Style

Spawn-of-Satan Chic

Who looked better than Mia Farrow in Rosemary’s Baby? No one, that’s who. Except you, now that you’re gonna copy her hair and makeup.

OK, I cheated: that’s a wig.

Chances are that at some point this month you’ll turn on your TV and Rosemary’s Baby will be playing. This 1968 horror classic doesn’t need gore to scare the eff out of you: it toys with your emotions, your conscience, your sympathy, and makes you consider the battles in your everyday life between the forces of good and evil. It’s a stressful film that makes you yell at the TV screen and fear for the health and sanity of Rosemary Woodhouse.

You can choose to focus on the scary aspects of the movie, or you can try to ignore them by focusing on Rosemary’s style. Played by Mia Farrow, Rosemary is a gamine pixie in Peter Pan–collared dresses, babydoll maternity frocks, white patent shoes, and little quilted handbags. And her hair! As Rosemary explains to her husband in the film, she’s “been to Vidal Sassoon.” Which was true: during the filming of Rosemary’s Baby, Mia got the very in-demand English hairstylist to execute that chop that continues to be emulated to this very day.

Simultaneously angular and soft, boyish and feminine, this haircut shows off your best features, and it’s easy to maintain. If you choose to go for it, try a smoothing pomade like Garnier’s Fiber Gum Putty ($3.15, amazon.com) to keep flyaways and frizz under control.

Then there are Rosemary’s eyes, which crinkle at the sides when she laughs, or widen in fear when things just keep getting worse (and worse). She makes them up in mod fashion, Twiggy-lite. She keeps her shadow simple on the upper lid, and uses a bit of liquid liner to add “lashes,” short little strokes on the lower lashline that give a cool graphic effect. Try using a very fine-tip brush to apply liquid or gel eyeliner like Maybelline’s Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black ($10, drugstores) to your lower lashline in little “ticks” a few millimeters apart.

It’s a simple look, because you don’t have much time for primping when you’re trying to fend off a cult of witches who want to give your unborn baby to Satan. Oh, Rosemary, you make my problems seem so small. ♦

• halfempty October 20th, 2011 11:57 PM

The only thing I would caution is that this sort of style works best for girls with delicate features. Always go for the look that accentuates your best assets.

• Anaheed October 21st, 2011 12:00 AM

I do NOT have delicate features and I had that haircut for a long time. Just because I had the haircut people assumed I “had the bone structure for it.” But I don’t! Which means anyone can really get away with a pixie.

Sigh. I miss my pixie.

• chloelrd October 21st, 2011 3:22 AM

I absolutely LOVE Rosemary’s Baby, having seen the movie many times I recently watched it just to look at her clothing. Every outfit is spectacular! Such a great film! I need to go through and take a screen pic of all her outfits. Has anyone already done this?

• matil October 21st, 2011 7:44 AM

I’m a bit tired of this whole ‘only get the haircut that will look best on you’ thing. I’ve wanted to have short hair for so long and I finally cut my hair last year (bone structure be damned!) I LOVE my hair. Longer hair might have suited me better but I don’t really care.

• Hedwig October 21st, 2011 9:55 AM

Woah, what a magicalmysterioussign. I hadn’t read this post and around twelve A.m.ers last night I was contemplating cutting my hair pixie for my 18bday. But I was too much of a wimp. Still have tonight though…….

• Hedwig October 21st, 2011 9:56 AM

My mom would go craZy on me.

• weepygonzales October 21st, 2011 10:36 AM

my haircut, yay

• samhatt October 21st, 2011 1:13 PM

yeah, same too when i got a huge haircut some people were all “OH MY GOSH WHY DID YOU DO THAT? WHY WHY WHY?” and told me that i looked prettier before. I told them “but why do i have to look pretty?”. I like my new haircut, I think it’s cool :D

• fizzingwhizbees October 21st, 2011 2:47 PM

Pixie cuts don’t only look good on girls with delicate features! My face is distinctly un-delicate – I have a very square jaw, unlike Rosemary’s heart-shaped face. When I cut my hair short, pretty much everyone I know agreed that I look much better this way.

• kayce. October 21st, 2011 9:13 PM

i in no way have delicate features, and i’ve been working a pixie since last year this time (inspired by emma watson). mine is actually shorter than mia’s and emma’s now, tho, lol. i’m also a “plus-sized gal” and the cut is stillnvery flattering ~ it’s definitely not just for the waifish ladies. :) if amything, i think it has more to do with overall face shape bc i’ve seen a lot of women working this cut and the only thing i’ve seen us have in common is a heart-shaped face.

• sedgwick October 23rd, 2011 1:10 AM

when i was fourteen, my friend wore her eye makeup just like that for school! It was so awesome and she got away with it even though our school is all-girls one and extremely tough on makeup (: