Music

Friday Playlist: Do Wah Diddy

Girl singers and girl groups of the ’50s and ’60s.

These girls knew how to sing, they wore their hair in beehives as tall as standing kittens, and performed in matching outfits so sparkly and good that Beyoncé’s mom better be taking notes, and if she isn’t, I’ll send her mine.

• Chimdi November 18th, 2011 11:15 PM

no Shangri-La’s ?!?!?!

• Jenny November 20th, 2011 11:10 PM

Aw, not this time, but they’re great, aren’t they?

• Maddy November 18th, 2011 11:31 PM

this is the first playlist i’ve actually listened to! i really like jazzy stuff

• Aqua November 19th, 2011 12:00 AM

Please tell me you aren’t going to ignore the Shangri-Las all month!

• jenjencm November 19th, 2011 12:06 AM

I think the song come-a come-a is kinda funny because the Bobettes voices have that agressive raspiness when they sing at the come-a part. I like the song I just thought that one part was funny. :)

• Kathryn November 19th, 2011 12:20 AM

This is great because I’ve been really into the 50′s/60′s music this fall, and I only know about 5 of these, so now I have some new ones! Awesome!

• Cerise November 19th, 2011 12:40 AM

Oh my goodness! I love this stuff…I grew up listening to music on one of those “oldies” stations. Favorites? Mr. Postman and My Boyfriend’s Back.

• b.stro November 19th, 2011 12:46 AM

Is it just me or did almost every ’60s girl group sing songs that have even the slightest references to domestic violence? The Crystals even put out “He Hit Me (And it Felt Like a Kiss), which is kinda a disturbing title for a love song. Hole does a really awesome cover of it on their “Unplugged” album, though. AND it was written by the legendary Carole King.

• Tavi November 19th, 2011 12:52 AM

From Wikipedia:
      “Goffin and King wrote the song after discovering that singer Little Eva was being regularly beaten by her boyfriend.[1] When they inquired why she tolerated such treatment, Eva replied, with complete sincerity, that her boyfriend’s actions were motivated by his love for her.”
      Some people say it’s satire but Phil Spector produced it, and he was AWFUL to Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes, and he was her husband and producer (and a number of other women have had similarly bad experiences with him.)
      Anyway, yes, seriously disturbing. I recommend the Grizzly Bear cover, too.

• MichyMich November 19th, 2011 1:58 AM

I also am a fan of the Hole version of “He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss”. I also find that song quite a bit disturbing due to the lyrics. I feel sorry for all the women who suffer from domestic violence; I find it ironic that Phil Spector produced it and was SO CRUEL to women (including Ronnie Spector).

Thankfully, Phil Spector is in jail for his heinous crimes. Phew.

• X November 19th, 2011 3:29 AM

how do i get music to my blog??could anyone help me here?

• Mustachefan November 19th, 2011 6:55 PM

THIS IS INCREDIBLE

• Limey November 20th, 2011 11:07 AM

This is great! I am in a beauty shop quartet at my high school, and we’ve sung a couple of doo wop songs. Unfortunately, my hair is too short for a beehive and we don’t have matching outfits….yet

• ferguson November 20th, 2011 4:03 PM

I love it!

• insteadofanelephant November 21st, 2011 4:36 PM

this is just what i needed.

xx
    instead of an elephant

• chloe fryer April 23rd, 2013 6:21 AM

This is right up my street, perfect x