Dear Diary

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Your regularly scheduled update from our diarists. Plus, a beautiful drawing by Katherine.

Katherine

I started my collage applications Saturday. I think that collage will be really good experience for me. I mean, cool parties always happen at collages. Right now, I’m really into pretty collages, AND OMG WHAT IF I MISSPELL COLLEGE IN AN APPLICATION ESSAY?!!!! Spellcheck won’t catch that.

College applications are going to be the death of me. I get nervous when I see the statements at the bottom of application pages that say things like “Check the spelling of your name. Remember that if you misspell your name, it cannot be changed. Also, if you’re accepted (hahahahahaha) we reserve the right to call you Kathine Denneys during your studies here.” There’s also the possibility that my fingers will be possessed by demons as I type in my ACT and SAT scores, making them higher than they really are—that way when schools get my actual scores, they will know I am a liar and an awful person.

Also really frightening is when applications ask you to put down an intended major, to which I reply: Yeeesh! I don’t know yet! I can’t even decide what I want for breakfast. Some mornings I really want Fruity Pebbles or Sister Schubert’s rolls,* and other mornings coffee and Cheez-Its will suffice. All end up working really well for me, but some (most) of the time we don’t have Fruity Pebbles when I want them! The same goes for majors. (OMG breakfast studies major.)

I mean, how important is my GPA? Don’t you care more about my hygiene, especially since I’ll be sharing a dorm room with a complete stranger? I don’t have perfect grades, but I wash my hands regularly and shampoo at least once a month. Also, I wear my retainer with unmatched dedication. That must count for something: if not responsibility, at least coolness. Furthermore, I love to share! I will gladly lend any classmate my Justin Bieber nail polish or my CDs as long as I get those things back. When kids ask me for a pen in class I say, “Of course, love! What color?” See, I’m just a hygienic, sharing kind of gal. ACCEPT ME NOW.

Also, I’m really into higher art. I created this as a commentary on war throughout the centuries:

Unfortunately, there’s no space for these types of things on applications. They’ll never be able to understand how complex I am as a human being. No JBiebs nail polish for them. ♦

* My editor has brought it to my attention that not everyone knows what these are. Really? They’re just dinner rolls or sausage rolls that come in these little tins. Also, from the website: “Perfect for breakfast, snacking, or an appetizer, Sister Schubert’s Sausage Rolls are made with high-quality smoked sausage links.” Hear that? They’re PERFECT.

1 2 3 4

• taylortarantino October 12th, 2011 7:17 PM

These diaries are definitely one of the best things on Rookie!

• Audrey October 12th, 2011 7:21 PM

This is so awsome! I loove San Fransisco!

• LoversSaintsSailors October 12th, 2011 8:17 PM

Oh man, I can totally relate to times like that Dylan. Don’t you just love when you catch a moment and realise you are so, so happy with everyone and everything in your life?

• Maialuna October 12th, 2011 9:28 PM

…I just figured out that Minna is the person who makes those pictures… That explains the “dreams of meat” in an earlier diary.

• Nomi October 12th, 2011 9:41 PM

Katharine, you should mention you’ve written on this site!
    Naomi, once I thought I had found a friend like that, and I told her almost everything, but some things I thought, “You know what, if I think the same of her five months from now, I’ll completely confide in her.” And guess what? I didn’t, she ditched me. So I’m really glad I didn’t completely spill everything.
    Dylan, that’s great. I love weekends like that where I just feel so fresh and young and happy.

• kels October 12th, 2011 9:47 PM

I love Sister Schubert’s rolls! They are a family Thanksgiving staple, mostly because there is so little effort involved in making them…

• erin October 12th, 2011 10:02 PM

“… let’s just say that if someone says they’re with Dylan, they’re cool, man.” Dylan, this is great! Your post made me soooo happy, and now I want to go to college in San Fransisco amongst all the beauticious people! So how are San Fransiscan colleges? …. Or I’ll google it!

• Dylan October 13th, 2011 1:13 AM

I go to school in SF but live in Oakland, and prefer Oakland vastly, but I have weird personal preferences. Research SF schools and schedule some school visits to the campuses, visits are the most helpful thing evarz.

• nagrombackwards October 12th, 2011 10:55 PM

all of these are really awesome and relate-able. dylan, yours was so nice to read–i can think back to times when i felt the exact same way, just completely happy and content and appreciative of friends and life and everything. sucks that those moments are fleeting.

• anastasia October 13th, 2011 12:52 AM

I’m seriously loving these collages Minna’s doing.

• Anaheed October 13th, 2011 2:09 AM

Me too. I sit with each one for a long time and try to imagine what her week was like.

• marigold October 13th, 2011 1:43 PM

Dylan, I loved your post. I used to live in a warehouse space for years that hosted shows and it was truly a magical time. Enjoy it! Your space sounds beautiful, can my band play there sometime?

• Dylan October 13th, 2011 3:55 PM

Ugh I love it! I grew up going to those sorts of shows in Seattle and made friends with people who lived in some, and it was always an aspiration of mine. Its pretty beautiful to finally be in a show space. Livin’ the dream, mannn.

• Felt Mountain October 13th, 2011 4:06 PM

Dylan, you live in Oakland? This diary entry just made me even more homesick. I miss Fenton’s :(
    I absolutley love these posts. Keep up the radical work, Rookie!

• Naomi October 14th, 2011 11:40 AM

i can’t tell you how much i love having my diary sandwiched in between minna’s, dylan’s and katherine’s. i love you guys.