Style

Role Models

Power suits: high school edition.

We love to hate a mean girl. And we love to love her shoes. Reigned by a beautiful but conniving queen bee with a couple of yes-girls at her side, the mean-girl clique is an essential part of any high school movie worth watching. Despised and envied, they are manicured, accessorized pure evil. But instead of being jealous, let’s take some inspiration from their closets! Stop hating and start emulating!

Heathers is the big sister of all mean-girl movies. A preppy clique of girls—three named Heather—dominate through humiliation and hotness, until one of their own, Veronica (Winona Ryder) turns against them. This movie came out during the less-than-subtle fashion era of the ’80s, and there are times when the girls seem to be having a silent competition over who can wield the biggest shoulder pads. There are also scenes where Veronica is feverishly writing in her diary while sporting a monocle! But we don’t have to get too crazy into the ’80s to achieve some of their looks. Colorful plaid blazers, opaque tights and a handful of brooches from the flea market would help anyone capture that Heathers essence. I don’t know about you, but I’m already visualizing myself trampling flower beds (and archenemies) in some of those Bass Loves Rachel Antonoff loafers.

Clueless was the fashion movie of 1995, changing the lives of teenage girls all over, including mine. I even mimicked Cher’s driving-test outfit (and failed the test, like she did), and regularly sported a two-toned argyle vest with matching wingtips. I wouldn’t say that Cher, Dionne, and the snobby Amber top the list of teen movie bitches, but they’re definitely aware of their social status. Favorite quote: “She’s my friend because we both know what it is to have people be jealous of us.” I myself can totally see Amber owning an absurd collection of crazy sunglasses like the Prada Baroque shades. To work some Cher-like ladyswagger, all you need is some cute over-the-knee socks, a collared shirt, and a couple of cropped argyle vests.

Cruel Intentions has Sarah Michelle Gellar as Kathryn in my favorite type of Sarah Michelle Gellar role: SUPREME BITCH. Although her wardrobe is a bit too sophisticated for my taste (must we wear THAT many black blazers?), I like her attitude toward cleavage, see-through clothing, and brown chola lipstain. She is faithful to simple shades, with all-black everything being her modus operandi. But Kathryn’s most memorable accessory is her rosary, which conceals her coke addiction (not the same as the Diet Coke heads of Heathers). They actually make these rosaries in real life, but since coke is for losers, I’d totally keep Splenda in there instead.

The late ’90s brought a ton of high school-centric films, including Jawbreaker, a murder-themed black comedy similar to Heathers. Instead of the usual alpha-blonde, this clique is ruled by the dark-haired Rose McGowan, who parades the hallways in tight-fitting cardigans, pencil skirts, neck scarves, and cropped pants. There is a nod to candy-colored ’50s style—kind of like a Rizzo-from-Grease vibe. These ladies aren’t afraid to wear the same colors head to toe, and you shouldn’t be either. I love walking around like a giant Crayola myself. Just make sure you don’t shove a jawbreaker down your friend’s throat … unless you catch her talking shit about your outfit. Learn it, live it, love it.

Lindsay Lohan’s swan song, Mean Girls, had memorable characters in its clique, but the Plastics’ style of dress puts me to sleep for days. Slogan baby tees? UGH. Cotton long-sleeved pajama tops? GROSS. I can appreciate a ridiculous set of self-imposed rules when it comes to fashion, like their “always wear pink on Wednesdays” commandment. But the Plastics could have gotten way more creative with that one. And I bet if Regina George had an iPhone, she would have blinged that mutha out kawaii-style and have it match her Burn Book, since they are essentially similar tools, except the phone documents disses via text. We can also take a cue from Lindsay Lohan’s real-life style choices, like her infamous courtroom manicure! All you need is a nail pen to get creative with curse words (and on a fast-track to county jail). You could go a step further and immortalize one of her many tabloid-gold faces … like I did with my custom-made Sleeping Lohan canvas tote. ♦

• mollyrae September 13th, 2011 11:08 PM

WAY too correct!! love this blog!

• oriana September 13th, 2011 11:09 PM

ugh sarah michelle gellar was such a bitch in cruel intentions and loved it/wanted to steal some of it, haha.

• Moonshoes September 13th, 2011 11:13 PM

Totally agree with the mean girls thing! When I first saw this movie I was expecting some totally awesome outfits but they turned out soo boring. That doesn’t change the fact that it is one of my all-time favorite movies :)

• stephanie4786 September 13th, 2011 11:14 PM

these outfits are pefect, as well as the movies. Clueless and Mean Girls basically define my childhood!

• jct348 September 13th, 2011 11:14 PM

The key seems to be bright colors.. in plaid, argyle, and oh… more plaid!

Loves it.

• thumb biter September 13th, 2011 11:15 PM

ahh I was so excited to see the tote…but it didn’t work.

This is such an unusual and great list.

• Marie September 14th, 2011 12:55 AM

Just fixed it! You can see the bag in all it’s glory now!

• erly September 13th, 2011 11:17 PM

That must be an AMAZING tote bag.

• WinnieB. September 13th, 2011 11:23 PM

So beautiful! I adore high school movies (especially Heathers) and love these clothes. Thank you so much Rookie!

• Erica September 13th, 2011 11:49 PM

these were all nailed to the T!!!! i love all the choices! AND YES OMG CLUELESS!

• Chimdi September 13th, 2011 11:58 PM

GAHHH I love the Heather’s clothing!!!

(Guess who’s wearing a blazer,pleated skirt, tights and loafers to her next dance?
    THIS GIRL)

• puffytoad September 14th, 2011 12:09 AM

You should give fashion advice for butch-ish peeps sometime.

• burn-your-flesh September 14th, 2011 12:16 AM

I LOVE the whole aesthetic of Jawbreaker, especially the clothes.

• Lindsey September 14th, 2011 12:26 AM

I loved it! The mean girls always do have the best taste in clothing. They just have more fun, especially with the clothes they wear!

• littleDani September 14th, 2011 12:40 AM

yes, yes, yes. i LOVE all these movies. i remember the first time i watched Heathers, i was dying to dress like Veronica. i feel like the blah-style of the Plastics is relevant to the time it’s set in, y’know?

• finn September 14th, 2011 12:46 AM

I actually had to watch Clueless and write an essay on it in Year 9 English.
    Best. Ever.

• ReneeRevolution September 14th, 2011 1:06 AM

The Mean Girls outfits were incredibly dull, but also reflective of the time of the movie. However, if I were Regina George I would have rocked way more daring ensembles, while still sticking to the Barbie theme.

Fabulous outfit ideas, though. And I definitely need to check out these movies. I can’t believe I haven’t seen them! >_<

• Levondra September 14th, 2011 1:25 AM

This is so perfect! I want a mean girl closet like NOW!

• Rita Unicornia September 14th, 2011 2:55 AM

Awesome ! Love all those outfits… Totally inspiring and RGHHHH i’m speechless, haha.

• rayano-banano September 14th, 2011 3:21 AM

I love the Heathers, Cruel Intentions and Jawbreaker ones! The Prada shades are fabulous!

• September 14th, 2011 3:52 AM

Trying to think which movies have influenced my way of dressing…probably something like “Uncle Buck” where they wore a lot of cardigans. I’ve always been more about comfort than style :-)

• MrPhoenix September 14th, 2011 4:35 AM

“Eat me, Sebastian! It’s okay for guys like you and Court to fuck everyone. But when I do it, I get dumped for innocent little twits like Cecile. God forbid, I exude confidence and enjoy sex. Do you think I relish the fact that I have to act like Mary Sunshine 24/7 so I can be considered a lady? I’m the Marcia fucking Brady of the Upper East Side, and sometimes I want to kill myself. So there’s your psychoanalysis, Dr. Freud.”

Kathryn is so awesome.

• Kiki and the Love September 14th, 2011 5:44 AM

Love the coordinated look…

• Naomi September 14th, 2011 6:20 AM

cher makes me want to get a black beret and a plaid coat ASAP

• Ashe @ Dramatis Personae September 14th, 2011 8:46 AM

Girl, you are ze best at remaking and modernizing the feeling of movie clothes. Fo real.

• B23 September 14th, 2011 9:11 AM

I was in high school during the Heathers era and yes, that movie’s styling is pretty darn close to what I wore then (that combined with Twin Peaks chic.) But it’s also the reason blazers skeeve me out now as an adult. I can’t wear them. I feel like a trapped football player. I’ve turned to sweater set cardigans to wear for job interviews as the thought of structured jacket at all just isn’t me.

• Lovisa September 14th, 2011 12:17 PM

I’ve always modeled my wardrobe after Clueless. And since I was… a year old when it came out, I’ve done that for quite some time now. I mean who doesn’t love yellow plaid?

• thefondest September 14th, 2011 2:43 PM

Is that a Maison Close tickler in the Clueless set? Kinky!

I wish I could know what everything in this post is! You should do it via Polyvore, or at least have links below the picture.

• catstickers September 14th, 2011 4:48 PM

yes! jawbreaker, mean girls, heathers and clueless! favourite films. I better watch Cruel Intentions to get the full role model effect.

• Mirae September 14th, 2011 5:53 PM

How amazing is this? Now I really need plaid jackets and well, basically everything in the Heathers closet!

• darksideoftherainbow September 14th, 2011 6:52 PM

i was just looking for a coke hiding rosary! i wasn’t sure what i was gonna keep in it but splenda (or sweet n low in my case) is an AWESOME idea! i also love the cheerleaders from sugar and spice…but if you’re not a cheerleader then i guess short pleated skirts would also do the trick. i love how they’re all part of the A squad and wear the same thing but each have their own distinct personalities. clothes aside, drop dead gorgeous is my favorite mean girl movie! <3

• Whatsername September 14th, 2011 9:32 PM

Can I like, steal that tote bag? Prettyplease?

Great article 8D

• belifoo September 17th, 2011 8:03 AM

this was a great blog entry

• azra September 18th, 2011 6:23 PM

Omg I think I’ve been waiting for a “mean girls fashion” post my whole life…and the advice is perfect! Thank you Rookie!!!