Style

Secret Style Icon: Molly O’Hare

You’re never fully dressed without a sardonic half-smile.

Molly O’Hare is a 12-year-old political prodigy and playwright who can name all the kings and queens of England and Spain, every U.S. president, and all their pets too. I first saw her in this clip from the Today show a few years back, where she held forth on our nation’s First Cows, Tiger Cubs, and Silkworms with all the bored authority of a 10-year-old girl who long ago realized that she’s smarter than the adults around her (I may have secretly loved her for the withering smirk and sarcastic applause she gives at the very end too):

As awesome as her political prowess is, I loved her style even more. With her Catholic-school uniform, Ramona Quimby/Anna Wintour bob, and utterly unimpressed attitude, she gave off a bookish, deadpan Wednesday Addams vibe that made me want to be her best friend, even though when I was 10 I could barely remember to bring my homework into school in the morning, much less which president owned a one-legged rooster (Theodore Roosevelt).

Channel Molly’s style with messy hair and super simple schoolgirl basics, and by embracing your inner indoorsiness. She makes being a nerd look like the coolest thing in the world.

Black Eyewear “Monk” glasses $210, farfetch.com

Apple image via hvnet.com

• puffytoad September 27th, 2011 3:51 PM

wowmoney :O

• Rita Unicornia September 27th, 2011 4:26 PM

Perfect look! Love it!

• C.M. September 27th, 2011 5:08 PM

I knew about Roosevelt, it is sad that this may be one of the fine moments in my life?

• junebuglove September 27th, 2011 5:20 PM

NEEDNEEDNEED those creepers! Amazing look would wear ALL of it. Love the satchel, and glasses especially.

• pocketmouse September 27th, 2011 5:31 PM

Oh wow, that girl is adorable! Complete defies the “brains or beauty” stereotype. I can’t even imagine how cool she’ll be by the time she’s 20.

• back2thepast September 27th, 2011 5:50 PM

I think that the biggest thing I have gotten out of this site so far is that kids/teens need time to have fun, but they should also be cultured. And to move along with the advancing future but to also honour and remember the past. Loved this post! See world? Kids can be smart too!!!!!

• zmariane September 27th, 2011 6:21 PM

Oh wow, that girl is plain awesome. A lot of Daria feelings in that sarcasm.
    Such a shame that I can’t afford that satchel, we would get along so well

• Thepunkrocker September 27th, 2011 6:57 PM

I LOVE that sarcastic clap at the end! She’s so cool!

• I.ila September 27th, 2011 7:12 PM

Umm I can’t see the clip…
    You know, for some reason this girl reminds me of Tavi. Might be the young prodigy, the feeling others have of inferiority towards her, or the deadpan humor.

• erin September 27th, 2011 7:14 PM

I love how that blonde on the left kept smiling at her like she was a cute little bunny or something… but she just did not react… totally cool kid there.

• unicorn September 27th, 2011 7:15 PM

am i the only one who thinks she was a bit rude?
    i admire her sarcasm and intelligence, but at times she just took it to far. it felt almost mean at times.

• raine September 27th, 2011 9:47 PM

eh, she’s ten. she probably doesn’t know any better.

• Tessa September 28th, 2011 12:02 AM

Yeah, there is a big difference between being smart and then being a huge jerk and belittling the hell out of people because of it. However, why would they have her on? It seems like a really lame guest to have on that type of show. I do feel like those women need to have a slap of intelligence, and their jobs are quite pointless, but unfortunately, this 10 year old won’t be the ones to inspire it for them.

I feel she makes up for it by thanking them for having her… heh

• Pashupati September 28th, 2011 9:16 PM

raine, did you notice how you just used a gimmick maybe also used when you were yourself ten to dismiss your own opinions (on any subject)?
      Of course you aren’t dismissing her political opinions, just saying she is rude and “[probably] doesn’t know any better” because she is 10, like you could say she is irrational because she is female. It comes from you wanting to reminds she may not be rude on purpose, after all the line between being sarcastic and being mean is thin, but it’s condescending and perpetuating stereotypes about youth.
      You could say: “yeah, but maybe she will act differentely after some time…”, but it’s true of adults too and people never say that of rude adults who probably doesn’t know better, because being adult isn’t considered to be most of their identity.
      It’s like that old saying about how if people aren’t sexist, then they aren’t sexist to people who have something considered a bad quality, not only to people who are considered alright.
      Maybe in such situations people don’t keep the person from voicing their opinions because they expect they’ll be rude or misinformed or too emotional because they’re ten, or women, or some thing else these are just examples, but rationalizing that a person is rude (or anything) because she is ten is the same kind of thinking, and facilitate the first situations where the person is kept from voicing hir opinion.
      It just happens she is ten, and it just happens she is rude. It may also be that it just happens that she doesn’t know better, just like adult Christine Albanel. (I’d say Sarah Palin but I don’t really know anything about Sarah Palin even if I read a lot of time that she doesn’t know better, but you get the idea)

• Mollie September 27th, 2011 7:19 PM

“with all the bored authority of a 10-year-old girl who long ago realized that she’s smarter than the adults around her”

Haha, reporters.

• raine September 27th, 2011 9:47 PM

oh my god, she’s so sassy. i love it.

• September 27th, 2011 10:16 PM

Molly’s love for her specialty topics is clear! I really like when the hosts ask which presidential pets are her favourite. Molly has a couple. The ladies then say, “That’s a tough choice between those two…” Molly is in total agreement. She nods her head solemnly and says, “Very tough…”

Molly handled most things thrown up here quite easily (almost dismissively?), but the hosts’ agreement that it is a difficult choice seems to earn them (if only briefly) some real respect from Miss O’Hare :-)

• Tessa September 27th, 2011 11:26 PM

I HAVE to post this because I saw the picture of her and was like, “Wait, is that the bitch who can name all the kings and queens of England??” and then I opened it up and thought it was HILARIOUS because when I first saw that video a long time back, I laughed SO SO SO HARD.

Thanks for the throwback!

• Julianne September 27th, 2011 11:46 PM

Bahaha, she makes the Today Show patter seem sooo trivial and ridiculous.

“How did you do it?”
    “I just picked up a book and started reading…”

“Do you have a favorite?”
    “No.”

She’s like a long-lost sibling from J.D. Salinger’s Glass family.

• Julianne September 28th, 2011 12:44 AM

Or Max Fischer from Rushmore’s little sister. She’s even written a hit play.

• oriana September 28th, 2011 1:33 AM

HAHAHAH I love her sassy little attitude! she is my new style/school inspiration. but seriously, her sassyness kills me, i’m still giggling.

P.S.
    @Julianne- I was thinking the SAME thing!

• lauraobscura September 28th, 2011 2:40 AM

OMG! I’m British and I think it’s so funny that this is on a style section and I’m forced to wear it every day at school! Blazer with badges and the school logo, White collared shirt, long pleated skirt or kilt, knee high socks and brogues or chelsea boots! Come to think of it, school uniform rocks! Thanks, Leann, I feel better about uniform now :) x

• Amy Rose September 28th, 2011 6:48 AM

magnolia vibes. you rule, molly.

• stellar September 28th, 2011 11:11 AM

it bothers me a bit that no matter how ‘stylish’ girls are otherwise these days, they are somehow always reduced to what they wear…

• Claire September 28th, 2011 5:05 PM

This made me wax nostalgic about the 9 years I spent in Catholic grade school. High school has probably made my heart grow fonder, but I seriously wish I had been as kick as this girl (:

• Raebbies September 28th, 2011 6:36 PM

I love the look on her face throughout the video

• powderpinkriot September 28th, 2011 8:12 PM

Best post ever. I love how she is all sarcasticly excited

• teenagebullet September 28th, 2011 8:43 PM

she’s like a little margot tenenbaum! someone should buy her a fur coat and a tennis dress.

• jinkies September 29th, 2011 1:34 PM

I think my favorite thing about her is her name! Her attitude is just like a boy I used to babysit back in the day. Very bored and 10-year-old-ish.

• Ceecee September 29th, 2011 11:04 PM

What’s really pathetic is the attitude of the Today show hosts. Have they never memorized anything?

• LydiaBird September 30th, 2011 8:06 PM

I couldn’t find anything about her play online… Was it ever finished and performed?