Style

Articles of Cute Clothing I’ve Seen in Movies That I Would KILL For: A List

Mmm, clothes.

I’m not typically a violent person, but sometimes I see the cutest clothes in movies and it makes me want to commit HORRIBLE bloody crimes in order to make them mine. That’s normal, right?

1. In the 1983 movie Valley Girl, the singer Josie Cotton and her band perform at prom. She is wearing a patent-leather miniskirt with a racetrack on it, and every time I see it I have a serious moment. A moment to reflect on the fact that I will never have this skirt. NEVER EVER! Maybe if I wait a few years Jeremy Scott will re-create it.

2. Never underestimate the power of head jewels. Just look at what the princess is wearing in The Neverending Story. What is this? It’s not a crown or a necklace. Basically it is a magical headpiece for a magical princess. Who doesn’t want to be that?

3. Veruca Salt is a sassy little bitch. The scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where she rips apart the Chocolate Golden Egg Sorting Room remains one of my favorites. She doesn’t care HOW; she wants what she wants NOW. What better way to display that mindset than with a red knit minidress with a white Peter Pan collar? Veruca took an innocent little dress and made it devilish. I need this dress and if I don’t get it I’m going to SCREAM.

4. Connie Marble is a corrupt villain in John Waters’s Pink Flamingos. She’s also super stylish; just look at that clown-wig-red hair! She wears the coolest cat-eye glasses you could ever see. The perfect accessory for your crazy-librarian look (don’t say that you don’t have one, because you should).

5. These amazing cake shoes, from last year’s Tiny Furniture, really bring out the baked-goods enthusiast in me. I want to let everyone know how much I love cake via my feet.

6. Opinionated feminist artist Stella has an amazing wardrobe in the 2010 film Kaboom. She wears these clear boots with silver stripes up the side consistently throughout the movie. They go with everything and look like something out of The Jetsons. Do these beauties exist in real life?

7. Makeover scenes are beautiful things, especially when they take place at a fashion magazine. I saw The Devil Wears Prada in seventh grade (during my prime fashion-industry-obsessed years) and was really into these Chanel boots. They are the hottest things I have ever seen. I’m not usually into sleek, black, sexy things, but these are so killer. Are these even boots? They’re like leather leggings with a heel. Does it matter?

8. Remember in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when Clementine and Joel travel back to Joel’s childhood and Clementine is wearing THE greatest dress in the universe? She even comments on how amazing it is! Just look at that fringe—it’s perfect! I guess you have to travel inside of Joel’s memory to get it.

9. And, of course, the ultimate prom dress. Any girl who has ever seen Pretty in Pink can attest that the dress was BETTER BEFORE. Gosh, Andie! How could you do that?! I guess it doesn’t matter since she still looked awesome at the prom, but I wish she had left this dress in its ’60s debutante form. It’s exactly what I want to wear to my own prom.

• Hunter September 26th, 2011 11:13 PM

YES!!!!! I have gathered 10+ pairs of cat eye glasses in the past few years mainly because of Connie Marble. LIFE INSPO.

“I guess there are two kinds of people in this world, Miss Sandstone. MY kind of people, and assholes. It’s rather obvious which category you fit into. Have a nice day. ”

• marypee22 September 26th, 2011 11:20 PM

#9! I remember screaming like crazy the 1st 20 million times I saw PIP. Shall look into Kaboom and Pink Flamingos! great list. Anyways I feel like Enid is missing from the list…

• Thepunkrocker September 26th, 2011 11:22 PM

oh gosh. Now I want to murder people to get their clothing!

• Gabi September 26th, 2011 11:26 PM

Hazel RULES!

• Whatsername September 26th, 2011 11:27 PM

Omigod, that race track skirt!

I would totally die for that little dress/cropped jacket thing Emma Stone is wearing in that scene in The Help where she’s going in for the newspaper interview. Can’t find a picture anywhere on google, but omg if you give me a knife I will rapid-stab until that thing is mine.

• junebuglove September 26th, 2011 11:30 PM

All of these things are so amazing they can only be in movies. Sigh. I should make a list of all the ah-may-zing things I’ve seen in movies, but it would be a mile long.

• Rachael September 26th, 2011 11:35 PM

I wanted to be that princess in The Neverending Story so bad. That headpiece definitely had something to do with it.

• alisonrose September 26th, 2011 11:42 PM

I *love* Veruca’s dress :)

They’re not *exactly* the same, but ModCloth has some super adorable Peter-Pan-collar dresses:

• Catie September 26th, 2011 11:45 PM

I honestly think I had the exact same moments with two-thirds of these pieces. Right on, Hazel.

• thistimeimglamgirl September 26th, 2011 11:45 PM

Wow these are all fucking KILLER A+++

• ReneeRevolution September 26th, 2011 11:49 PM

That dress. That glorious pink dress. I die every time I see Andie’s creation; the original really was the greatest. Veruca’s dress is so amazing. And that magical headpiece? *sigh*

• YM September 27th, 2011 12:12 AM

Connie Marble!!! Genius! What about Susan’s pyramid jacket in Desperatley Seeking Susan? I’d trade my entire wardrobe for it!

• QuirkyChick13 September 27th, 2011 12:40 AM

I love it! I LOVE IT ALL!!!

• Fiona-na September 27th, 2011 1:49 AM

Yes Andie should’ve left that dress alone!!! Think it every time I see it. At least she can rock anything.

• Angie Bitchface September 27th, 2011 2:02 AM

I NEED THAT RACETRACK SKIRT IMMEDIATELY!! how did such an item even happen??

I know this is about movies, but since I watch more TV shows than movies, the articles of clothing that have killed me the most are: almost all of Rayanne’s wardrobe from My So-Called Life and almost all of Cassie’s wardrobe from Skins, and the clubbing outfit Effy wore in the first season of Skins. I think the intersection of those three sets of things basically describes how I want to dress every day of my life.

• Stephanie September 27th, 2011 2:10 AM

Love all of these, but especially Veruca’s dress. I’ve been buying every somewhat similar dress I find at the thrift store since like 8th grade. Still none is as a perfect as her’s.

• Lunalovecraft September 27th, 2011 2:32 AM

I would seriously bloody murder for Kate’s fringe dress in ESOTSM

• Terry September 27th, 2011 2:33 AM

Veruca Salt’s dress is amazing. I’ve been wanting it for years!

I would also add something else to my personal list, in particular the embroidered bed jacket Winona Ryder wore in “Heathers” and the pink kimono Molly Ringwald wore in “Pretty in Pink”.

• Celeste September 27th, 2011 4:23 AM

Re: Never-Ending Story babe… This is my friend at her WEDDING!

Holly Fluxx:

The dress is her own beautiful creation. And she is a beautiful creation too <3

• 1000swedishfish September 27th, 2011 4:35 AM

I was really gunning for Pretty In Pink to be on this list…but for her awesome jacket in that photo instead!!

• karysrhiann September 27th, 2011 7:58 AM

I’ve not seen Tiny Furniture yet but those cake shoes are enough to have me racing to the video store xx

• diny September 27th, 2011 8:02 AM

i never saw all the movies from the list. i regret it!

• diny September 27th, 2011 8:03 AM

i forget! i watched The Devils Wears Prada on tv. Miranda got her chair!

• julalondon September 27th, 2011 11:07 AM

In one scene of The devil wears Prada she is wearing a green jacket with little leo pattern parts, god i wish i was owning this one! Same with Gossip Girl, i wish i could steal Blairs dresses sometimes!!

• erin September 27th, 2011 11:07 AM

haha, I love Andie’s outfit in this scene! have you taken a close look at her jacket! It’s amazing!

• Tessa September 27th, 2011 11:33 AM

Okay, if you like the whole racecar idea as a skirt, they have some seriously sick racecar/track printed stuff at Hollywood Mirror in Chicago, near Wrigley on Belmont. They don’t have them featured on their site, which is

but they have them in shop, I was there 2 months ago. Send Tavi to get ‘em :D

I thought I’d pass that along.

Totally normal to want to kill for clothes. Some people have it coming anyway. Also, I love Veruca Salt’s outfit, kind of reminiscent of Olive Oil [Popeye]…heh

• Coco September 27th, 2011 12:57 PM

ive never noticed verucas dress until now. agreed, we all need that in our lives. right now! <3 also liking the cake shoes and the princess head jewels.

• elsa September 27th, 2011 12:59 PM

they’re from cheap monday

• Hazel September 27th, 2011 8:03 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH oh my gosh thank you for this

• Toni September 28th, 2011 9:10 AM

I love Veruca’s dress, it reminds me of something Courtney Love would have worn in the 90′s. I want one!

• amandajudestyle September 28th, 2011 12:57 PM

Gasp! you’ve compiled my some of my favorite film-style moments! Thank you!

• Merbear2000 September 28th, 2011 3:28 PM

Connie Marble!!! YES!!!!!

• Claire September 28th, 2011 5:07 PM

I would definitely kill for Andie’s entire wardrobe in Pretty in Pink…sigh.

• Pashupati September 28th, 2011 8:27 PM

Maybe try knitting a similar race-track skirt, make a race track embroidery or screen print a similar picture on a skirt… Well, it won’t be perfect, but still.
    Yup, pretty perturbating seeing clothes you like and would know how to wear or maybe not but. And I could babble about it but it’d be embarrassing so don’t get me started or it’ll end with an execution by some cute elephant.

• natasha September 29th, 2011 10:46 AM

That magical headpiece for the neverending princess (I know okay? :D) is lovely. I am seriously contemplating recreating it. I do look a bit like the princess, so I could …mhm.. mhmmm.. oh yeah inspiration :D

• madpie September 29th, 2011 5:09 PM

stumbled upon a skirt much like the Valley Girl skirt

you’re welcome world.

• ichewmylips September 30th, 2011 8:56 PM

omg. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! Favorite movie! I agree, loved that dress when she travels back in time. Also, i loved Kate Winslets colourful hair in that movie =)

• AineFey September 30th, 2011 9:48 PM

I seriously want the magical headpiece the princess from The Neverending Story wore. It’s so cute.

• Figdreams October 4th, 2011 2:54 PM

I love Nic Cage in Valley Girls…. his outfits are amazing

• dollparts October 6th, 2011 7:14 PM

I totally had the same feelings about the princess in The Neverending Story when I saw it. That headpiece is so magical!

• darraghprincessofmonaco October 7th, 2011 12:12 AM

iona’s pink polka dot dress was made by the holy union and consecraction of pure love between color and pattern. i was planning on marrying that dress but then andy butchered it. i watch PIP all the time and i love andy at the beginning and then hate her when she gets crafty and then love her for showing up to prom with duckie then hate her/love her for rockin andrew mccarthy’s mouth. (i mean hate in the most sisterly, non-girl hate terms possible)