Movies + TV

Literally the Best Thing Ever: The Powerpuff Girls

I love these crime-fighting bed-wetters.

The Powerpuff Girls are Blossom, Buttercup, and Bubbles. Three superhero girls who fight crime by night, but also have to deal with normal kid problems like wetting the bed and losing teeth. Aw man, being an adorable superhero is sooo hard!

There were, literally, a thousand things that made the cartoon The Powerpuff Girls so great. I loved how it looked, with its super-flat animation and the references to ’70s action films in the opening credits. I loved the theme song, written by the Scottish band Bis, that was so fantastically twee! Even Christian Bale loves it, watch him SING IT at :40 in this video, aka the best thing you’ll ever watch in your life.

Also: the villains were insane! The girls battled a slew of creative characters from the crablike devil creature Him to Fuzzy Lumpkins, a fuzzy pink hillbilly monster that turns people into meat. And how could anyone forget Mojo Jojo, the girls’ arch nemesis?

The show is riddled with pop-culture references and humor. I love this scene, where the girls correct the historical accuracy of Mojo Jojo’s Napolean bedtime story. In the episode “Something’s A Ms,” the girls are questioned about a kidnapping in a scene that mimics The Big Lebowski, and in the episode “Meat the Beat-alls” the girls make non-stop references to music by the Beatles. In fact, there is an ENTIRE WEBSITE dedicated to cataloging the pop-culture references on The Powerpuff Girls, which include dozens more like Spinal Tap, My Neighbor Totoro, and Nanook of the North. Wow.

I’ve always been really attracted to girl groups who fight crime. It started with The Powerpuff Girls, then Totally Spies!, and then I went straight to Tarantino’s Deadly Viper Assassination Squad. It’s empowering to see strong women fighting against society, and I think The Powerpuff Girls instilled that in me at a young age. Think about all of the male superheros there are for boys to idolize. The Powerpuff Girls are also superheros! Cute superheros! With a kickass theme song! I’m really glad that I had this cartoon as a little girl, because it’s literally the best thing ever.

BUT, I have to ask…who was your favorite Powerpuff Girl? I used to act out The Powerpuff Girls with my cousins Emily and Pauline, who always played Buttercup and Bubbles, and I was Blossom. Buttercup was the tomboy tough girl, Blossom the brainy and logical one, and Bubbles was uber-girly and cute. I would say I am the most like Blossom, because I always manage to be the voice of reason in any group I’m hanging out with. Who are you? ♦

• Nomi November 9th, 2011 11:29 PM

I used to play this with my friends too! They always made me be Buttercup because I was the only brunette, so as a result she was always my favorite, even though I’m so not tough. I guess I’m most like Bubbles, Blossom can be too goody goody.

• fizzingwhizbees November 9th, 2011 11:39 PM

I used to identify with Buttercup so much. Actually I think I probably had a weird childhood cartoon-crush on her, because really I’m more of a Bubbles. And yes, I have thought about this.

• Pinkwitchcraft November 9th, 2011 11:44 PM

I am exactly like Blossom.

• Ballsack November 9th, 2011 11:46 PM

When I was younger, I saved up my allowance for three weeks and bought a Bubbles doll that I brought with me everywhere. And it turned out that my cousin (who I saw like, once) had a Blossom one. And we both happened to have our dolls when we met.

• darksideoftherainbow November 10th, 2011 12:03 AM

the powerpuff girls miraculously and coincidently corresponded with my and my sisters’ favorite colors. i was buttercup, my older sister was blossom, and my little sister bubbles. there was only one thing better than the powerpuff girls and that was HIM. i mean, come on…and man voice with a girlish echo? please. TRY and beat that. i wish i could.

• jambajuicekitten November 10th, 2011 12:13 AM

OMG! i loved power puff girls when i was growing up! and totally spies!

• Edy November 10th, 2011 12:17 AM

Love the power puff girls! They came after my sailor moon phase. I liked to think i was Blossom because she was bossy and had great hair… but no doubt about it I am a Buttercup dry humour and stubborn.

• Louise November 10th, 2011 12:25 AM

I loved Buttercup with all my soul in my preschool days. Actually I still do. Buttercup and every other thing Powerpuff.

• lyndsey November 10th, 2011 12:41 AM

ahhhh i was obsessed. i remember in third grade, i used to argue with the boys in my class over who would win a fight between the powerpuff girls and various pokemon. i mean, is that even a question? the powerpuff girls totally kick ass.

• Yasemin November 10th, 2011 12:48 AM

This was literally my favorite show when I was little. I have so many Powerpuff girls merchandise (dolls, keychains, lunchboxes, bags, figurines, books, hair ties, rings, etc.)

My favorite was definitely Buttercup. I never liked Blossom or Bubbles because they were too bossy and ditsy, respectively. I also thought I looked like Buttercup. I had a bowl cut.

When I was in pre-school, I had a best friend, who was a boy, that I would act out the Powerpuff girls with. I was Buttercup and he was Blossom and there was no Bubbles. It makes me laugh thinking about it.

• jenjencm November 10th, 2011 1:14 AM

Aaah the good days of watching Powerpuff Girls and Totally Spies! I remember having a Powerpuff Girls bed comforter, powerpuff girl stickers, tattoos, a watch, coloring book, story book….I was obsessed with it! I remember I used to pretend I was Bubbles just because she wore a blue dress and blue is my favorite color, I know that’s a lame reason. Haha! What cracked me up was the mojo jojo curses video that just made my day. Rookie you know just what is on my mind! Keep up the good work!

• Chandler November 10th, 2011 1:15 AM

I loooove the power puff girls, soooososooo, soooo much! Like how I exaggerated that with the any o’s haha. I feel like I am more like blossom. I a planning to be her next halloween also. :) I always loved Blossom the best but I sometimes loved Bubbles as well and buttercup sometimes annoyed me but i still really like her as well. :)

• Kailey November 10th, 2011 1:34 AM

I recently rewatched a ton of Powerpuff Girls episodes with my little brother, and he promptly became obsessed too! So proud :’)

My favorite was always Blossom –
    HER
    HAIR
    was STUNNING. I remember feeling awful when she stole something for the Professor’s birthday, as if I had done it too! My favorite villain has always been Sedusa – girl was FIERCE. Remember how hard the Professor fell for Ms. Imma Goodlady? :’D

• MichyMich November 10th, 2011 3:31 AM

Gosh. I used to LOVE the Powerpuff Girls back when I was in 2nd grade. I always played the PPG game, which the girls were in a bedroom scene-ish type of things and chased after Mojo Jojo and Fuzzy Lumpkins. Man….I even had a Monopoly game that is PPG themed and had a Buttercup costume at home (sans wig). Buttercup was my favorite one and my personality is exactly like her; she isn’t afraid to say whatever she wants (that’s why I LOVE her). I also LOVED Totally Spies as well – I watched it when I was in 3rd grade. Man, I wish I was butt-kicking, crime-fighting spy/superhero like them.

• Joannetje November 10th, 2011 4:49 AM

I had this phase when I was little that I wanted to change my name into Buttercup, ha.

• Marguerite November 10th, 2011 5:44 AM

I was always Blossom, my older sister Bubbles and my oldest sister Buttercup. We used to watch PowerPuff Girls every morning.

• Lascelles November 10th, 2011 8:00 AM

For the record, it was Mojo with a water bottle. And Bubbles. Dah :D

• Naomi November 10th, 2011 8:22 AM

i was OBSESSED with totally spies. in fact, i think i bought a dvd but it only has three episodes on it.

• Dora November 10th, 2011 10:39 AM

I wanted to be Buttercup :D I watched PPG when I was 7 or 8 and I had a pencilcase with them :)

• Annie November 10th, 2011 11:00 AM

I used to be obsessed with them! My mom made me a Blossom costume for Halloween when I was in second grade, which I think is still in the basement somewhere.

• Hunter November 10th, 2011 11:24 AM

I was totally Buttercup. Always.

• Sphinx November 10th, 2011 12:54 PM

I think this show is a huge part of who I am today. Seriously, I even have this theory that whatever character you love when you’re like 6 years old can shape your personality.
    I am totally like Buttercup. For better or worse.( she’s the most kickass powerpuff anyway!)

• ShockHorror November 10th, 2011 3:15 PM

I’ve never really seen the Power Puff Girls, however one year at my school on the charity week, they did a fundraising show that 3 of the ‘contestants’ in the beauty pageant was 3 guys dressed up as the Power Puffs… Yeah… :L It was pretty funny to be fair haha.

• insteadofanelephant November 10th, 2011 4:09 PM

WOW. i need to watch episodes again now. totally used to love this show, but never realized any of these cool references given!

instead of an elephant

• abigail November 10th, 2011 4:14 PM

I did the same thing, and I was always Bubbles!

• bombdiggidee November 10th, 2011 4:42 PM

me and my friends dressed up as the powerpuff girls for halloween! i was buttercup just because i resembled her the most of us all. but i guess i am most like her. ♫ buttercup, she is the strongest fighter ♪

• Thepunkrocker November 10th, 2011 6:03 PM

BUTTERCUP!

• salma November 11th, 2011 2:28 AM

The Powerpuff Girls ruleee!! and Buttercup ;D

• Whatsername November 11th, 2011 2:27 PM

This was my CHILDHOOD. My dad couldn’t stand a lot of the kids shows I’d watch when I was younger but he actually loved the Powerpuff Girls.
    My friend Kat was always Buttercup because she’s a major tough tomboy, so my other friend and I would always fight over Blossom or Bubbles. I was blonde, but I was more leader-y, but I was more giggly, etc. I usually got stuck with Bubbles anyway, but I’ve always felt like more of a Blossom.

• dilemma November 11th, 2011 11:42 PM

Buttercup was my favourite because I thought she was the toughest – I thought the other two were wimpy! Says a lot about me, since I think I’m definitely most like Buttercup; blunt, tomboyish, and tough.

• koolkat November 13th, 2011 2:25 AM

Oh I was hoping there would be a literally the best thing ever on the powerpuff girls!!! Buttercup was the best, and I found Blossom annoying because she was such a control freak. Bubbles was cute though :) I remember I got these balloon things of the powerpuff girls for my birthday once, and I even wrote a “book” starring them because I was that cool 8D.

• ihatemyname November 14th, 2011 11:12 PM

When I was in year 10 I gave a presentation in English on the merits of each Powerpuff Girl and their importance in pop culture. I may or may not have had Powerpuff Girl toys as props, and the theme song playing in the background.

• kadu November 15th, 2011 11:37 PM

The Powerpuff Girls was like my FAVORITE show growing up. My favorite part about it now is that the creator was putting together an alt rock compilation for the show and he asked Frank Black (!!) to write a song for the show. He did, and it’s great. It’s called Pray For The Girls, if you like that kind of music you should totally listen to it.

• lula November 16th, 2011 9:04 PM

i used to have powerpuff girls band-aids that i would use when my brother bit me or mostly when i just felt like wearing one.
    i think i wasted all the bubbles ones in like a day.

• tovallons November 18th, 2011 7:24 AM

Hi! I love The Powerpuff girls, but I really like other animes such as Utena, Marmalade Boy, Karekano or Sakura… has anybody seen these animes? Did you liked them? It would be great to have a post about this kind of animes! Utena, for example, is superb! For me it has been a good point of support, I mean, it has helped me a lot to confront high-school! And it has made me think a lot… no doubt it’s a very strange anime, full of symbology, but I think it gives a very good reflection on friendship, on love and on what’s being a woman,… how complicated it is! The story is about a girl who thinks that a prince has saved her and then she wants to become a prince too, a boy, such as her saviour, but the road would be really hard and confusing for her! I think that the story is amazing, deep and charming at the same time! Here you have the opening credits and it’s beautiful song!

Is there anybody else who enjoys anime as much as I do? Would we have more entries about anime or manga? It would be great at my taste, and I hope some other girls would like it too!!

Thank you so much! You’re all really great!

P.D. : sorry for my english, I’m from Spain and I’m just learning it!

• tovallons November 18th, 2011 7:32 AM

Sorry, this is the good one:

• KayKay November 29th, 2011 3:30 PM

I used to have this Powerpuff Girls pencil case and everything. Including a Buttercup stuffed toy with this gigantic blow-up head..!