Dear Diary

November 23, 2011

Shoplifting, the joys and sorrows of suburbia, and Katherine is soooooo tirrrrrred.

We always try to figure out what happened to Minna this week based on her visual diary. This week is a stumper! If you've got any guesses do let us know.

Dylan

I was always turned off by the idea of shoplifting. But lately, everything has seemed so easy. I just didn’t have the cash to replenish my Chapstick and lotion the other day, so I slipped them into my bag. Walking off with a salad-bar box from the bougie grocery store was too easy when I needed lunch. What’s alarming to me is that at some point it stopped feeling wrong and started feeling normal. Read More »

Naomi

I have this strange mixture of absolute hatred and sappy affection for my town. It’s strange that you can have such a relationship with what is simply a place. But this patch of ground has my heart and my distaste. I want to escape it, but I acknowledge that I might never live in a nicer place. Read More »

Katherine

Exhaustion always strikes at school. I’ve been known to chug a full-size energy drink only to fall asleep on top of my history books 10 minutes later. I’ve fallen asleep in classrooms, at stoplights, and generally anywhere in my house. Tired is tired and when I’m tired, I’m tired. T-ired, ti-red, TIIIIREEEDDDDD. Read More »

1 2 3 4

• OrangeSunrise November 23rd, 2011 7:15 PM

I am reading this at midnight, because of time-zone differences, but I know I won’t sleep until four, if I’m lucky. I, like Katherine, have just been sooooooooo tired…but I just can’t sleep!

• Chimdi November 23rd, 2011 7:22 PM

That kind of happens to me too! Some days I’ll sleep for ten to twelve hours, and then the next I won’t sleep at all. Sometimes I’m awake and I’m REALLY tired, but I just can’t will myself to rest.

• Minna November 23rd, 2011 7:53 PM

Well………….. this week I had my Graduation art exhibition and I felt a lot like that girl standing in front of my work with my hands on my hips like hey y’all look what I’ve done!

• Anaheed November 23rd, 2011 8:18 PM

Oh, well then WOOOOOOO GO YOU!!!

• cherrycola27 November 23rd, 2011 11:31 PM

“that when you’re young you’re waiting for your life to start, and now that he was 65, he still felt like he was waiting.”

I feel like this is maybe depressing and probably like I’m just missing the bigger picture. I know that feeling so well- I’m 20 and I feel like I’m still waiting for everything to happen.
    I really liked this diary entry.

• Bren November 24th, 2011 12:20 AM

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint – it’s more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly… time-y wimey… stuff. – Doctor Who

I don’t know why Naomi’s entry reminded me of that line.

• kirsty November 24th, 2011 7:13 AM

when i was in high school my sisters and i got into a cycle of shoplifting. when it got brought up in a conversation recently with my fiance he didn’t believe me; he said it seemed so unlike me. I guess it was, but Dylan’s right – you start to rationalise it as normal because you “need” whatever it is you’re taking. Looking back on it, I can’t believe how much I ended up stealing over time. Not to justify it, but I went to school with a lot of rich kids who seemed to take for granted the allowance they got from their parents. I thought, if they can have all these things without paying for them themselves, why can’t I? It’s been a long time since I last took something, but I think the guilt will stay with me a while longer.

• Nomi November 24th, 2011 10:35 AM

Naomi: you should listen to the song “100 years” by five for fighting.

• jeanette November 24th, 2011 3:50 PM

NAOMI! I love you! I feel the exact same way about my area, down here, in East London. I often dream of New York actually, and want to live there but at the same time I love this area yet I hate it and.. ahh I don’t know. But those pre-teens bug me even when I do think I love it.

• IAmHeliumRaven November 24th, 2011 4:20 PM

Naomi, its nice to know someone out there feels the same way as you. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy now instead of constantly worrying about the future. But i’ll still dream of New York.

• Whatsername November 24th, 2011 8:24 PM

Dylan’s posts always interest me, Naomi’s posts always relate to me and Katherine’s posts always crack me up.

Love this place, seriously.

• Maialuna November 24th, 2011 9:17 PM

Katherine, I know how you feel. COMPLETELY. I’m exactly the same lately. I mean, I would punish myself severely if I actually fell asleep in class, but I can’t think straight and my words get tangled up and when my friends talk to me, I have to think about quite a few times before I have any idea what they want. Ugh. And then I stay up until 2 AM doing homework.