Style

How to Do a Pompadour

It’s way easier than you thought.

Even if you have long, luxurious locks like Hannah here, you can still make a pompadour to rival Morrissey’s. How is that fair? It’s not fair. IT’S NOT FAIR HOW CUTE YOU ARE GONNA LOOK WHEN YOU DO THIS POMPADOUR! Pair it with the cat-eye look that Arabelle showed us yesterday and people will be intimidated by you and hopelessly in love with you. This is a fact of science.

(Sorry about the crappy sound quality; we need to get Hannah a new camera.)

• Alinamp November 17th, 2011 7:10 PM

I can’t believe you mentioned teddy girls! I’m always mentioning them but few people know what I’m talking about. This was brilliant!

• Maddy November 17th, 2011 7:14 PM

YOU’RE SO PRETTY AND THIS IS REALLY COOL.

• plutosproject November 17th, 2011 7:25 PM

this is awesome :) thanks for sharing!

• Sugar November 17th, 2011 7:26 PM

I did this when I was a very young girl, and thought I was Elvis… now I’ve married my own Cry-Baby, and can no longer have a pomp! So sad, but a great DIY!

• freydsrednose November 17th, 2011 7:31 PM

I liked the video, yet it was a little half-hearted.

• Sphinx November 17th, 2011 7:38 PM

I did this several times before, trying to decide if I should have a short haircut. It’s real simple and pretty cool too!
    I did cut my hair shorter, but not really short.
    So now it’s not short enough that I can do a real pompadour and not long enough to do this pseudo pompadour. Sigh.
    oh well

• Ruby B. November 17th, 2011 7:40 PM

Awesome! I’m going to go do this now! <3

Ruby
    therubylotus.wordpress.com

• dolly November 17th, 2011 8:00 PM

That is not a pompadour.

• fiorellaaah November 17th, 2011 8:03 PM

fucking amazing <3

• MADZ. November 17th, 2011 8:44 PM

so posh.
    There’s a kid in my French book with a terribly duck billed pompadour and it never ceases to amuse me; it’s actually pretty brilliant.

• AndieP November 17th, 2011 9:46 PM

So cute! :)

• whatsupmonkey November 17th, 2011 10:59 PM

ARGH! I got a bit excited but my hair is ringlet-curly not straight so the bit at the front sticks out horizontally (like a unicorn afro or something).

• Kathryn November 17th, 2011 11:19 PM

I tried this, but it didn’t work too well with my thick, curly hair! :( oh well

• Hannah November 18th, 2011 12:40 AM

I think this can still be mastered with curly hair! You might need to smooth it out with some pomade or a ceramic iron but I think it looks great with volume and curl in the front, and the addition of a bandana headband to smooth it down a bit would look cute too.

Glad you guys liked the video and @freydsrednose I wish I could do funkier videos with editing and stuff, but I don’t have the software!

• cocowae November 18th, 2011 5:15 AM

this is cool, i will do it when my hair gets long enough (y)

• dani ella November 18th, 2011 7:52 AM

awesome!

• dumbelina November 18th, 2011 11:16 AM

I’m with freydsrednose. Why didn’t you show us the part with the curling iron? What size barrel are you supposed to use? Do you curl it toward or away from your face? I would also maybe like to see a couple different shots that clearly show your hair, just to get an idea of how the finished style should look all over. I’m not trying to be a jerk, I promise; I just wasn’t sure why the tutorial was missing an entire step.

• fizzingwhizbees November 18th, 2011 1:12 PM

This is pretty cool…but I already have short hair and I have no idea what to do with it to make it look like that!

• Jodie November 18th, 2011 2:02 PM

Is it just me that keeps reading this as “Poppadom”?

• Hannah November 18th, 2011 4:07 PM

@dumbelina Because if I showed me curling my hair, it would’ve been like 5-10 minutes of boring footage of me doing just that, and I don’t have the software to edit it out. I would use a 1-inch barrel.

• Franny Glass November 18th, 2011 4:52 PM

I WANT YOUR SWEATER SO MUCH.

• loaa November 18th, 2011 9:34 PM

Wow, you are really pretty! And nice sweater! :)

• krilleh November 19th, 2011 11:38 AM

OMG. Your jumper (8)

• Cruicked November 20th, 2011 4:16 PM

I wish my hair was long enough to do this!

• kayce. November 21st, 2011 7:47 AM

i’m on board with this being an awesome look, but am ALSO on board with those who say it’s half-hearted. no fancy schmancy (read: imovie) software? ok, so stop filming, go curl it, amd come back to filming to tell us what you did. hell, even step-by-step still pictures (that actually SHOW the hairstyle, i mean) to accompany the video would be helpful. hannah is awesome and clearly has amazing ideas/style ~ i am living for your blush in this vid, for instance ~ but these vids are kind of a poor representation of them.

• leddys November 23rd, 2011 8:25 PM

OH MY GOD THIS IS PERFECT :’)
    I’ve tried doing this but my hair’s ridiculously thick–or, not so much thick, but very fine and I have an obscene amount. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for bringing hair pins into my life. They do a fabulous job of holding up my hair–bobby pins are just too heavy, I think. Anywho.

I’ve tried doing this multiple times, but I think my bangs are a bit too long? Do you have any tips for those of us with longer, more layer-ish bangs than normal?