Movies + TV

Literally the Best Thing Ever: Prom (the Movie)

You’re not too cool for it, OK?

This post contains spoilers about the movie Prom.

Prom is a magical night with unicorns and rainbows and happiness. Just kidding, it’s definitely not like that (unless your high school is located inside a Lisa Frank illustration). Prom is a different experience for everyone. Sometimes it really IS magical and beautiful, and other times it just doesn’t fulfill your expectations. Prom is typically a big deal, with guys freaking out over a date and girls freaking out over a dress. There’s just a lot of freaking out! Which is why when I saw the movie Prom, a film that covers the stress, the romance, and the fantasy of the event, I couldn’t help thinking it was awesome.

When I saw the trailer I thought, “This looks like another unrealistic teen movie about teenage emotions and identity and young love!” It seemed really formulaic: the delinquent looks like a male model, the nerd wants to be popular, and (spoiler!) the bad guy and the good girl fall in love. I went into it expecting something I have seen a thousand times before: teenagers with perfect hair crying over love and cliques and whatever.

In fact, I was sort of thrown off guard. First of all, girls were not acting bitchy to one another. And the most popular girl in school was not some blonde Barbie that everyone feared; she was black and was a nice person. There were biracial couples too! Not to mention that even though the teenagers in the movie come from different social cliques, they genuinely get along. Also, alert the press: a girl (yes, a female) teaches a boy (a BOY) to play guitar. Remember all of those “boy teaches girl to swing a bat” or “boy teaches girl other stupid thing to get close to her” movie scenes? Well, Prom just changed that, and it was awesome! Also, when a girl finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, she doesn’t get all mopey and cry about it over ice cream. She dumps him and has a great time without him at prom. Dum da dum, teen movie revolution! Girls have better things to do than cry about boys who are jerks! Basically, Prom surprised me and because of these unexpected moments I wanted to give the movie a big hug and high-five it a thousand times.

I also loved Prom just because it was so whimsical and cute. As a cynical alterna-girl* I am just not supposed to love this particular type of movie. It’s designed for tweens, not supercool teens. It paints a dreamy portrait of high school life that is far from accurate. There’s no sex, drugs, or chaos. It’s just not a “cool movie.” BUT WHO CARES? I do not care! I loved that the bad boy and the good girl fall madly in love. My best friend and I stood up and applauded in the theater when they kissed, not even kidding. If you saw all that they had been through you would have been clapping too. I also really felt for the nerdy boy who couldn’t get a date. When that goth girl locked eyes with him at the end I felt so happy for him. It was a touching moment, for real! There was also a montage of boys asking girls to prom, and it was too good. I usually make fun of those people at my school, but suddenly it seemed so adorable!

I’m NOT being sarcastic; I loved this movie! Side note: when my friend and I were in the bathroom after the movie, we overheard these younger girls talking excitedly. They were counting the years until their prom (I think they were 11 or 12 years old) and were squealing about how awesome it was going to be. Is that the cutest thing you’ve ever heard, or what? I really didn’t expect to like the movie so much, but it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I’m sure most people would consider Prom a “guilty pleasure,” but I am far from guilty about it. And that’s definitely why Prom is, literally, the best thing ever!

* I am definitely making fun of myself.

• Maialuna September 14th, 2011 11:10 PM

This made me want to see that movie. And I never watch any current drama/romance movies…

• Hunter September 14th, 2011 11:16 PM

TAVI remember when we watched this for like 30 minutes and then your dad’s friend came over and it was weird and then we watched the Twin Peaks finale instead………..hahahahhahahahaaha

• Tavi September 15th, 2011 7:46 PM

AND MY LIFE HAS BEEN INCOMPLETE EVER SINCE

• Laia September 14th, 2011 11:18 PM

oh man I can’t believe I’m gonna add this movie to my queue!

• asleeptillnoon September 14th, 2011 11:29 PM

this made me want to see the movie. I was sort of interested based on the cute trailer but I’m glad that it’s so much more than the typical high school flick

• oriana September 15th, 2011 1:46 AM

I didn’t even go to my own senior prom… or any school dances for that matter, heheh. i was 2 cool 4 school obviously (i kid, i kid!)

• natalia September 15th, 2011 4:33 AM

haha loved the thing about the girls counting down, made me laugh. Mostly because my formal (yes, that’s what we call them in Australia) is in a couple of months and I am dreading it so much but I remember being that age, watching my sister go and getting so excited. ironic?

• Bean September 15th, 2011 8:27 AM

I got really excited about prom from the first commercial but then got sad because I thought someone had made the Laurie Halse Anderson book (also named Prom) into a movie. It’s okay though since lifetime made Speak into a movie.

• Lindsey September 15th, 2011 10:05 AM

Ah I loved this movie so much! My friends and I went to go see it for my 17th birthday (the night before our real prom) and we were all expecting it to be just a cheesy disney film but it blew all of us away! It was so cute and fun and we were all cheering for the couples and especially the dorky little kid (so precious!) and it kind of ruined our real prom because we were expecting it to be -not a magical night, but- a fun, relaxed night like it was in the movie.

But thank you for giving this movie the credit it deserves! It makes me want to watch it again.

• Pyxie Gwynne September 15th, 2011 11:47 AM

I went to both junior and senior prom with my gay guy friends. I wasn’t interested in going with any of the guys at my high school, but I had really great guy friends who happened to be gay. I didn’t stress out and we looked FABULOUS. The limo ride is ridiculously fun, get a limo if you can. Also plan for a sleep over at a friends house after prom, because you will still be really hyper and find that you can’t sleep anyway. If you end up having sex on prom night…don’t worry about it being a cliche as long as you’re ready for it, with the right person, and you’re being safe. Just don’t get pregnant and then he leaves you for a basketball scholarship and he gets another girl pregnant and then your son, Chad Michael Murray and her son James Lafferty have to play basketball on the same team when they are in high school…oh wait…

• Jamie September 15th, 2011 1:34 PM

tavi and i saw this in theaters. it was surprisingly awesome. also i love this hazel. i was HEAD OF PROM COMMITTEE GO PROM

• afabrication September 15th, 2011 3:48 PM

I just saw this movie the first time a few days ago! It was cute. Your description of the film is literally the best thing ever!

• posie.rose September 15th, 2011 5:26 PM

This was awesome. I’ve heard a lot about Prom, but have never seen it. Now I will!

I also really appreciated the part of the article where you pointed out that in so many movies BOYS are the ones teaching GIRLS things, and that usually boys are implied as the more powerful sex. Come ON. Get it together! Anyway, I’m really glad that this movie wasn’t like that. :)

• Sunshine September 15th, 2011 6:16 PM

I’ll have to see it. I saw the trailer and I was all *eyeroll.* But it really does sound interesting! =D

• Marie September 15th, 2011 8:02 PM

OH I’M TOTALLY NETFLIXIN DIS MUTHA

Years ago, I accidentally watched two High School Musical movies and loved them so I have no shame in my game.

• linnea September 16th, 2011 11:49 PM

Well you have obviously already stated that this movie was goo-hoood :) But I just wanted to add that it doesn’t hurt that the guy who plays “Jesse” (Thomas McDonell) totally looks like a young Johnny Depp!! He’s got a tad more “british” look though. If that makes sense haha!

I just finished watching the movie and despite having read this article (or the beginning mostly since I didn’t wanna spoil the movie) I still didn’t really expect anything different from every other highschool/prom movie I’ve seen, but boy was I surprised! Reallyreally like this movie. All the things you write about it is soso true. And the ginger best friend of our little “crushed” sophmore-hero is so adorable and I think most of us can relate to him if you’ve ever had a friend with a crush/new boyfriend ;)

Haha woah. Wasn’t planning on writing a novel. Anyways, excellent movie. SEE IT!

• Sam September 17th, 2011 12:48 PM

I’m dreading my prom! I was asked to join the prom committee, I nearly died of shame.

That said though, I do love a good chick flick.

• Zac September 19th, 2011 7:20 PM

hey hazel can you do a post about ‘wizards of waverly place’ next? I AM NOT EVEN JOKING! more Disney tween stuff please!