Music

Friday Playlist: Every Day Is Halloween

Fourteen songs for your inner goth.

Between the ages of 17 and 21 I wore black velvet, lace, and fishnet; painted my face white and my lips black; and haunted the dance floors of every clove-cigarette-scented goth club I could sneak into. Here are 14 of my favorite songs from that period.

Oh and the cover of the mix is me at 19. Like the hat with the veil and the ankh necklace?

• lexihwa October 7th, 2011 11:28 PM

suddenly my nails must be painted black

• spatergator October 7th, 2011 11:30 PM

I have the heaviest bond with these goth jams. no words. thanks
    you look so phantastic I’d want to hang with you on thuh reg!

• Pashupati October 7th, 2011 11:36 PM

Playlists are pretty varied.
    After listening to the first Beginnings’ playlist, I thought: “well, I can like it, plus it goes well with the mag’s spirit!” but I’m happy every playlist is in differents styles and moods.

• NePlusUltra October 7th, 2011 11:38 PM

Amazing, amazing playlist all that is missing is Ministry’s ‘Everyday is Halloween’.

• Mim October 7th, 2011 11:56 PM

Nice list. I would have appreciated it even more at 17. By 20 I would have added:

Legendary Pink Dots — “Hellowe’en”
    Coil — Autumn Equinox: Amethyst Deceivers (album)

• spatergator October 8th, 2011 12:29 AM

oogh ja. LPD sounds a bit like coil on lots of shrooms

• Sadie October 8th, 2011 12:44 AM

Wow, this takes me back! I agree with NePlus that Ministry needs to be in the mix. I would also suggest Concrete Blonde’s Bloodletting.

My fifteen year old self is now off to go make a new Pandora station…

• Stephanie October 8th, 2011 8:16 PM

YES!!!! Both of those songs definitely should be on this and Legendary Pink Dots too. I honestly could have made the mix like 50 songs long, but I tried to control myself.

• Amy Rose October 8th, 2011 1:08 AM

i wore black lipstick in my seventh-grade school photo, and i still love all these songs just as much today. Mim, legendary pink dots forever! i’m devoted to anything 4ad.

• Claire October 8th, 2011 8:13 AM

This is perfect for wimps like me who love black lipstick and Manic Panic wigs but only bust them out once a year (:

• Whimsy October 8th, 2011 8:40 AM

Recently, I saw ‘The Cure’ perform half of the ‘Disintegration’ album live, and was completely spellbound; it soils my dead-pan credibility, but I truly was gasping through my tears upon seeing Robert Smith creep, wide-eyed as a cat, on stage to the crystalline majesty of ‘Plainsong’.

I might have ceased in my love affair with black lace shirts and velvet skirts, and put away the talcum powder and hair-dye, but I can still relate to this! Some ‘The Legendary Pink Dots’ would have been brilliant, as someone else observed, but I would suggest ‘Nightshift’ by The Names?

This takes me back to crushing on Peter Murphy and Andrew Eldritch, bawling my eyes out to ‘Atmosphere’ in my bewildered, depressed teenage resignation that Ian Curtis was the only human being to ‘understand’ me, watching ‘The Lost Boys’ and ‘The Hunger’… And to be honest, I still adore, and will continue to do, all of those things.

• junebuglove October 8th, 2011 10:13 AM

I love Siouxsie and the banshees!

• Eleanor October 8th, 2011 10:56 AM

might be my favourite rookie playlist so far!

• burn-your-flesh October 8th, 2011 11:33 AM

I’m usually not really into the playlists but jeez this one is PERFECT

• Hunter October 8th, 2011 7:18 PM

These are all my jams.

• sluttysuicide October 9th, 2011 2:39 PM

steph darling, your playlist is my love, exactly. and suddenly i feel hard pain in my chest because i am not a goth yet, i mean i wear balck clothes, creeper and lace and velvet and silk BUT…. i really want to be that. keep on, hurry up, gothic is still not stop;)

• airheads October 10th, 2011 8:04 AM

YES. THIS PLAYLIST. YES.

• Toilets October 10th, 2011 12:25 PM

Fields of the Nephilim deserve so much more love than people tend to give them!

• Bean October 11th, 2011 5:28 PM

I do like the outfit! Haha. My only complaint with the playlist:
    Where is the Misfits? Danzig’s a big ol’ creep and that’s always a great thing with halloween. That and I would have to throw a little AFI on there. That’s just me though.

• insteadofanelephant October 11th, 2011 7:53 PM

i was obsessed with ankh jewelry, etc. when i was younger. i actually still would probably wear it. yeahh i would for sure.

instead of an elephant