhausted that all I want to do is cuddle with a cat and sleep for days on end. Last night, a friend and I stayed up just about all night researching a court case and writing an oral argument for Model UN. We were delirious. My friend kept on referring to Singapore as “Sangria,” something I could have mocked her for had I been conscious enough. Then this afternoon, as I began to type my diary entry for this week, I fell asleep hugging my computer. It would have been really tender if not for the fact that I was snuggling with a machine.

I have this theory that one day adults realized us young-uns had the potential to take over the world, or at least become really successful and stuff, and because they were afraid of the levels of achievement our youthful energy would help us attain, they decided to create such things as homework in order to keep us exhausted. So exhausted that we fall asleep writing diary posts about being sleepy or, more importantly, justtrhnfbhfgtrjtrgn///////////////gnak;l’;’;;;;;;;;

1 2 3 4

• OrangeSunrise November 23rd, 2011 7:15 PM

I am reading this at midnight, because of time-zone differences, but I know I won’t sleep until four, if I’m lucky. I, like Katherine, have just been sooooooooo tired…but I just can’t sleep!

• Chimdi November 23rd, 2011 7:22 PM

That kind of happens to me too! Some days I’ll sleep for ten to twelve hours, and then the next I won’t sleep at all. Sometimes I’m awake and I’m REALLY tired, but I just can’t will myself to rest.

• Minna November 23rd, 2011 7:53 PM

Well………….. this week I had my Graduation art exhibition and I felt a lot like that girl standing in front of my work with my hands on my hips like hey y’all look what I’ve done!

• Anaheed November 23rd, 2011 8:18 PM

Oh, well then WOOOOOOO GO YOU!!!

• cherrycola27 November 23rd, 2011 11:31 PM

“that when you’re young you’re waiting for your life to start, and now that he was 65, he still felt like he was waiting.”

I feel like this is maybe depressing and probably like I’m just missing the bigger picture. I know that feeling so well- I’m 20 and I feel like I’m still waiting for everything to happen.
    I really liked this diary entry.

• Bren November 24th, 2011 12:20 AM

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint – it’s more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly… time-y wimey… stuff. – Doctor Who

I don’t know why Naomi’s entry reminded me of that line.

• kirsty November 24th, 2011 7:13 AM

when i was in high school my sisters and i got into a cycle of shoplifting. when it got brought up in a conversation recently with my fiance he didn’t believe me; he said it seemed so unlike me. I guess it was, but Dylan’s right – you start to rationalise it as normal because you “need” whatever it is you’re taking. Looking back on it, I can’t believe how much I ended up stealing over time. Not to justify it, but I went to school with a lot of rich kids who seemed to take for granted the allowance they got from their parents. I thought, if they can have all these things without paying for them themselves, why can’t I? It’s been a long time since I last took something, but I think the guilt will stay with me a while longer.

• Nomi November 24th, 2011 10:35 AM

Naomi: you should listen to the song “100 years” by five for fighting.

• jeanette November 24th, 2011 3:50 PM

NAOMI! I love you! I feel the exact same way about my area, down here, in East London. I often dream of New York actually, and want to live there but at the same time I love this area yet I hate it and.. ahh I don’t know. But those pre-teens bug me even when I do think I love it.

• IAmHeliumRaven November 24th, 2011 4:20 PM

Naomi, its nice to know someone out there feels the same way as you. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy now instead of constantly worrying about the future. But i’ll still dream of New York.

• Whatsername November 24th, 2011 8:24 PM

Dylan’s posts always interest me, Naomi’s posts always relate to me and Katherine’s posts always crack me up.

Love this place, seriously.

• Maialuna November 24th, 2011 9:17 PM

Katherine, I know how you feel. COMPLETELY. I’m exactly the same lately. I mean, I would punish myself severely if I actually fell asleep in class, but I can’t think straight and my words get tangled up and when my friends talk to me, I have to think about quite a few times before I have any idea what they want. Ugh. And then I stay up until 2 AM doing homework.