Dear Diary

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sleeping and not sleeping, stalagmites and stalactites, and good/bad news for Dylan.

Katherine

I think aliens are infiltrating my dreams and trying to turn me into a boring adult. Let me explain.

A few months ago I started having these new kinds of dreams, where I’d be doing totally normal things like driving or making coffee or going to school. They were strange in the way that dreams are (the coffee kept on disappearing and I could never get to where I wanted to drive), but they had become frighteningly regular for me. I was basically dreaming about stuff that normal adult people do in their normal (boring) adult lives. Where were the dinosaurs to attack me as I was driving? Where were the werewolves to stalk me as I made my coffee? Where did my really awesome dreams go? But no really you guys, I may start putting illustrations of my old dreams on milk cartons. I want them back.

A typical dream for me about two years ago would go something like this: I’m on a ship looking out across the water. The water is a really bright green. Also, it’s glowing. I spot another ship on the horizon and try to alert my crew mates. As the enemy ship opens fire on our ship, I realize that all my crew mates are zombies and are slowly trying to eat me or turn me into one of them or make me eat tomato soup or whatever zombies do (I’M NO EXPERT). I also hate tomato soup. I then abandon ship and manage to escape by swimming through a sewer only to find out that everyone in the real world is a zombie too. Everyone wants to eat me (just like high school!).

I also once had this really awesome dream where my class went on a safari. We got really lost and these plants started trying to eat us. One of the plants eventually ate my teacher and one of my friends. Actually, it wasn’t awesome at all. It was scary and I am now wary of gardening. Point is, my dreams used to be really wild and creative and strange. I feel like these new dreams are reflective of my progression into the world of boringness.

In fourth grade, my friends and I spent our time researching Atlantis and the Bermuda Triangle, inventing games, and looking in the woods for evidence of the last existing unicorn. Her name was Lunaria and she was trying to lead us to her so that we could save her from those who wanted to hunt her for her horn. I spent most of my time reading murder mysteries, books about talking mice, and sci-fi series. I was free to read what I wanted and do what I wanted. I had oodles of time and didn’t have to worry about anything except what I would do at recess. I don’t even think I was aware of my appearance or how my behavior came off to others, so I didn’t have to deal with any major insecurities yet.

My time now is now divided between doing schoolwork and sleeping. I have time to read only magazine articles and short stories, and when I hang out with my friends, we no longer search for unicorns or try to uncover the mysteries of Atlantis. When you’re younger, you have all this time and freedom to do what you want. In fact, people WANT you to be weird and creative and talk about dinosaurs all the time. There’s just a point when you trade in your Redwall books* for Dostoevsky. You change from searching for the last unicorn left on earth to searching for your car keys. I’m by no means an adult, but I feel like I’ve lost a certain measure of freedom.

I had another dream with a really boring premise last night. It’s too boring to write about. Writing about it would be as boring as talking about my drive up to visit my brother at college this weekend. I mean, it was a really long ride and I just listened to my iPod and read. We even stopped to get gas once. But I would never write about that. It would be too boring. Just like my life this week. Sorry! ♦

* This is another thing that apparently my editors have never heard of? Yeesh! This is what they are. You knew that, right?

1 2 3 4

• Marguerite October 19th, 2011 7:19 PM

NO SUCH THING AS BERMUDA TRIANGLE – I LIVE IN BERMUDA AND HAVE NEVER DIED! also i love redwall! i always liked the squirrels and otters best :)

• aliceee October 19th, 2011 7:42 PM

REDWAAAAALL!! I totally spent all of fifth grade on the Dibbuns Against Bedtime site pretending to be a mouse. But I too succumbed to boringness…

• Angie Bitchface October 19th, 2011 7:56 PM

who’s never heard of Redwall? there are only 500 million books in the series.

I’ve noticed that when I’m really stressed or upset, my dreams seem to be more vivid, like my brain is trying to distract me from real life. maybe your dreams are boring because your life is boring, like you don’t have any big goals to work towards or something. just throwing ideas out there?

• Anaheed October 19th, 2011 8:10 PM

I had never heard of it, and neither had Tavi! I am old but Tavi has no excuse.

• Pippa October 19th, 2011 8:02 PM

Redwall! I think i’m gonna have to go dig out mattimeo now.

• Marisa October 19th, 2011 8:14 PM

Thank you so much for reminding me about Redwall!! Soo good!

• Sarah October 19th, 2011 8:14 PM

I love redwall! When I was in fourth grade and my brother was in fifth, we dressed up as redwall characters for halloween. I don’t remember their names but my bro was a rabbit with a sword a shield and I was a mouse with a mace.” Trick or treat!” “Oh, what have we got here…Fighting woodland creatures….how nice…”

• diny October 19th, 2011 9:22 PM

katherine, i feel it too. my time is divided between uni tasks and sleep. that is so boring.

• Bean October 19th, 2011 9:42 PM

I love the bay area!! I graduated from high school last June and when my older sister had graduated my mom took her to Chicago because she had always wanted to go and as soon as I knew I was getting a trip for a graduation present I had said it would be California. Specifically San Francisco because I get San Fran, Oakland, Berkeley, and the big selling point, the Winchester Mystery House. It’s just so amazing there and beautiful and if I could I would go back right now. It’s greatness still exsists in my dreams though and that is good enough, for now.

• ButterflyFeminist27 October 19th, 2011 9:49 PM

That’s a beautiful song with a message that I really needed! Thanks so much, Naomi!

• Maddy October 19th, 2011 10:27 PM

I only know Redwall because this kid a few years back at my school stood up and gave a weird essay/speech about how the Redwall books changed his life and no one knew what he was talking about.

• Anaheed October 19th, 2011 10:30 PM

That is how I felt when I first read Katherine’s piece.

• Hedwig October 19th, 2011 10:28 PM

Redwall is such a good book/tv series!!!

• isabelleisa October 19th, 2011 10:52 PM

I LOVE that song. It’s true that being lone isn’t always bad, it can make you feel stronger.

• epleata October 20th, 2011 7:08 PM

Don’t worry – you will get back the time to explore and just do what you want – you just have to slog through high school, college, and your twenties. The thing people never tell you about becoming an adult is that, at a certain point, you finish all the required work to actually get where you want to be in life (i.e., high school, college, and graduate school are done, you’ve already been promoted out of entry-level positions). And then it’s all up to you. This actually happens pretty early for most people, so, as long as you don’t have kids super young, you’re free to do pretty much anything you want (and actually have the money to do it, which you lacked when you were younger). Also, once you move up high enough in your job, you can be as weird as you want and no one questions you! I know so many people talk about how awesome high school and college are, and how crappy the “real world” is, but I pretty much live exactly as I did when I was a little kid, except now I’m calling the shots. It’s truly glorious. Just wait – you’ll get it back!

• Mom October 21st, 2011 12:37 PM

Dylan I love your insight at the end of your post. very important thing to know and freeing to realize there is never the perfect solution at any given moment. your last line is awesome.

• rhymeswithorange October 21st, 2011 8:49 PM

Naomi I absolutely love your writing. It resonates so much with me!

• Elizabeth October 22nd, 2011 4:37 PM

I’ve had a lot of dreams about being Buffy so now I’m secretly convinced that I’m the next slayer and these are my special slayer dreams like the ones she had of her past lives in the movie. They’re the best ever.