Movies + TV

Literally the Best Thing Ever: iCarly

It has spaghetti tacos, you guys.

Whenever my mom catches me watching iCarly, she makes a point of telling me that the first-graders she teaches love the show. To this I respond: smart kids. iCarly, on Nickelodeon, is one of the best “kids’” shows out there right now, and the writers don’t even fall back on catchphrases for the characters (see Disney for such gems as “oh snap” and “sweet nibblets”). For those not familiar with the show, it’s about a girl named Carly Shay who makes a weekly webcast with her best friends, Sam and Freddie. Here are some reasons why iCarly is the swagginest show on TV. Oh, and you’re not too old for it.

1. They once showcased Greg Pattillo beatboxing the iCarly theme song on his flute. It was a victory for both the show and the flute community.

2. Random dancing happens frequently on the show.

3. SPAGHETTI TACOS. Go find some leftover spaghetti and some hard taco shells now. Heat them up and combine them like those genius actors on iCarly. You will not be disappointed unless there are mushrooms in your spaghetti sauce (in which case you will be really turned off by the texture). Spaghetti tacos are super excellent for late-night study sessions or just sitting down and watching your favorite TV show starring Miranda Cosgrove ever (hint: it’s not Drake & Josh).

4. (Spoiler alert.) The only thing on that show that tops spaghetti tacos is Sam and Freddie’s first kiss. The only thing that beats that is Sam and Freddie’s second kiss. I may or may not have stood up from my couch and cheered.

5. Their satire of the Disney Channel in the episode “iTake on Dingo” is spot-on.

Charles Dingo's frozen head.

6. Jerry Trainor is absolutely genius as Carly’s older brother, Spencer Shay. His sculptures are also mind blowing. Noses on a Christmas tree, who would have thought?

7. My future lover is on the show. He likes to take off his shirt and dance. Here’s a picture of him. His name is Gibby and he really likes Ryan Seacrest.

Go watch this show now. Your wellbeing depends on it. And you’re still not too old. ♦

• Hazel September 28th, 2011 11:12 PM

YES! YES! Oh my god the episode with Sam and Freddie’s first kiss was SO GOOD.

• Pinkwitchcraft October 3rd, 2011 2:35 PM

Yeah, it really was.. I might have cried a little..

• rrp61493 September 28th, 2011 11:14 PM

Katherine I swear we are the same person I’m thrilled to hear that I am no longer the only senior in high school that has icarly set up to series tape on my DVR

• glitter and gold September 28th, 2011 11:16 PM

My almost-50 year old mother and I watch this show together (I’m a freshman in high school). All of my friends have this obsession with it, and find ourselves quoting it at almost any chance we get. My favorite episode is the once where Gibby falls in love with the girl, and they have the dating game. And there’s the boy who speaks all weird….. that one’s great.

Then again, they all are.

• Maddy September 28th, 2011 11:19 PM

Yes! I am discovering the joys of oldie Nick shows thanks to my lil sis. What was disney’s rip off of iCarly?

• ReneeRevolution September 28th, 2011 11:22 PM

Oh my god. YES YES YES. I love iCarly and I am way out of their target age range. Spencer and Gibby are my favorites, but Freddie comes in at a close 2nd. Boyfriend and I watch it all the time. I get made fun of by older people with “more sophisticated tastes” *rolls eyes* but whatever. This show is awesome. Although I don’t like the remark about Ginger Fox’s pits in the one episode; “What kind of girl doesn’t shave her armpits?” But oh well. Still an amazing show.

• burn-your-flesh September 28th, 2011 11:41 PM

One of my least favorite shows out there.

• puffytoad September 29th, 2011 12:28 AM

I don’t like how they bully the crap out of minor characters on the show and verbally reduce them to nothing. (The armpit thing is just one example.) It reminds me of how kids treat each other at school.

• loanna September 29th, 2011 12:31 AM

Oh my goodness gracious beat boxing flutist MIND BLOWN

• littleDani September 29th, 2011 12:31 AM

I LOVE ICARLY VERY MUCH. it literally is the best thing ever.

• Margelo September 29th, 2011 12:32 AM

totally disagree. nick and the disney channel have been going downhill ever since the early 2000′s. children and teenagers alike deserve the right to have REAL shows broadcasted like freaks and geeks. not some total fake show about kids who talk bratty to eachother.

• wheels20 September 29th, 2011 12:50 AM

I’m a 25 year old guy and I think iCarly is one of the best shows on tv. All your points are incredibly accurate. I would also like to add Dan Schneider and the writers are geniuses. But at the same time, being 25 I will definitely always miss the Nick shows from the 90′s.

• Monty September 29th, 2011 12:58 AM

this show is so funny.
    when you watch it as an older person, teenager adult, whatever, you pick up on hilarious phrases.
    there’s that movie with Kenan thompson and he says something about the All That cast asking him for money.
    oh, i can relate to this so much.

• lauren September 29th, 2011 1:11 AM

I love this show but I sort of disagree with them not having a catchphrase, I think they constant “random dancing” is sort of like their catchphrase. For some reason all disney shows seem to think having a ‘thing’ that the characters always do is a good idea. I disagree. I do love Spencer’s sculptures though!

• Isobel September 29th, 2011 2:35 AM

@Margelo; why on earth would any kid wanna watch Freaks and Geeks over iCarly?secondly, I hate it when people think everything from the 90s was instantly better than 00s, because it’s soooo untrue! I was 5 in 2000 so everything after was basically my childhood. The 00s brought us iCarly, Spongebob, and (I think?) Keenen and Kel! The 90s is full of great stuff but embrace our last decade, cos it really has some gems.

Also, I am 100% with Nick > Disney. I’m 16 and in know kids who watch Disney still in a nonironic way and I’m not sure why whatsoever. The only good thing on Disney on High School Musical- Fact.

The other best thing about iCarly is definitly Sam, especially when she talks about her family. There’s something weirdly dark about it but it’s hilarious.

• Lulli September 29th, 2011 3:10 AM

I love this show. So awesome;)

• Marguerite September 29th, 2011 5:53 AM

THE BEST ICARLY EPISODE OF ALL TIME IS…………….IHATCH CHICKS!!!!!!!!! uv got to c it! the chicks are adorable :)

• rayano-banano September 29th, 2011 6:33 AM

iCarly is one of the best sitcoms on

• natasha September 29th, 2011 10:40 AM

naaaaaaaaaah I don’t like iCarly too much. I prefer the Wizards of Waverly Place :D

• Pyxie Gwynne September 29th, 2011 10:48 AM

I’m 21, and whenever i’m back at my parent’s house it’s icarly for sure. I have a huge crush on Spencer Shay, so much that during my university’s art shows I will try and find the spencer-iest artist just to see…you never know. And the writing for the show is great. Dan Schnieder is genius! He’s written for & produced the better (IMO) & kookier Nick shows, All That, Keenan & Kel, Amanda Show, Drake & Josh, &iCarly. I’ve grown up with his writing/comedy style and I’m glad there are kids who still ‘get it’.

• Ruby B. September 29th, 2011 12:32 PM

I just don’t like how they bully the minor characters so much. They’re just kind of mean, and they get away with it and are still considered “the good guys”.

• koolkat September 29th, 2011 3:03 PM

yesss! I’d never admit to my little sis that I still love this show, but I doo! It’s really awesome that you did a post on this :D. However, I do slightly agree with some of the other comments: they can be slightly mean.

• nicoleoleo September 29th, 2011 5:53 PM

OMG, THANK YOU! I now know I am not the only person in the world who cheered after the Sam and Freddie kiss:)

• airheads September 29th, 2011 6:50 PM

I’m 24 years old. I was in a hotel room alone a few nights ago, flipping through channels, when I landed on a episode of iCarly. When I found myself really enjoying it, I thought, I haven’t had THAT much to drink, have I?! No, I hadn’t. The show was just good fun. And now I feel bad about making fun of my ex-roommate for watching it. (I’m sorry, Donovan. I take back everything I said.)

• darksideoftherainbow September 29th, 2011 7:02 PM

i’m 24 year old college graduate with a full time job and i LOVE icarly. i proudly watch it with my five year old niece EVERYTIME it comes on…along with <3 big time rush <3

• Rad Charlie September 29th, 2011 11:19 PM

I’m 21 and whenever I’m home from Uni I ‘just so happen’ to be in the room when my 10 yr old brother has iCarly on…

• Corcey September 30th, 2011 12:43 AM

I love this show! It’s the only kid’s show that is still running that I still love! And seddie is amazing! And I’m seventeen and proud of this addiction!

• hitgirl September 30th, 2011 9:11 AM

i honestly love this show! whenever i watch it and my parents come in they are always like…seriouslly?? you are never too old for iCarlyy my friends!!

• tomfoolery September 30th, 2011 1:59 PM

nooo i hate icarly, in my opinion it’s too obnoxious and in your face. It just generally annoys me. it’s definitely no Zoey 101 which was like.. the best. oh and That’s so Raven, nothing beats them two. Especially not this.

• GildedLocks September 30th, 2011 8:03 PM

Agreeing with ReneeRevolution’s comment. As far as kid’s shows go, this is actually pretty entertaining, and while it has it’s “that’s dumb and not funny” moments, Much of it’s quite well done. However, I remember being pretty annoyed at the “WHAT KIND OF GIRL DOESN’T SHAVE HER PITS???!?!?” comment.

• AineFey September 30th, 2011 9:22 PM

OMG! I’m 28 and I catch this show every time it’s on. Oh, look… there it is right now. It’s the episode where they’re in the wedding. Not my favorite episode.

I have a serious crush on Spencer. He’s adorable. And I love Gibby’s shirtless dancing. And Gibby’s shirtless little brother.

I know it’s labeled as a kids show, but it’s quite clever and very funny. And if you pay attention, a lot of the jokes are not for kids. Kids under ten likely won’t even get them.

• serenaa September 30th, 2011 9:34 PM

I dunno, I’ve seen the show a bunch of times and it looks. so. fake. It’s exhausting looking at Miranda Cosgrove and Jennette McCurdy act as weird, loud, and different as they possibly can.

• marphine October 1st, 2011 9:21 AM

Did you realize that the flute song was not the iCarly but the Drake&Josh theme…? Just saying :)

• Anaheed October 2nd, 2011 2:40 AM

Thank you, marphine! We fixed it.

• Carly October 2nd, 2011 10:40 PM

Not for me. My name is Carly, so I get called ICarly girl. S’all cool though, the show is nice.

• Pinkwitchcraft October 3rd, 2011 2:34 PM

SO ACCURATE!!! icarly is amazing no doubt about it!

• Johann7 October 4th, 2011 6:02 PM

Nick has a pretty good track record with respect to shows that can appeal to audiences across a wider age range than the target demographic. As a big fan of animation, “Avatar: The Last Airbender” is one of my favorite shows ever.

And speaking of shows with appeal outside of their target age (and gender in this case) range, “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” is not to be missed.

• indiegirl864 October 5th, 2011 6:52 PM

God thank you! my friends always rip on me for liking this show and i always tell them i luv it no matter what they say! Finally someone agrees!

• sluttysuicide October 9th, 2011 2:36 PM

well, right now i am really wanna watch icarly. probably it is the only one show what exactly a normal teen programme which runs the nickelodeon

• Livy October 11th, 2011 3:46 PM

From the beginning, I knew they’d fall in love. ♥

• camboozle April 22nd, 2012 3:57 PM

to be honest i dont think Icarly is good, especially how they try to depict the character Sam as “strong” when in fact she just has an arrogant attitude and is plain mean

i dont consider a mean character redeeming at all, nor does it give that character a “strong” persona male or female.