Dear Diary

October 26, 2011

Dreamy picnics, dreamy boys, dreamy dreams, and daydreams that go on and on and ON.

Dylan

Since I have a very low public-embarrassment threshold (on Friday I snot-rocketed into my hand during a round-table lecture class without a HINT of blushing—nothing can touch me), I have absolutely no problem broadcasting the following deep, private feelings of mine. Oh shoot, secret alert!

Confesh of the week: I AM OBSESSED WITH BOYS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY JUST EMERGED FROM A TIME CAPSULE SENT FROM THE 1970s. See one with boots and long hair strutting down the street? Got me a one-way ticket to Swoon City. I die. I like to imagine myself writing my name in hearts next to make-believe doodles (à la seventh-grade school notebooks) of the little jean-jacket-clad long-haired honeys from the ’70s that live in my dreams. I’ve been noticing a lot of these types of boys around town lately, so I’m feeling particularly inspired.

I’m in art school, where doodling in notebooks is required by all my instructors. In art school all of the things you were told not to do growing up are recast as things you should start doing now to be good at being creative. Other encouraged activities include drawing on the walls, coloring outside the lines, and saying bad words. But doodling seems to be the biggest one. Drawing weird stuff in the margins is a necessity, apparently, to become an art ~profesh~. But in a way this scholastic encouragement kind of takes the fun out of it. I sometimes like to pretend that I am still in the No Doodle Zone of seventh grade and indulge in that sentimentality.

So for this week, let me indulge in the once-prohibited guilty pleasure of teenage-girl crush doodles. In traditional teenage-crush fashion, I did do this in my actual school notebook.

On an unrelated note: I would like to forewarn everyone in the world that I am so excited for Halloween that I literally cannot accomplish anything on this day of supposed schoolwork because I am too busy practicing Halloween dress-up in my room right now. This is not my costume, but LOOK AT ALL THIS COOL COSTUME STUFF THAT I GOT THIS WEEKEND! Obviously, my dress-up experiments warranted a half-hour Photobooth documentation session. Much more important than homework. GET HYPED, PEOPLE! Get on my excitement level!

Dress up, stay cool! ♦

1 2 3 4

• moonchild October 26th, 2011 7:47 PM

I love your thoughts. Thank you.

I especially like the buttface story. Thank you again

• Juniper October 26th, 2011 7:56 PM

I <3 all you guys.

• Whatsername October 26th, 2011 8:45 PM

@Naomi, I think it’s very brave of you to be able to write about your anxiety. You shouldn’t feel ashamed at all. C:

@Katherine’s, I’m in my own school play, but only a crappy side character with like five lines. I’m happy for this though, I’d never be able to memorize the amount of lines the others were given.

• Naomi October 26th, 2011 9:54 PM

i just realised freddie looks kind of evil in that photo

• chloelrd October 27th, 2011 2:27 AM

I feel the same thing toward boys that look like they stepped right out of the seventies! They are just so gorgeous ahhh

• giov October 27th, 2011 7:39 AM

I think from now on I will carry a picture of a bunny in my wallet at any time, and whenever my friends share a depressing story I’ll take it out saying: that was awful, here’s a bunny.

• Hedwig October 27th, 2011 10:27 AM

Go Katherine! superstarrsz

• fizzingwhizbees October 27th, 2011 1:32 PM

Naomi, I feel you, girl. The fact that I am in college terrifies me because it means that eventually I will graduate from college, and then my real life will start and I’ll have to get a job and make decisions and generally be a responsible person. Ick.

• Gretchyn October 27th, 2011 5:26 PM

Omg Dylan, I have the greatest obsession for long-hair-don’t-care guys too. It’s bad. And sometimes I’ll see one walking down the halls WITH A GUITAR IN HIS HAND + I really just lose it + my insides undergo mini explosions while on the outside I keep a marble mask on…….

• Dylan October 27th, 2011 6:19 PM

Hahahaha so glad to hear I’m not the only one. When they come in TROUPES!…I kind of don’t know how to handle my body, and just stand paralyzed.

• erin October 28th, 2011 10:48 AM

she probably won’t read this, but naomi, you should totally watch the french film Amelie. With subtitles, unless you secretly speak french. but then, that would have been in this super secretive post, wouldn’t it? Anyways, you and Amelie could totally relate.

• Naomi October 29th, 2011 7:13 AM

that is one of the best compliments i’ve ever received. (if that is a compliment)

• Mom October 28th, 2011 2:50 PM

whoa your Mom was in high school AND college in the 70′s for real. I am thinking about the cutest guy I had a huge crush on in the junior class, long light brown shag and John Lennon glasses

• cancercowboy November 1st, 2011 1:41 PM

@Naomi
    no idea if you ever tried behaviour therapy for what sounds like an anxiety disorder, but maybe you should. its friggin hard and demanding and painful, but its got comparatively good results.
    all the best