Fun

Skateboarding for Beginners

What could be funner (or cuter or superer) than learning to skate with Supercute!?

You don’t need lessons or an older sibling to teach you how to skate. You can totally do it yourself, with help from some online videos and, optionally, a hand from your best friend.

Here’s a video we made to get you started, starring Jennifer Loughran, an instructor with the Uptown Skate School in New York, and Rachel and Julia from Supercute!

For beginners, we’d also recommend this book.

Special thanks to Rivkah Gevinson for editing help.

• Pashupati September 22nd, 2011 7:15 PM

Aw, I used to be learning skating years ago.
    Now I can’t because my tendons are too weak (horse riding accident at 8, plus growth spurt later, so now I’m like dead if I do sports.)
    I want so badly, still. I’d feel so cool, and all.
    (BTW, great success with making the people behind the thing (Supercute members ie, but not only) more like close persons to us, even if it’s still the beginning.)

• unicorn September 22nd, 2011 7:25 PM

i have been putting it off for a while, but now it is official.
    i am learning to skateboard.

• Marguerite September 22nd, 2011 7:47 PM

My sis used to skateboard, but she was in a phase then… i wanna learn, i feel like its one of those thing that everyone does at least once in life. But first i will roller skate

• alliya September 22nd, 2011 8:03 PM

I can’t even ride a bike, I’ve never had one. I have balancing problems, but I’m up for the challenge!

• serenaa September 22nd, 2011 8:19 PM

This is soo perfect. I spent like 15 minutes today trying to skateboard after watching one of Jennifer Loughran’s tutorials online… Getting there :p

• Maialuna September 22nd, 2011 8:19 PM

I like to longboard.

• puffytoad September 22nd, 2011 8:22 PM

I can skate around just fine. A few years ago, I tried to learn to ollie. I can get the board in the air but then I turn it and land perpendicular to how I started. Then of course I fly off. Still pretty entertaining though.

• Jenny September 22nd, 2011 8:28 PM

Oh my gosh, Rachel & Julia are the super cutest ever! My orthodontist forbade me from skateboarding, rollerblading, rollerskating, ice skating, or riding a bike when I was a teen. This video makes me want to borrow my brother’s skateboard so I can fall on my butt without my orthodontist’s censure…

• Hazel September 22nd, 2011 8:40 PM

I LOVE THIS! Although I got a little nervous because Julia and Rachel weren’t wearing knee pads :/ but they seemed fine!

• Angie Bitchface September 23rd, 2011 12:13 AM

I’ve been trying to learn to skateboard on and off since May, with little success. Hopefully one day I will learn! Thanks for putting this up.

• Greta September 23rd, 2011 5:04 AM

This video is really cute. It reminds me of my first steps on longboard.

• Margelo September 23rd, 2011 11:41 AM

just bought a new skateboard a few months ago- now i’m sooo ready to get out, and skate!!!!!!!

• Rita Unicornia September 23rd, 2011 1:21 PM

I’m a girl and I love skateboarding :) no need to be a tom boy to be a skateboarder! I also love this girls’style!

• jenjencm September 23rd, 2011 4:34 PM

I have a skateboard but, I haven’t been on it for a really long time. Now that I’ve seen this video I went get back on my board. This was really helpful, thanks!

• prettyontheinside September 25th, 2011 4:33 AM

man this would’ve helped when i was starting to skateboard

• SparklyDinoLove September 25th, 2011 3:11 PM

i love how fashionable you all look while rocking a skateboard….*applause*

• Stephanie September 27th, 2011 2:14 AM

I’m not too old to try skating again am I? Because I tried and failed miserably at 15 (like very bruised) but now I want to try again after watching that. Must find younger cousin with skateboard….

• Anaheed September 27th, 2011 2:23 AM

I learned when I was 39, so, no, I don’t think it’s too late for you, Stephanie!

• AineFey September 30th, 2011 9:12 PM

I always wanted to learn to skateboard. My cousins tried to teach me. But I fell off once, and I hadn’t even been moving.

I was quite a roller-skater though. Never roller-blades. Nope…

• soybrain October 6th, 2011 2:38 AM

I’ve been skating for a long time, but I’m kinda scared of falling off the board and if I wasn’t I could be so much better… :( haha.

• t33nagepizza April 25th, 2013 6:55 AM

T h i s,
    this is what I’ve been searching for all my life :-)